Sending Private Messages, PM's & Outbox Notification

Advice on how to navigate and use the less self explanatory functions on the website
PETROLHEAD

Sending Private Messages, PM's & Outbox Notification

Post by PETROLHEAD »

Hi everyone

It appears that our little website has a rather useful function, but one that we aren't perhaps so familiar with, so if i explain it first, we'll see how we live with it, and if its proven to be more confusing than its worth, we'll amend it.

When sending another member a Private Message, a PM, it will remain in your Outbox counter, eg (Outbox 1), and to the unfamiliar, appear as if its hanging around and not going anywhere.

We are more used to seeing it leave the Outbox, and immediately show as a Sent Message, but this is not the case here.

In fact, it will show as Outbox 1 until the recipient picks the message up, and only then it will show in your Sent folder, thus proving that your recipient has logged in, collected and read your message.

So it is a useful tool for indicating that your message has actually been read, and even more useful in that at any time prior to being read, you can go back and select it from your Outbox, and edit it with any amendments you may feel necessary.

We shall see how we get on with it for now, and gauge its usefulness against confusion!

Thank you for your understanding

Shrew
SHREW

I AM the Law!

Alfasud 1.7-16v, Charade Turbo SR, & The Dirty Diesels - GT Cloverleaf, 159 Ti Sportwagon, Saab 9-3 Sportwagon

KevJTD

Re: Sending Private Messages, PM's & Outbox Notification

Post by KevJTD »

must admit, i was a bit confused.
like when waiting for a text message to send and it not going anywhere :?

but i think once we get used to it it will become a great feature. 8-)
Giulietta JTD 170
Lancia Delta integrale
Lancia Flavia coupe 1.8 1963
Lancia Dedra turbo
Renault Clio 197 RS

I'm bad with people things
But I should have tried more

PETROLHEAD

Post by PETROLHEAD »

Agreed!

ps - stop abusing your moderator powers! ha ha! i thought i'd locked this topic as info rather than discussion! LOL! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
SHREW

I AM the Law!

Alfasud 1.7-16v, Charade Turbo SR, & The Dirty Diesels - GT Cloverleaf, 159 Ti Sportwagon, Saab 9-3 Sportwagon

vecchioalfa

Post by vecchioalfa »

Ah ha, I now understand this, John sorry for sending you 2 messages both exactly the same! ....... :)

Sud 145

Post by Sud 145 »

Once you read a PM does it just disappear or are they stored somewhere that I haven't found yet? Ta.

KevJTD

Post by KevJTD »

Tony, if you click on the tab at top left "user control panel" the next screen has a red tab about half way down on the left "overview" which produces a drop down box, click on "private messages"
on the next screen you get another pair of red tabs down the left side, click on the "compose message" which will give another drop down box where you can find your "inbox"

they are stored there and can be deleted as required
likewise the sent messages could be checked and deleted if you've done with them
we made a generous allowance for each member even though there is no joining fee (remember where we could only get about 20 messages without paying a subscription ;) ) so although there is a lot of space eventually it'll get full, we have allowed 200 messages per member so should be useable for everyone

hope that helps mate ;)
Giulietta JTD 170
Lancia Delta integrale
Lancia Flavia coupe 1.8 1963
Lancia Dedra turbo
Renault Clio 197 RS

I'm bad with people things
But I should have tried more