My Sud Wheels

PETROLHEAD

My Sud Wheels

Post by PETROLHEAD »

Hi Folks

Well its not news to many of you that i'm a Wheel Whore, Rim Tart, whatever!

I admit it unashamedly, but i thought i'd share todays work with everyone as it means an awful lot to me, and will go a long way to fulfilling my design of mt dream Sud!

Personally, i believe that the best looking wheels for a Sud, have to be period styles, but sadly Trofeo Speedlines are impossible to find, Alleycats and similar are nice, Compomotives MS, FH, TS, Turbo's, Revolutions, etc etc are all superb, but more often than not, 95% of them are 13", and Darn Expensive too!

Its also no secret, that Teds Race Sud is largely the inspiration for my own fast road / track sud build. Not just in looks, but in terms of capability (if i can get close!) and so taking a lead from that car, a sublime handling car, in Teds hands anyway, and a leaf from Toms BLS Book of Black magic, his record over decades of race car preperation and build, it was clear that a wide 15" wheel, with the correct offset, works very well indeed, and just glancing at the Revolution RFX's of Teds, is enough to tell you that the look works too. :D

The search began, probably seriously a couple of years ago, and ive been through a variations and wheels that have come close but no cigar, but then about 6 mths ago i found a set that fit the bill very well, and although expensive, and not entirely perfect, they were too good and ticked too many boxes to pass over.

Compomotive FH 500 split rims, making up a front mounted 15" x 8j wheel, and approximately 120mm T inset, were duly purchased, offered up to the car, and the love affair began!

Bit by bit, over the last couple of months i've been shotlasting parts, powder coating, sanding, powder coat again so on and so on, until finally i had all the parts done, and it was time to rebuild them, and so, thats an awful long way round of announcing what my main task for today was, and that was to finally rebuild an awesome old set of rims!

Firslty, i needed to check that the centre bores fitted. They were very small to begin with, so i had them on a lathe and turned out to fit our Suds unusual 58.6mm hub nose, and what do you know, they fit!

DSC_3005.JPG
DSC_3006.JPG

So, armed with the neccessary tools, and a brand new set of high tensile bolts, shallow nyloc nuts and lock washers for good measure, i set about it

DSC_3008.JPG
SHREW

I AM the Law!

Alfasud 1.7-16v, Charade Turbo SR, & The Dirty Diesels - GT Cloverleaf, 159 Ti Sportwagon, Saab 9-3 Sportwagon

PETROLHEAD

Re: My Sud Wheels

Post by PETROLHEAD »

So time to put these bad boys back together!

The barrels, i decided, rather than a complete traditional look of painted centres and polished dishes, i wanted a similar contrast, but without the maintenance of polishing. I also wanted a finish good and reliable enough to withstand some tyre changes , as these may well have my slicks on for the occasional track use too, so they have been repeatedly based, sanded, and re based before finally colouring in a chrome silver, and then hard laquering, which takes the chrome effect way down to just a really nice deep solid and bright silver.
DSC_3007.JPG

So, because the powder coat was nicely built up in the bolts holes, i could start by letting the bolts thread into that for starters, and allowed me to then turn them upside without falling apart, and set the washer and nuts in pace ready for tightening.

All brands of split rims vary, but as an industry rule of thumb, you want bolts of a tensile strength of 10.9 or greater, seeing as these are 15" with just 20 bolts, i opted for zinc coated 12.9's, just to be sure.

Thats rules out 99% of Stainless Steel stuff straight away, to give you a comparison, the 12.9's i used have twice the sheer and proof strength of A2 stainless steel. Its pretty, but it aint strong in this application.

But i think these look just fine!
DSC_3023.JPG

Again, this varies brand to brand, and design to design, but the torque required is usually around 20ftlb, in this case actually, 22/24ftlb, so a final check of 25ftlb, plus a small tweak, and these are good to go!

