My new project, finally got my integrale.

Sud 145

Re: My new project, finally got my integrale.

Post by Sud 145 »

Really got the bit between your teeth now Kev.

KevJTD

Post by KevJTD »

Sud 145 wrote:Really got the bit between your teeth now Kev.
Got to have mate, determined that next year it'll be on the road. Besides the engine rebuild (just whilst it's out, not that it has issues) it is just a matter of putting it all back together....
Giulietta JTD 170
Lancia Delta integrale
Lancia Flavia coupe 1.8 1963
Lancia Dedra turbo
Renault Clio 197 RS

I'm bad with people things
But I should have tried more

Bluesuit

Post by Bluesuit »

Will you be painting the top of the centre pillar black too?
Alfa Mito 1.6JTDM-2 QV Line

KevJTD

Post by KevJTD »

Bluesuit wrote:Will you be painting the top of the centre pillar black too?
Not painting, no. There's a black plastic trim that goes over the pillars. ;)
Giulietta JTD 170
Lancia Delta integrale
Lancia Dedra turbo
Renault Clio 197 RS

KevJTD

Post by KevJTD »

I need to clear a few parts out of the shed to make space for the engine rebuild so I gathered up all the rear suspension bits and headed up to the unit this afternoon to fit the stuff that will be staying on rathe than the temporary stuff fitted just to move it.

The diff bolts from above the rear subframe so the freshly powder coated one had the mountings fitted back on ready for the diff

IMG_20181120_152235.jpg

To assist fitting the subframe back to the car I used the 2 long studs I made up for fitting the back axle on the 155, the assembly bolts to the floor with just 2 big bolts so jacking it up and trying to get the bolts lined up would be a pain.

IMG_20181120_155357.jpg

Once jacked up to the floor simply wind the studs out and replace with the proper bolts.

IMG_20181120_160539.jpg

These handy home made long studs have come in handy a time or two now 8-)

IMG_20181120_160738.jpg
Giulietta JTD 170
Lancia Delta integrale
Lancia Dedra turbo
Renault Clio 197 RS

Sud 145

Post by Sud 145 »

Kev's patent alignment tools. As you've said before the home-made stuff that works gives the greatest satisfaction.

KevJTD

Post by KevJTD »

Driveshafts got all new boots and metal cages, freshly packed with CV grease.
Hubs had already got new bearings and been painted up, arms had good bushes or new where needed.
IMG_20181120_172135.jpg
IMG_20181120_195023.jpg
IMG_20181120_195056.jpg
Takes time to fit stuff back up as I make sure everything is cleaned and either greased or painted so that it will all come apart in 10 years time should it need to.

Still got the rear anti-roll bar to fit plus the brakes before the back end is together, I'll sort that out Saturday.

You may notice the little cradle that sits under the diff. The original cars didn't have anything there so the fairly weak pressed steel subframe had some flex in it, this little frame was fitted to the rally cars to stiffen up the diff carrier/subframe up and hopefully make the suspension location more positive. Plus it looks nice :D
Giulietta JTD 170
Lancia Delta integrale
Lancia Dedra turbo
Renault Clio 197 RS

KevJTD

Post by KevJTD »

Sud 145 wrote:Kev's patent alignment tools. As you've said before the home-made stuff that works gives the greatest satisfaction.
Often is mate, certain amount of satisfaction in finding a solution without buying expensive tools that does the job just fine 8-)
Giulietta JTD 170
Lancia Delta integrale
Lancia Dedra turbo
Renault Clio 197 RS

Sud 145

Post by Sud 145 »

I use a short stud to aid refitting my wheels - put the other 3 bolts in remove stud, job's a goodun.

Kegsti66

Post by Kegsti66 »

Once again, I am in awe of your pace Kev.
You just keep powering on and getting things done.
Looking superb with bits going back on and looking like a car again. 8-)

KevJTD

Post by KevJTD »

Dunno about my pace this afternoon mate, almost a wasted trip :(
Got all the old nyloc nuts replaced with new ones, fitted new rear discs and caliper brackets, went to start fitting the rear anti-roll bar and realised I hadn't got half the brackets to hand that I needed. :evil: Trouble with having parts scattered all around.

