GTV TS project

KevJTD

GTV TS project

Post by KevJTD »

I bought this a week or two ago, needs a bit of TLC so as I have the car at home to tinker with of an evening I figured a little mini project thread is in order.
As can be seen, it's a little faded, or more like its' sunburnt and now peeling!
Giulietta JTD 170
Lancia Delta integrale
Lancia Flavia coupe 1.8 1963
Lancia Dedra turbo
Renault Clio 197 RS

I'm bad with people things
But I should have tried more

KevJTD

Re: GTV TS project

Post by KevJTD »

KevJTD wrote:
Thu Jul 01, 2021 10:36 pm
I bought this a week or two ago, needs a bit of TLC so as I have the car at home to tinker with of an evening I figured a little mini project thread is in order.
As can be seen, it's a little faded, or more like its' sunburnt and now peeling!
Attachments
IMG_20210619_150106.jpg
IMG_20210619_150112.jpg
IMG_20210619_150056.jpg
IMG_20210612_133818.jpg
Giulietta JTD 170
Lancia Delta integrale
Lancia Dedra turbo
Renault Clio 197 RS

KevJTD

Post by KevJTD »

It does have the electric sunroof though as you can see, but that is making some graunching noises when raised and lowered....
Also has AC so that's handy, very modern 8-) :D
Nice black Alfa scripted leather seats too.
It has covered about 81k with not a rediculous amount of owners, bit of history, being red (or potentially red...) so it could be a keeper.. But you never can tell..

First job as ever is to sort the cambelt. It had actually been done not that many miles ago but near 5 years ago now, it's been stood for the last 3 years or thereabouts I recall.
Got a reasonable deal on a cambelt/balance belt kit, SKF brand so decent quality. Did the water pump too for good measure.
A few bits of old damage to the belt guards to sort, gotta make it right.
Attachments
IMG_20210701_183517.jpg
IMG_20210701_183552.jpg
IMG_20210701_183532.jpg
Giulietta JTD 170
Lancia Delta integrale
Lancia Dedra turbo
Renault Clio 197 RS

KevJTD

Post by KevJTD »

There's plenty to be going at, some rot around the inside of the sills/rear arches.
Plan is to get it ship shape for an mot then use it a bit, brakes all need a going through of course and the exhaust is making a racket but confident a ticket can be got without too much hassle..... :roll: :D
Attachments
IMG_20210621_191822.jpg
IMG_20210621_191755.jpg
Giulietta JTD 170
Lancia Delta integrale
Lancia Dedra turbo
Renault Clio 197 RS

LooLooSud33Spider

Post by LooLooSud33Spider »

I’ve got some belt covers here for you Kev
Alfasud Ti 1984
Alfa Spider 2.0 Ts 916
Alfa Spider 20v Turbo

KevJTD

Post by KevJTD »

Ah, did wonder Lou. Did think I'd leave it off until we come over to yours as this one has been running with the lower bolt sheared which let the auxbelt gouge a fairly sustantial hole in it, not ideal for keeping debris out of the belts!
On that note I may well polish up the cam cover and spark plug covers whilst they're off as they've gone very powdery rather than fit it all back on.
Giulietta JTD 170
Lancia Delta integrale
Lancia Dedra turbo
Renault Clio 197 RS

Kegsti66

Post by Kegsti66 »

Ya !! Well done Kev. Another project, just what you needed. :shock:
Rather fond of the old 916 GTV.
I had one and it was great fun to drive, till it went bang. :roll:
Sun roof and A/C that must be rare.

alfadave

Post by alfadave »

Doesn't seem to be a heading for the 916 GTV !

You must have crept in under cover of darkness.

KevJTD

Post by KevJTD »

Not done a great deal to the GTV lately aside from collecting all the parts from Lou and then fitting the brakes to the front in place of the heavily rusted discs on the car, some as new discs and Carbon Lorraine pads will be a nice upgrade. New hoses were in the car so that's the front end sorted. I also got some Koni Struts for it but I'll aim to get it up and running first.

A new middle and rear exhaust was eventually found and ordered, who would have thought that it would be so hard to find one?! Rear box came from Germany! Still cost be over £150 for the pair which hurts...

