Metric wheels with TRX tyres.

Pete Jennings

Metric wheels with TRX tyres.

Post by Pete Jennings »

Dear all, I have just had my sprint cloverleaf metric wheels refurbed and am refitting the tyres, and it crossed my mind.... is anyone actually still running on these wheels?!?!? I have a set of the 14" speedlines that she runs on now but have the original set for show use, obviously the tyres are decades old so won't be driving on them.
I gather the TRX is still available but poisonous price. Anyone still run day to day on them ?!?!?
Cheers
Peter
Last edited by Pete Jennings on Wed Dec 04, 2019 12:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

alfasuddriver

Re: Metric wheels with TRX tyres.

Post by alfasuddriver »

I was told that the Suds and Sprints handle better with the TRX tyres but I’ve never actually tried them out. Also, I have a pair of new TRX tyres if they are of any use? I have 14” speed lines on my Sud at the moment...

LooLooSud33Spider

Post by LooLooSud33Spider »

Having driven many suds on both the metric TRX tyres and more regular 185/60/14 tyres. I have to say I always found the TRX shod vehicle’s more twitchy and generally gave a less pleasant ride. I actually hated them and I thought they spoiled the superb balance of the suds chassis.
Over the yrs We also had several customers who specifically asked us to source wheels and change their cars over to 14”. The other benefit is that quality 185/60/14 tyres are still readily available.
Alfasud Ti 1984
Alfa Spider 2.0 Ts 916
Alfa Spider 20v Turbo

Pete Jennings

Post by Pete Jennings »

alfasuddriver wrote:I was told that the Suds and Sprints handle better with the TRX tyres but I’ve never actually tried them out. Also, I have a pair of new TRX tyres if they are of any use? I have 14” speed lines on my Sud at the moment...
Yes I could be interested in the tyres. :-) depending what you want for them, I have four good tyres on four referbed wheels....and they are only for show use....bit a couple of spare tyres could be useful.. I think the 14 " ones fill the arches much better.
My car had TRX on it when I bought it in 1992.... but I swapped I guess around 1995 for the 14" ones as tyres gave more choice and much much cheaper...
Can't say I noticed much in handling dept.... but was always more careful on the TRX because they were so expensive.... and at 18 I was certainly on a budget!
Peter

Pete Jennings

Post by Pete Jennings »

LooLooSud33Spider wrote:Having driven many suds on both the metric TRX tyres and more regular 185/60/14 tyres. I have to say I always found the TRX shod vehicle’s more twitchy and generally gave a less pleasant ride. I actually hated them and I thought they spoiled the superb balance of the suds chassis.
Over the yrs We also had several customers who specifically asked us to source wheels and change their cars over to 14”. The other benefit is that quality 185/60/14 tyres are still readily available.
Yes I changed after a year or so to the 14" speedlines, I would never go back but wanted another set of metric as these were fitted at the factory...and I sold my original metric set to part fund the 14" replacements.. I do like the trx tread pattern.... I may pop them on for brooklands... but day to day it will remain on 14"
£200 buys 4 Pirelli tyres..... vs 300 for 1 trx.... No brainer really...
Last edited by Pete Jennings on Wed Dec 04, 2019 12:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sud 145

Post by Sud 145 »

How old are these tyres, I'm all for originality but not sure I'd want to drive them on the road. How would they fair if for some reason you were stopped by the police? Wouldn't a fail on 4 tyres = a ban? Just saying.

Pete Jennings

Post by Pete Jennings »

Sud 145 wrote:How old are these tyres, I'm all for originality but not sure I'd want to drive them on the road. How would they fair if for some reason you were stopped by the police? Wouldn't a fail on 4 tyres = a ban? Just saying.
I possibly didn't make my self clear when I said for show use...... to be put on at a show....
As I said if you read my comments the 14" are and will remain the cars running wheels.
As far as I'm aware however currently there is no age limit on tyres.... and as they are still soft enough to be removed and refitted without breaking up and and if you have personally ever tried to fit a trx tyre yourself....As I have...... you will know they are very tight fit and need some stick to get them fitted...
I don't see why the police would have a problem... they are a old stock new set... so tread is like new and not perished.

But I TOTALLY AGREE , they are way too old to be trusted at speed, you would be mad to spend 4 or 5k restoring and repainting a classic and trust these tyres..... As I said previously it's more an excercise in having them for photos as car had them fitted 27 years ago when I bought it.
My original post was not asking about my tyres, I was mearly curious if anyone these days was buying them at £300 each new for their cars..... they are still available through longstone classic tyres from Michelin.. brand new.... but at 1200 quid a set...
So far it seems not lol.
Regards
Peter

Sud 145

Post by Sud 145 »

OK get where you're coming from now.

KevJTD

Post by KevJTD »

You can check the date on any tyre quite easily, if it's not clear on their condition.
All tyres have a date code on the sidewall.
If made in the 80's or 90's they have a 3 digit code, for example 237. That means the tyre was made on the 23 week of 1987. If it has a little triangle after the 7 that denotes it was made in the 90's so week 23 of 1997.
Once we got into the 2000's they changed to a 4 digit number such as 2302 which would be week 23 of 2002.

