Sud 2 door shells

Veesix75

Sud 2 door shells

Post by Veesix75 »

I have a couple of Sud shells in storage, and time has come to move at least one of them on, possibly both, but if I can find alternative space I will keep one.

Both are ex race cars, have all their panels but no running gear or interiors.

First one is a series 2 ti, 1979 with log book. I raced this for a few years but it now wants a lot of work. It is very saveable , Kev has restored far worse !

Floor pans are very good (never welded and don't need welding) inner sills good, inner wings good. Needs A post work, outer sills, rear arches, windscreen corners and no doubt other bits once poked around in.. Doors have a few battle scars but solid, front end slightly damaged in a bump, but a complete spare reasonable front panel and slam panel with it. Slight Nick in chassis rail from the bump, but would pull out easily or I have a complete nos rail from jacking point to crossmember pick up. Sunroof has an alloy panel riveted over. One rear quarter battle scarred.

It's better than I make it sound, and if I kept it, would have considered replacing every outer panel with fibreglass and using it as a track car, either pure s1 or trofeo style. It's not a basis for a concourse restoration !

No idea of price, just get in touch for a chat if interested, I'm Not expecting to retire on the sale, so don't be put off on the lack of price, I'm pragmatic about the effort needed to repair it.

Second one (and the one I want to try and keep hold of) is a s3 2 door SC, with log book 1982. Ex racer again, no sunroof, lots of work already done with just some simple welding left to do. Has had arches, sills, inner wings repaired and all done to a good standard. Most of the car is in primer and in good shape. Front wings acceptable at a push but I have a pair of new fibre glass wings to go on it. Doors and bonnet good, hatch good. This one was going to be my racer, but I bought my Sprint before finishing it, and I'm keeping the Sprint long term now.

All the hard work done, simpler stuff left to do. Same as above get in touch if interested, but health warning on this one that I may end up keeping it so don't be offended if I decide to do that after chatting.

As above, no running gear with either of them as its all set up for track use, and I'm keeping it all as spares for my Sprint racer. No cages either even tho ex racers.

Ive got some spare panels that could be included with the s2 shell such as new rear arches, a rear valance and a new half quarter panel .

Veesix75

Re: Sud 2 door shells, series 2 boot shell £500

Post by Veesix75 »

After thinking about a price, which I should have done before, I'd like £500 for the series 2 shell.

For that price it comes as in the pic, and with 2 doors, front wings, bonnet, boot and a second hand front section (slam panel, valance etc.), doors have glass.

Just a couple of pics below, if anyone wants to see more then send me your email address and I have more, plus close ups of the areas needing work.

A pic of the stripped shell, and one just before I stripped it, and through the rear showing how strong the floor pans etc are.

To be clear, there are no mechanical items at all, no front or rear lights, no dash and no rollcage.

Tim
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
Attachments
image.jpeg

garygecko

Re: Sud 2 door shells

Post by garygecko »

I got a soft spot for this car. But I must stay strong.

Veesix75

Post by Veesix75 »

Ha ha.....me too Gary, I've been hanging on to it for as long as possible.

It must have been a racer for well over 20 years now, I bought it off you in early 2000. It needs to be rescued and put back on the track.

Alfamet

Post by Alfamet »

PM sent.

Veesix75

Post by Veesix75 »

The series 2 shell has now been sold, pleased to say to a forum member so I'm sure we will see it again in the future.

Kegsti66

Post by Kegsti66 »

8-)

Ted27sud

Post by Ted27sud »

Was the series 2 car once owned and raced by Frank Manning in the late 80's and early 90's?
Cheers, Ted

Veesix75

Post by Veesix75 »

Hi Ted, yes it was Frank Mannings car, I didn't know Frank but I was told second hand it was his originally.

When I bought it from Gary Lucas (gray gecko on here), it was white with yellow trim. I changed it to white with green. I think Gary may have bought it from Frank and used it for a season, I bought it from Gary to start racing as a novice in early 2000.

It was a very basic class F spec, pretty standard 1500cc, in boards and red konis. I wasn't very quick in it, but as most suds had started to disappear by then I managed a few 'Sud cup' wins and still have the trophies on display at home.

I do remember someone approaching me at snetterton way back in about 2002 and suggesting it was their old car, so that must have been Frank. If he raced it in the late 80's then it must have been a racer for 30 years now.