Got the car parked ready for the welding to the ends of the sills where the jacking point is near, knew it would need a bit of fettling but thankfully it's not that bad.
IMG_20210823_191109.jpg
End of the sill will need a bit of chopping out but it's fairly localised.
IMG_20210823_191049.jpg
Seems Alfa were still in the habit of inserting stuff in the sill sections that really ought not to be in there... Back in the Sud days we moaned about the foam in there!
IMG_20210823_191309.jpg
The car will eventually need some bodywork attending to but for now I'd be content to get it to an mot pass standard.
IMG_20210823_191151.jpg
Giulietta JTD 170
Lancia Delta integrale
Lancia Dedra turbo
Renault Clio 197 RS

LooLooSud33Spider

Btw Kev. I’ve found another pair of rear arch liners if you need them.
Also Kev. It you ever want to do some track days. I’ve got a set of 7x15 compomotive 5 spokes with almost new Yokohama’s (TS cup control tyres)
Alfasud Ti 1984
Alfa Spider 2.0 Ts 916
Alfa Spider 20v Turbo

Alfastrut

Post by Alfastrut »

KevJTD wrote:
Mon Aug 23, 2021 10:08 pm
Not done a great deal to the GTV lately aside from collecting all the parts from Lou and then fitting the brakes to the front in place of the heavily rusted discs on the car, some as new discs and Carbon Lorraine pads will be a nice upgrade. New hoses were in the car so that's the front end sorted. I also got some Koni Struts for it but I'll aim to get it up and running first.

A new middle and rear exhaust was eventually found and ordered, who would have thought that it would be so hard to find one?! Rear box came from Germany! Still cost be over £150 for the pair which hurts...

Got the car parked ready for the welding to the ends of the sills where the jacking point is near, knew it would need a bit of fettling but thankfully it's not that bad.

IMG_20210823_191109.jpg

End of the sill will need a bit of chopping out but it's fairly localised.

IMG_20210823_191049.jpg

Seems Alfa were still in the habit of inserting stuff in the sill sections that really ought not to be in there... Back in the Sud days we moaned about the foam in there!

IMG_20210823_191309.jpg

The car will eventually need some bodywork attending to but for now I'd be content to get it to an mot pass standard.

IMG_20210823_191151.jpg
I welded the rear end of the sill on my 147 earlier in the year . When I cut the rot out I found a large piece of foam sat in the sill exactly where the rot was .

alfadave

Post by alfadave »

My sons 2007 Brera had a front undertray, with foam on top.
Wet foam caused the subframe to rust.
Its since gone in the skip!

KevJTD

Post by KevJTD »

I know, it's madness isn't it!
I had a GT a while back and that had foam insid ethe sills, but to make matters worse the foam was wrapped in plastic!!! :roll:
Can only imagine it's for sound deadening, or to kill the cars before the electronics give out! :lol:
Giulietta JTD 170
Lancia Delta integrale
Lancia Dedra turbo
Renault Clio 197 RS

KevJTD

Post by KevJTD »

Passenger side all welded up now, strange to be doing it at home again, brought back memories of the suds that've been done here.
IMG_20210828_163711.jpg
IMG_20210828_163718.jpg
Primer and stonechip will suffice. Its all covered up by the sill cover and wheel arch liner so no need to go crazy. I'll let it dry off for a week or two before putting the arch liner back in, some cavity wax over and inside the repairs before the liner goes in should keep it good for a few years.
IMG_20210828_171223.jpg
IMG_20210828_171230.jpg
Managed to get the car started after finding a battery and charging it up, so tomorrow afternoon after the motogp I'll tackle the drivers side.
Slightly worse but pretty much the same really.
IMG_20210828_192156.jpg
Whilst the repairs dry off I can get the new middle and rear exhaust sections fitted one evening or next weekend. Then it's just the rear brakes to change and it'll be about ready for the MoT test. The Y10 is on ebay and has a bid so that should be going soon... Albeit at the mercy of the hassle of ebay with people bidding and not turning up, I really do hope the sale goes smoothly.. Then the GTV can have the insurance transferred from the Y10 and I may actually get to drive it...
Giulietta JTD 170
Lancia Delta integrale
Lancia Dedra turbo
Renault Clio 197 RS

Alfastrut

Post by Alfastrut »

Nice repair . What spot welder are you using ?