There is currently no stipulation on date for road use. as much as has been talked about for ages. MoT wise or Police. I can see the time coming where the MoT test requires a check for age but in reality the condition checks already in place should be enough..
Giulietta JTD 170
Lancia Delta integrale
Lancia Flavia coupe 1.8 1963
Lancia Dedra turbo
Renault Clio 197 RS

I'm bad with people things
But I should have tried more

Pete Jennings

Post by Pete Jennings »

KevJTD wrote:You can check the date on any tyre quite easily, if it's not clear on their condition.
If made in the 80's or 90's they have a 3 digit code, for example 237. That means the tyre was made on the 23 week of 1987. If it has a little triangle after the 7 that denotes it was made in the 90's so week 23 of 1997.
Once we got into the 2000's they changed to a 4 digit number such as 2302 which would be week 23 of 2002.

There is currently no stipulation on date for road use. as much as has been talked about for ages. MoT wise or Police. I can see the time coming where the MoT test requires a check for age but in reality the condition checks already in place should be enough..
KevJTD wrote:You can check the date on any tyre quite easily, if it's not clear on their condition.

Now that is an interesting bit of info....... one of the wheels with tyre came from a friend of mine who had a sprint Green cloverleaf around 1994..... it was his spare... so it lived in his boot unused.... and he ended up with it again as spare in one of his Hf turbos..... I looked at the date..... 8th week 83.... which means when he bought it.....( he bought a set..... ) in 1994. So it was already 10 years old at time of purchase if my interpretation of the markings is correct.
As I say..... I'm not going to be driving on them... and as they have been removed and refitted without cracking up . Its not really possible to remove these gently..... they are very tight on the rims so as they survived the process, I would say they have aged well....
This post was supposed to be about the metric tyres and was anyone still using them ...... it would seem the answer is no...... at £300 each I'm not surprised....
The 185/60/14 wheels and tyres look loads better.... and £50 per tyre is much more acceptable.... as she now sits on four brand new pirelli's.
Cheers

KevJTD

Post by KevJTD »

Yes, basically as in this picture the number 139 refers to the 13th week of 1999 being when the tyre was made. We know it to be the 90's with the little triangle after it, without that it'd be 13th week of 1989.
With the 4 digits on 200 onwards tyres it's easier, you know what decade it is. Cant see a 2001 tyre still being around in 3001 to confuse anybody :lol:
Attachments
90s dot number.jpg
Giulietta JTD 170
Lancia Delta integrale
Lancia Dedra turbo
Renault Clio 197 RS

alfadave

Post by alfadave »

In view of the cost of tyres,
My best advice to anyone with metric wheels, would be to weigh them in, and donate the proceeds to the Forum!

KevJTD

Post by KevJTD »

alfadave wrote:In view of the cost of tyres,
My best advice to anyone with metric wheels, would be to weigh them in, and donate the proceeds to the Forum!
:lol:
Giulietta JTD 170
Lancia Delta integrale
Lancia Dedra turbo
Renault Clio 197 RS

Pete Jennings

Post by Pete Jennings »

Seems the only person with a set may well be me!!!

LooLooSud33Spider

Post by LooLooSud33Spider »

I have three but I lent them to KevStaffs a while back to keep his car rolling. Two had very good tread but they were old tyres Don’t know if he still needs them as he’s stopped talking to me.
Alfasud Ti 1984
Alfa Spider 2.0 Ts 916
Alfa Spider 20v Turbo

Mufasa

Post by Mufasa »

Interesting thread re tyre age.
Here in the Republic of Ireland, our MOT equivalent (NCT) gives an
advisory for tyres over 6 years old regardless of condition.
05Alfa1662.0GrigioGeo-Daily
03Alfa1561.8Sportwagon-BluCosmo
01Alfa1663.0Manual-Proteo Rosso
99Alfa1662.5V6GrigioNettuno-Track Car
84Alfasud1.5GoldCloverleafFlorentineCopper

KevJTD

Post by KevJTD »

Mufasa wrote:Interesting thread re tyre age.
Kind of surprised there isn't anything like that here for the MoT, was talk of it some years back. nothing came of it. Wouldn't be hard to implement.
Giulietta JTD 170
Lancia Delta integrale
Lancia Dedra turbo
Renault Clio 197 RS

Mufasa

Post by Mufasa »

Our testing centres are standalone too-they only test, no fixing like I understand with you guys?

KevJTD

Post by KevJTD »

You're right, test centres here can perform repairs as it's mostly regular garages that perform the test. There are some places that only do the MoT but not so common. I'd prefer a system that is more "in house" as there are still far too many dodgy places that will do the test without worrying too much about doing the test!
Giulietta JTD 170
Lancia Delta integrale
Lancia Dedra turbo
Renault Clio 197 RS

junior

Post by junior »

Mufasa wrote:Interesting thread re tyre age.
That is interesting as I recall going to Kenmare Bay back in the 80's on vintage bikes and people would turn up on early Indians and such like with the most bald,

canvas showing tyres i have seen anywhere on my travels. When you considered how rough some of the mountain roads were and the speed of the bikes

it was amazing nothing happened. And it was a five day rally with good mileages. :roll:

Mufasa

Post by Mufasa »

I can't remember when the NCT started but it is a good thing no doubt.
I was a taxi driver from 92 to 02 and back when I started some of the cars that were taxis were shocking!