Perhaps by coincidence, I was at Silverstone at the weekend racing the sprint (not a good day overall, I can't get to grips with it in the wet), and a chap approached my dad and asked if we previously raced a white Sud, and if so suggested he might have once owned it, so that could have been Frank again ?

The good news is that the new owner, Dave, plans to get it back up and running as a fast road and track day car, and is also planning on retaining some of its current racing 'patina', but if patina is good enough for a lemans c-type, then it's also good enough for Sud racer with 30 years of on/off racing under its belt. :D

garygecko

Post by garygecko »

Yeah, I got the sud from Frank. I think I gave him 1800 quid for it and I remember he looked liked he had made off like a bandit when the deal was done.I wanted to get back into racing and have a bit of fun? but I only did one Autoitalia race and quickly realised I wanted to get back into something faster and purchased a modified class B sud. I sold it to Tim for 750 quid (I think) this may or not have included a trailer. I can't remember. But I do remember Tim looking particularly pleased and I was happy to see it go to a good home even with my 1200 quid loss!
Last edited by garygecko on Wed May 25, 2016 1:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

Veesix75

Post by Veesix75 »

I'd have been very happy to have had the trailer at that price Gary, but you decided to keep it in the end. I hired a cast iron, home made 25 foot monstrosity (because it was cheap and I was frugal ) to take the Sud home on......your street was a dead end and we nearly got stuck turning round at the bottom..... :lol: I don't think we got above 50mph due to the trailer weight.

The roof was green with moss, it had a missing wheel arch, a full size standard steering wheel and a de-rigour 1990's side exit exhaust.......I loved it. :D

Talking about trophies, I remember coming all the way down to Lydden hill......only 2 suds in the entire class f grid.......the other was a sprint and he rolled over on the last corner down the hill. Which meant I got a trophy for being the first, and the last Sud to finish :D

alfadave

Post by alfadave »

I have to admit having bought it.
I've had suds as daily drivers for 20 years.......and since selling a sprint a couple of years ago,have been suffering withdrawal symptoms without one.
So Tims ex racer is going to become a daily hack.
I started making a list of stuff I need for it.......
But put simply it's everything except the shell!
Dave

garygecko

Post by garygecko »

Veesix75 wrote:I'd have been very happy to have had the trailer at that price Gary, but you decided to keep it in the end. I hired a cast iron, home made 25 foot monstrosity (because it was cheap and I was frugal ) to take the Sud home on......your street was a dead end and we nearly got stuck turning round at the bottom..... :lol: I don't think we got above 50mph due to the trailer weight.

The roof was green with moss, it had a missing wheel arch, a full size standard steering wheel and a de-rigour 1990's side exit exhaust.......I loved it. :D

Talking about trophies, I remember coming all the way down to Lydden hill......only 2 suds in the entire class f grid.......the other was a sprint and he rolled over on the last corner down the hill. Which meant I got a trophy for being the first, and the last Sud to finish :D
So I kept the trailer. It wasn't as bad a deal as I thought then:)

garygecko

Post by garygecko »

alfadave wrote:I have to admit having bought it.
I've had suds as daily drivers for 20 years.......and since selling a sprint a couple of years ago,have been suffering withdrawal symptoms without one.
So Tims ex racer is going to become a daily hack.
I started making a list of stuff I need for it.......
But put simply it's everything except the shell!
Dave
Wow! You are putting it back on the road? I hope you are going to start a thread.

alfadave

Post by alfadave »

The 1979 S2 ti has been stuck at my local welder/painter for 18 months.
The poor guy got ill, told me he'd finish it for me, but eventually had to give up.

Welding all done, panel gaps sorted,primed and partly painted in Diamond White.

I've had it shifted last week to another painter, who will finish it.

Photos to follow .

Dave

Veesix75

Post by Veesix75 »

That's great news Dave, it was a brave restoration but credit to you for saving it and giving it life for another 20 years hopefully.

Diamond white will suit it well.

Kegsti66

Post by Kegsti66 »

Top man .
Keep the thread going please. :D

alfadave

Post by alfadave »

Got a set of 13" Campanatura "spoked" wheels with it.

I was thinking of having them powder coated matt black.....to contrast the diamond white.

Any thoughts?

Dave

Veesix75

Post by Veesix75 »

I'd go for gloss black - but either way I like black or graphite wheels on a white car, and a dark colour would suit that wheel style also, so it gets my vote.