KevJTD

Post by KevJTD »

Alfastrut wrote:
Sun Aug 29, 2021 6:19 pm
Cheers, thanks. Happy with how it went all things considered.

My spot welder I bought from Machine Mart a few years back and actually didn't use it for a while as I thought it'd be too much of a faff. But it's one of the best bits of kit I own really. Got it on one of their VAT free days that they often have s not quite such a huge sting but even now they're more expensive, econ I paid around £400 for mie, pre VAT price.
Makes a neat job and best of all there's no weld cleaning to do!

https://www.machinemart.co.uk/p/csw6t-spot-welder/
Giulietta JTD 170
Lancia Delta integrale
Lancia Dedra turbo
Renault Clio 197 RS

KevJTD

Post by KevJTD »

Did the drivers side this afternoon, was a bit worse than the other side as predicted but that just meant bigger patches!
Attachments
IMG_20210829_180426.jpg
IMG_20210829_180441.jpg
Giulietta JTD 170
Lancia Delta integrale
Lancia Dedra turbo
Renault Clio 197 RS

Alfastrut

Post by Alfastrut »

KevJTD wrote:
Sun Aug 29, 2021 7:55 pm
Alfastrut wrote:

My spot welder I bought from Machine Mart a few years back and actually didn't use it for a while as I thought it'd be too much of a faff. But it's one of the best bits of kit I own really. Got it on one of their VAT free days that they often have s not quite such a huge sting but even now they're more expensive, econ I paid around £400 for mie, pre VAT price.

I didn't know they did one with a 13 amp plug fitted. Looks like a nice bit of kit . I'm not sure it would work with the 25 m extension cable I'm using for power at the moment. No grinding has to be great and it looks original .

Alfastrut

Post by Alfastrut »

Alfastrut wrote:
Sun Aug 29, 2021 9:10 pm
KevJTD wrote:
Alfastrut wrote:

I didn't know they did one with a 13 amp plug fitted. Looks like a nice bit of kit . I'm not sure it would work with the 25 m extension cable I'm using for power at the moment. No grinding has to be great and it looks original .
I've just read the description . It doesn't work on a 13amp plug . It would definitely fry an extension cable !

KevJTD

Post by KevJTD »

Alfastrut wrote:
KevJTD wrote:
Alfastrut wrote:

It does say in the instruction manual "miust not be fitted with a 13A plug"......which I did imediately! :lol:
I've used it in my little unit without issue, the electric supply in there isn't great.
On the GTV today it was plugged into a 25M extension reel, which was plugged into my garden shed....all worked fine ;)
Giulietta JTD 170
Lancia Delta integrale
Lancia Dedra turbo
Renault Clio 197 RS

Alfastrut

Post by Alfastrut »

KevJTD wrote:
Sun Aug 29, 2021 9:16 pm
Alfastrut wrote:
KevJTD wrote:

It does say in the instruction manual "miust not be fitted with a 13A plug"......which I did imediately! :lol:
I've used it in my little unit without issue, the electric supply in there isn't great.
On the GTV today it was plugged into a 25M extension reel, which was plugged into my garden shed....all worked fine ;)
The welds look good . If it works it works . When needed must . :D

KevJTD

Post by KevJTD »

Yes, they must have a huge current draw so I did expect it to trip out the shed at least, but it worked so kept going!
The copper arms do get very hot though so you have to be careful where you grab it or put your forearms across it!
Giulietta JTD 170
Lancia Delta integrale
Lancia Dedra turbo
Renault Clio 197 RS

Alfastrut

Post by Alfastrut »

KevJTD wrote:
Sun Aug 29, 2021 9:26 pm
Yes, they must have a huge current draw so I did expect it to trip out the shed at least, but it worked so kept going!
The copper arms do get very hot though so you have to be careful where you grab it or put your forearms across it!
When it said 6kw that's nearly 30 amps. It must not be blowing the fuse due to the short duration of current draw.