Settled for polishing up the remaining panels that I painted, one wing I'd caught an edge with the machine polisher so rather than touch it up I sprayed it the other week, that got flatted and polished back up, by hand this time!
Rear side vents likewise, so fitted them. Amazing how a small detail seems to make the car look better..

IMG_20181124_182355.jpg
IMG_20181124_182417.jpg
Not that much more done this afternoon, what a slacker! Not good enough :oops:

At least a few bits got polished back up though, that'll save a job next time.

Did manage to take the gearbox and transfer box up to the unit today though, making some much needed space in the shed.
Should be able to start stripping the engine down soon so at least things will begin to move along again.
Giulietta JTD 170
Lancia Delta integrale
Lancia Dedra turbo
Renault Clio 197 RS

rsfruitbat

Post by rsfruitbat »

It would be a very brave or foolish man who would accuse you of slacking Kev.
If this was my integrals i would still be trying to figure out where to start!!!
As others have said I have no idea how you achieve the quality and volume of work that you do, time and time again.

Nothing but respect for you Kev.

Rsfruitbat

KevJTD

Post by KevJTD »

Appreciate what you're saying mate, very grateful for the thoughts, did nothing much today so the slacking has continued.....apart from a trip up into the loft to find more parts!

Remembering the order to put stuff back is a worry, should have made a list of stuff as it came out with any potential pitfalls in installing stuff in the wrong order..

Keep having a look at pics like this every now and again for inspiration.... :)
Attachments
CIMG1360.JPG
Giulietta JTD 170
Lancia Delta integrale
Lancia Dedra turbo
Renault Clio 197 RS

Kegsti66

Post by Kegsti66 »

KevJTD

Post by KevJTD »

That's more like it mate :D
Giulietta JTD 170
Lancia Delta integrale
Lancia Dedra turbo
Renault Clio 197 RS

junior

Post by junior »

rsfruitbat wrote:It would be a very brave or foolish man who would accuse you of slacking Kev.
If this was my integrals i would still be trying to figure out where to start!!!
As others have said I have no idea how you achieve the quality and volume of work that you do, time and time again.

Nothing but respect for you Kev.

Rsfruitbat
Agreed, bar mine would be in bits and with many parts already on the way to the `I put them safe, but..' section. :lol:

Johnboy

Post by Johnboy »

Master kev ,the force is truly strong with you :D
Powered by the dark side
Gt jtdm blackline
S2 33 cl veloce 16v sleeping
Freestyle superjet jetski

KevJTD

Post by KevJTD »

Finally got the rear end all sorted, anti-roll bar mountings and new bushes tracked down so everything apart from the linkage for the brake compensator is in place.

IMG_20181128_162214_1.jpg

Gutter trims going on, slight delay as I can't find the front pillar trim seals...

Sunroof drain pipes pulled back through the A posts.

Outer weather strips fitted now, little clips for it though should have been on before the windows went in :roll: Got away with the drivers side one but the passenger side I had to strip the windows out again :evil:
That'll teach me, must do things in the correct order on the fronts. :)

The B post plastic covers though I'll have a go at cleaning them up or I'll paint them with the same satin black as the rest of the bits. Bit like a sore thumb at the minute...

IMG_20181128_195950.jpg
Giulietta JTD 170
Lancia Delta integrale
Lancia Dedra turbo
Renault Clio 197 RS

junior

Post by junior »

You would have liked Brightwells yesterday Kev. Lancia monti carlo in good honest nick. Did they have bonded screens in them ?

Then a rally imp that looked a lot of fun, but went very cheap in my eyes. looked like it would make you smile a lot and was quite straight.

KevJTD

Post by KevJTD »

junior wrote:You would have liked Brightwells yesterday Kev. Lancia monti carlo in good honest nick. Did they have bonded screens in them ?

Then a rally imp that looked a lot of fun, but went very cheap in my eyes. looked like it would make you smile a lot and was quite straight.
Pretty sure the whole Beta range had bonded 'screens mate, sounds like a great car. Almost bought one years ago when they could still be bought relatively cheap for a project, no chance nowadays!