Veesix75

Post by Veesix75 »

Some pics from Dave, it’s come a long way !
Attachments
F94F646F-97E8-4548-BF44-CFE321F98138.jpeg
DA72FEB4-5E3E-4EE2-9ADE-BE97CB28E9C3.jpeg
5CE33392-F47C-49BA-B34F-EFB3CE96A7B6.jpeg

alfadave

Post by alfadave »

Just fitting it up now with plastic stuff.

The S2 radiator grille seems to have a big gap to the closed bonnet....approx 25mm
But a tight fit with the bonnet open.

Otherwise been fitting wheel arch/cill trim.
Rear spoiler etc.
Rear side windows.

Will get it up on stands soon to finish off underneath...fuel line,brake bleeding,etc
Then, wheels off to the blasters/powder coaters, before new Yoko 539 tyres

Dave

Alfastrut

Post by Alfastrut »

Looking good dave

junior

Post by junior »

Good effort. Keep going!

alfadave

Post by alfadave »

The original loom was in bits, so Justsuds recently got in a T reg S2 ti.......I've stripped the loom out of it, so now have a complete one.
Loose fitted it at the weekend, and am now undergoing the trauma of connecting stuff up, and trying to get a result.

Getting the engine fired up was actually the easy bit.
Compressions 3x 200, and 1x 170 , a bit low on no2 hopefully the valves will settle in with use.
Its running like a pig,and won't tick over, needs the carbs setting up properly.

I got the indicators to light up, but not flash......so I changed the flasher unit.....now they don't work ,but the low fuel light flashes!

Wipers, heater fan working.
Sidelights on, but headlights won't play ball.

I've changed all the relays to modern ones, and fitted a new fusebox, and repeaters all from Vehicle Wiring Products at little cost.
Ordered a pair of Rover 25 horns as the old one was goosed.
The number plate light is a crappy affair....and where it sits on the bumper is asking for water leaks......why they didn't fit a mini type above the number plate, I don't know? I might fit one....I'm more into reliability than originality...I'll be using the car all year round.

I only realised yesterday, the column switches I've got are early ones with no washer push switch.....see my wanted ad.
When I get the later one, I'll call in the auto elec to snag it all.

Colour scheme is white with black :- Campanatura wheels, S3 door handles, wheel arch trim, exhaust tail pipe, Alfasud script,grille etc

I've left some of the racing patina (whatever that means!)
Rivetted sunroof tin top, aluminium door cards/ parcel shelf from an old caravan roof!

Would post some pics, but no idea how to upload them...help needed there.

Sud 145

Post by Sud 145 »

Look down the bottom in Site News and Info. Shrew posted a how to upload pics.

junior

Post by junior »

[
I've left some of the racing patina (whatever that means!)
Rivetted sunroof tin top, aluminium door cards/ parcel shelf from an old caravan roof!

Good decision, my kind of car, patina cannot be be recreated overnight. Keep posting. :D

alfadave

Post by alfadave »

On Site News and Info, I can see a thread titled "can't up load pics"
But no info in there?

Kegsti66

Post by Kegsti66 »

Coming together Dave, good progress.

With view to putting up photos, when you post a reply, below the box you write in you should see an "Upload attachment" box. Click on that and it will ask you to choose file. You can then go to your gallery to select the photo . Click on " Add the file" and when it has added it , you can submit your message. File size is the only possible problem, but my old phone only has small file images so it is good to go.
Hope that helps, as we all like seeing photos. :D

alfadave

Post by alfadave »

Thanks for that Keith
But as my phone is a Nokia 3100
And my cameras are Olympus 35RC, and Pentax 110 SLR its not so easy!
I'll have to wait until I've run the film through, and got it developed and printed.

My Mrs has an i phone....I'll have to get her on the case.

KevJTD

Post by KevJTD »

alfadave wrote:On Site News and Info, I can see a thread titled "can't up load pics"
But no info in there?
It's in the hints and tips section Dave, should be able to click on this link if I've done it right.... :roll:

viewtopic.php?f=40&t=1477
Giulietta JTD 170
Lancia Delta integrale
Lancia Flavia coupe 1.8 1963
Lancia Dedra turbo
Renault Clio 197 RS

I'm bad with people things
But I should have tried more