KevJTD

Post by KevJTD »

Amongst other weekend tasks I finally got the middle and rear exhaust boxes fitted, pleased to have the space back in the shed! Kept tripping up on them.
I'll try and get the rear brakes sorted this week in the evenings, then about ready for the mot. Have got the front pipe to change too I reckon, now the din that the rear sections were making has gone I can hear a little blow somewhere although I can't pinpoint it, probably within the little flexi section on it. Have one in stock so just a new gasket to buy, so not the end of the world cost wise.
Attachments
IMG_20210905_193629.jpg
Giulietta JTD 170
Lancia Delta integrale
Lancia Dedra turbo
Renault Clio 197 RS

LooLooSud33Spider

Looking good Kev
Alfasud Ti 1984
Alfa Spider 2.0 Ts 916
Alfa Spider 20v Turbo

KevJTD

Post by KevJTD »

To update on the gtv, not that I've been slacking...
The exhaust front pipe needed changing and handily enough there was a good one in the spares package from Lou.
IMG_20210912_133525.jpg
A couple of other bits and bobs to do like get the indicators working, new wiper blades etc then a test was booked..
IMG_20210929_080155.jpg
Giulietta JTD 170
Lancia Delta integrale
Lancia Dedra turbo
Renault Clio 197 RS

KevJTD

Post by KevJTD »

With a fresh mot pass, first one since 2013 it transpires, I taxed it for October 1st, last weekend..
Now the fun started.

Despite running fine all this time, and to the test centre and back it refused point blank to turn over last Friday night, or even illuminate the oil and battery lights.

Last Sunday I set about checking things out, but without wiring diagrams I was a bit in the dark. I had an igntion switch from a Delta to hand but that improved nothing, my limited electrical knowledge couldn't fathom it out and there were some strange voltage readings in places.

The threat made to it that I'd chop it up, Basil Fawlty style, still produced no joy so I left it to sit and stew while I tried to find a wiring diagram, hoping it would come with some enthusiasm!

It dawned on me last Tuesday while mulling it over at work, what is the one thing that is an issue and I always preach to check? Earths... As the issue was with the starter motor and anything engine related then could it be a poor earth cable in the engine bay? After all, the heater blower, handbrake warning light, headlights etc were all working fine.
A jump lead clamped to the engine and to the chassis to test it more in hope than expectation, and hey presto all well again!
Removed the lead and back to not working, clamp back on and all OK so that proved it, the earth cable must have given up the ghost!

A couple of new ones sourced ready for the final fit today, one I fitted from the gearbox to the chassis near the airbox, the other from the cylinder head to the other side chassis.

Still didn't start!!! :evil:

Although it was turning over fine and all lights working OK. Then I noticed the keycode light on, damn it, had I knackered the immobilsor?

Decided to leave it for half an hour with the battery disconnected so it would reset. Would it finally jump into life?
Yes!!!
At last, today I finally got the chance to drive it properly.

Did about 60 miles in it, up to the unit on roads I know to see how it handles, I must say I'm impressed.
I'd expected it to be like the 145 as there is a lot in common. But the different rear suspension and lower center of gravity really make a difference, whereas the 145 would roll a little with rear wheel steering then dig in on corner entry the gtv stays flat and the rear doesn't step out of line at all.
Giulietta JTD 170
Lancia Delta integrale
Lancia Dedra turbo
Renault Clio 197 RS

KevJTD

Post by KevJTD »

Just to prove it has actually left my driveway, some pics of the car viewed from its best side taken at my regular scenic shot location.
Attachments
IMG_20211010_171904.jpg
IMG_20211010_171950.jpg
IMG_20211010_172052.jpg
Giulietta JTD 170
Lancia Delta integrale
Lancia Dedra turbo
Renault Clio 197 RS

junior

Post by junior »

Good effort. Nice to get the right side of the frustration.

Kegsti66

Post by Kegsti66 »

Nice one Kev, I told you they drive nice.
Sure footed I thought and still a supple ride.