Would think a Rally Imp would indeed be great fun, lightweight with a pendulum sticking behind the rear axle line, just needs enough power to make it fun! :D Saying that though the Imp engine is fairly light, I managed to carry Rob's down to the shed on my own, and I'm weak as anything now. :)
Giulietta JTD 170
Lancia Delta integrale
Lancia Dedra turbo
Renault Clio 197 RS

KevJTD

Post by KevJTD »

The B pillar trim looked too out of place, would bug the hell out of me. Thought about using some black trim wax which has given great results before but the thought of that rubbing off on your shoulder and onto the seat as you got in.....soon put me off.

Set about it this afternoon and cleaned them up, wedged on a length of 4x2 and painted them. At least it'll match the other satin parts! Loads of plasticisor in with the paint as it's quite a floppy bit of plastic but once on the car it won't move any. Adhesion promotor sprayed on first to the bare plastic should hopefully mean the paint sticks!

IMG_20181129_150359.jpg

The nylon bushes I'd ordered up for the brake compensator lever arm pivot arrived so that could at last be fitted. You can still buy the bushes but they want £50+ for 2 little bushes, some make them from bronze too. Don't like the idea of all those metal parts, bronze bush in a steel subframe with a steel pivot to move freely, too much chance of clanking. I simply measured what sizes I needed then found a place making nylon top hat bushes, a pair delivered to my door for about £7. A lovely tight fit into the subframe and with plenty of grease on the moving parts I'm sure they'll last for many years to come.

IMG_20181129_174132.jpg

I have taken the dashboard up to the unit now too, mainly because the 145 will be sitting out the winter from this Saturday and the Brera isn't exactly as easy for getting big items in and out of it's boot, quite a decent size but a high lip.
Trying now to remember which order things need to go back in, heater box sits in the engine bay against the bulkhead but needs bolting from inside the car, so that needs to be in before the dash. I ran the new fuel lines that I got a couple of years ago, they actually run inside the car along the drivers inner sill edge, one of the originals had been repaired before, I didn't fancy leaving a joined fuel line inside the car!
The pedal linkage to swap from LHD to RHD also looks like it needs to be in place before the dash as the heater outlets will go in front of the cross linkages, the servo inside the engine bay holds the section inside the car in place so I'll need to sort the servo out ready for next trip, next Wednesday. Ay work all day Saturday and off to see Ade at the Rally Sunday so nothing much will get done to it this weekend.

Is nice though to start actually putting stuff back on, assuming I start to remember what goes where!! :)
Giulietta JTD 170
Lancia Delta integrale
Lancia Dedra turbo
Renault Clio 197 RS

Veesix75

Post by Veesix75 »

Rear end looks good... :D

junior

Post by junior »

KevJTD wrote:
junior wrote:You would have liked Brightwells yesterday Kev. Lancia monti carlo in good honest nick. Did they have bonded screens in them ?

Pretty sure the whole Beta range had bonded 'screens mate, sounds like a great car. Almost bought one years ago when they could still be bought relatively cheap for a project, no chance nowadays!

Would think a Rally Imp would indeed be great fun, lightweight with a pendulum sticking behind the rear axle line, just needs enough power to make it fun! :D Saying that though the Imp engine is fairly light, I managed to carry Rob's down to the shed on my own, and I'm weak as anything now. :)
It had a BMW K100 engine ! :D

Veesix75

Post by Veesix75 »

Imp looked a bargain and awesome fun / power........if I’d known I’d have bought it :D

KevJTD

Post by KevJTD »

Did see one at an NEC show a few years back with a BMW bike engine in, seems like a good idea :D

At work a full day today then brought Brera home so not a lot of chance to do anything Lancia related.

Did get a couple of hours down the shed to have a move around though and dig some parts out that I'd not seen for a year or two, the engine will be getting a full strip down starting asap. Be nice to get the block and head refaced plus the crank checked and polished before Christmas so that I can start the rebuild. Nothing really wrong with it so hoping not to find anything drastic, done 125k though so well due a refresh.