DSC_3024.JPG
DSC_3021.JPG

I have a new set of road tyres in 205 50 15 lined up to try first, so i'll get them fitted soon, and then see how they go from there.
SHREW

I AM the Law!

Alfasud 1.7-16v, Charade Turbo SR, & The Dirty Diesels - GT Cloverleaf, 159 Ti Sportwagon, Saab 9-3 Sportwagon

Johnboy

Post by Johnboy »

Morning

They look very nice now they had a ton of powder coat on them :lol:
A lot of work by the looks of it but Worth it the end 8-)
Powered by the dark side
Gt jtdm blackline
S2 33 cl veloce 16v sleeping
Freestyle superjet jetski

902a

Post by 902a »

I like these rims. I´m still looking for a set of light 8x15", offset 0..

All I found was a set of 8x15", offset 25, but too heavy

PETROLHEAD

Post by PETROLHEAD »

JB, yeah, lots of powder and sanding inbetween to get them like this, but yes, worth the effort.

Instead of looking like an industrial finish, they now look like a Good wet paint, whuich is exactl;y what i was after really.

I'm getting quite good at it actually, its a shame the oven has to be so hot, i could get a Sud shell in there!

902, lightweight is very hard to come by these days i find, but i try not to get carried away with it too much as my cars are fast road first, track capable second, so i can live with a few kilo even though i know how beneficial less unsprung weight can be.

These compomotives aren't too bad, they are notably lighter than my other set which i'll be finishing next, and the biggest difference is in the centres themselves.

See if you can guess what they are from a few cryptic photo's? (JB - You'll Love these!)

DSC_3027.JPG
DSC_3025.JPG
DSC_3026.JPG

Do you know what it is yet? (asked Rolf to the 2 little boys!)
SHREW

I AM the Law!

Johnboy

Post by Johnboy »

Hmmm
Very shiny! Thought they said momo ?
Look cool tho ! Come on what are they?
Powered by the dark side
Gt jtdm blackline

PETROLHEAD

Post by PETROLHEAD »

Ha Ha!

"Momo"

i can see where youre coming from, but i'm afraid its says nothing like that underneath the 1" of Powder! lol!

Keep going...
SHREW

I AM the Law!

Johnboy

Post by Johnboy »

Lol
Tsw and will they fit on my car lol
Powered by the dark side
Gt jtdm blackline

PETROLHEAD

Post by PETROLHEAD »

No, and err, No,

well, yes, they'll fit but i don't think you'd like the price.

I saw a set sell just before Christmas, 16" x 9j all round, but 4 x 114.3 pcd, awkward jap pattern,

£1750 :o :o :o :o

Mine are 15", and i have enough barrel parts to make anything from 8j throught to 10j, and are the most popular 4 x 100 pcd,

I'm not sure i ever Dare fit em!!!!
SHREW

I AM the Law!

Johnboy

Post by Johnboy »

They must be Jackie chan or Miyagi turbos lol
You've done a great job on them! Black looks very nice 8-)
Powered by the dark side
Gt jtdm blackline

PETROLHEAD

Post by PETROLHEAD »

Ta Man!

Yeah these took a lot of work, much more than the compomotives.

The barrel sections were all essentially good and straight, but being so wide and deep, i didn't fancy polishing all week after a hours drive! But that also meant that because i chose to go black and gold to be different, there was so much surface, if the black wasn't good, they'd look gash!

The difficulty now is deciding on the bolts. I really want gold against the black barrels, but no-one does a matching colour, and if i powder or paint them they'll be no good by the time an allen key chips it all off again assembling them, and rusty in no time, not cool!

Anyway, no not Turbo's, but i do love them, they are still on the shopping list if i find some 15".

They are.......
DSC_3029.JPG
DSC_3028.JPG

Good old English again, Revolution RFX 3 piece splits
SHREW

I AM the Law!

Johnboy

Post by Johnboy »

Revs I don't be leave it lol well you've defo got the powder coating down! Now the wet coating ;)
As for the bolts what about anodising them gold ?