Happliy the engine hasn't suffered any ill effects from being stood idle, no rust formed in bores or anything, seems oiling it then wrapping it oily rags has helped it, mind you there was enough oil on the outside to begin with!
Attachments
IMG_20181201_213610.jpg
IMG_20181201_213719.jpg
IMG_20181201_213738.jpg
Giulietta JTD 170
Lancia Delta integrale
Lancia Dedra turbo
Renault Clio 197 RS

alfadave

Post by alfadave »

Looks like the 2.0 8v engine.
Got the same block in my Beta 2000ie, and have an oil leak running down the back of the block.....like it seems you had.

Its very difficult to see where its leaking from, but I suspect the cambox/head gasket.

Wondered if you had figured out the source of the oil leak?

Coming up to 222k on mine, and its never had a rebuild, so you're ok for a few more miles on yours!

alfadave

Post by alfadave »

..........the back of my block is the exhaust side.

KevJTD

Post by KevJTD »

Yes, basically the same engine through the Lancia/Fiat range, the famous Lampredi twin-cam. Some differences between applications, the Fiat got different distributor drive location etc.
Never had the car running enough to spot where any issues were coming from, so everything will be stripped and cleaned etc.
Plan on getting the block refaced along with the head so a group N head gasket can be used with assurity that a flat surface on both sides are available.
Should be able to make a good start on it this wwek in the evenings as it's only down the shed at home, no excuses.
Got to make another cam pulley holding too lt though as this one has differing holes that don't fit my home made item I knocked up a few years back for Sud engines.
Giulietta JTD 170
Lancia Delta integrale
Lancia Dedra turbo
Renault Clio 197 RS

KevJTD

Post by KevJTD »

Made up a tool to hold the cam pulleys tonight so I could undo the bolts, did the job a treat.

IMG_20181203_194553_BURST001_COVER.jpg
Decided to best place to keep it and give more leverage was to weld it to the triangular one I made up for Sud engines, keeps things together :)

IMG_20181203_194642.jpg
Got the head stripped down now, no real issues found. Valves look good so should clean up well, guides are in great order so shouldn't need changing. Valves are pretty big though, 36mm exhaust and 43mm inlets. Thought they may have been upgraded but on checking they are the standard size..

IMG_20181203_204130.jpg

Overall happy with the head, next step to start the block stripdown...
Giulietta JTD 170
Lancia Delta integrale
Lancia Dedra turbo
Renault Clio 197 RS

KevJTD

Post by KevJTD »

Back to the car this afternoon after calling in on Jim who'd saved the day by finding my missing A post trim seal, well done that man!

I'd already loaded up the Brera with the windscreen and door glass along with loads of other bits so that was first job, clean up the windscreen seal.

Eventually the 'screen went in just fine, handy with no doors on so I could reach through and keep the seal moving with one hand and thump the glass with the other. Happily the windscreen aperture repairs still allowed the glass to fit well! :)

With the newly found pillar seals the gutter trims and A post trims went on next.

The B post trims completed the sating black look, I've ordered some new little Lancia badges for the B post trims as the old ones were a bit flaky.
IMG_20181205_182946.jpg
IMG_20181205_183024.jpg
With the 'screen now in and me constantly fretting about the doors perched on a trestle I thought I'd sort the seals out ready for them to be fitted to the doors. They wedge into a groove all around the door, frame and all, quite a slow and fiddly process not to mention painful to your fingers using a plastic lever to guide the seal in.

My tried and tested method of fitting it then, long stud in top hinge point and slide it in place, latch the door then fit all the bolts in the hinge.

Once tight then take the door latch off and adjust the door hinge bolts to get the desired alignment, once happy then refit the latch ensuring a smooth operation.

Chuffed with the afternoon/evenings work really as a lot of stuff needed sorting and finding, cleaned the other door seal ready plus the door glass. So Saturday I should be able to get some more done.

IMG_20181205_201201.jpg
IMG_20181205_205050.jpg
IMG_20181205_205110.jpg
Giulietta JTD 170
Lancia Delta integrale
Lancia Dedra turbo
Renault Clio 197 RS