Giulietta 1.4 turbo starting issue

Veesix75

Giulietta 1.4 turbo starting issue

Post by Veesix75 »

Hello, anyone here…… :D

Strange one this morning, Giulietta wouldn’t start and a bit unusual symptoms. Initially assumed battery had dropped voltage and on its way out on the first cold morning this year but not so sure…

1. Initially when putting key in and turning ignition on, all dash lights as normal etc, but turn key to start and nothing, no starter turning.
2. Took key out, locked doors, left for 20 seconds, open back up to see if immobiliser
3. Tried to start it again, this time starter turned but kept cutting in and out, engine didn’t fire.
4. Tried again , turned over slow and starter cut out. Engine didn’t fire
5. Tried again , turned over normal speed but didn’t fire
6. Ignoring Einstein’s law, tried again and it fired and ran normally.

No warning lights or error messages displayed at all.

Google also came up with a potential issue with a broken earth strap engine to gearbox.

I’m going to try a battery charger and see if it makes any difference.

Any other ideas ? Thanks

LooLooSud33Spider

Re: Giulietta 1.4 turbo starting issue

Post by LooLooSud33Spider »

Tim. Id start by disconnecting the batttery and give it a good charge then drop test it. Then check all earth points and straps. Finally if it’s still starting and running fine just put it down to “it’s Italian so it’s meant to do that and it’s normal .

Lou
Alfasud Ti 1984
Alfa Spider 2.0 Ts 916
Alfa Spider 20v Turbo

Veesix75

Post by Veesix75 »

Thanks Lou, I did think battery initially but the random sequence above was confusing.

LooLooSud33Spider

Iffy Battery voltage can cause all manner of weird poo to happen that never makes sense . For instance. When I got my spider home the battery was very weak. And when I locked it with the key it only locked one door and the aerial went up
Alfasud Ti 1984
Alfa Spider 2.0 Ts 916
Alfa Spider 20v Turbo

Veesix75

Post by Veesix75 »

:lol: :lol: :lol:

alfadave

Post by alfadave »

Cold weather, and tired battery.
Try putting your foot on the clutch when starting it. Reduces the load, as the gearbox layshaft isn't turning.

Sud 145

Post by Sud 145 »

alfadave wrote:
Sun Nov 21, 2021 5:12 pm
Cold weather, and tired battery.
Try putting your foot on the clutch when starting it. Reduces the load, as the gearbox layshaft isn't turning.
Been doing that for the last fifty years. Lol............As said above check earth strap and g/box connection - I've an extra one on my Mito.

Veesix75

Post by Veesix75 »

Pretty sure it’s the battery after trying it this morning. Slow turn over.

Assume if it’s the earth then it wouldnt turn at all, or would turn but not start ?

Dumb question - any issue jump starting with the start stop system, or do I go straight on the battery terminals as normal ?

Hate to say it but my beemer has under bonnet ‘posts’ for charging and jump starting, makes life simple and obvious when needed.

Thanks all
Last edited by Veesix75 on Mon Nov 22, 2021 12:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

LooLooSud33Spider

Morning Tim
I’ve never had any dealing with Stop/ Start systems
I’d read the manual carefully about Jump starting. If It was me I’d give it a go but I’d use a surge protector across the terminals to avoid a spike. During the winter I regularly have to jump the Porsche and camper and always use a SP and never had a problem.
Alfasud Ti 1984
Alfa Spider 2.0 Ts 916
Alfa Spider 20v Turbo

Veesix75

Post by Veesix75 »

Agree, the manual isn’t overly clear. Fingers crossed, and tbh the battery has been on as long as we’ve had the car, it’s not original but is at least 6 years old so I’m tempted to replace it anyhow. It does short journeys so probably finished it off based on that and the first frost .

KevJTD

Post by KevJTD »

Has the stop/start system been non functioing lately? That's the first sign of a failing battery nowadays.
Shouldn't have any real issue jump starting as normal, they're still just a battery, more like a Leisure battery in design rather than the old wet lead acid ones but still just a battery.
Earth straps are often multi strand types now, which corrode internally and fail.
Top test if that's an issue connect a jump lead direct from the Negative terminal to a decent point on the engine/gearbox, near the starter is a good point. If it behaves normally then and spins over a treat it's a bad earth. If it makes no odds then the OE wiring is OK.
5 to 8 years is about the time a battery lasts now so if original it could just be as simple as that, frosty mornings with cold engine oil usually starts to weed out weak batteries.
Giulietta JTD 170
Lancia Delta integrale
Lancia Flavia coupe 1.8 1963
Lancia Dedra turbo
Renault Clio 197 RS

I'm bad with people things
But I should have tried more

Veesix75

Post by Veesix75 »

I have the stop start permenantly switched off. Short / town journeys and that many restarts can’t be healthy for an engine. I switched it off the day we bought it :D

Good shout on the earth test, I forgot to try that . It’s a 13 plate but the battery doesn’t have any Alfa or manufacturers marks, I think it’s a replacement. Thanks

LooLooSud33Spider

I’m also very sceptical about the effect of so many start /Stops with these systems. I suppose it’s great way to get sales of starters and ring gears up
Alfasud Ti 1984
Alfa Spider 2.0 Ts 916
Alfa Spider 20v Turbo

Veesix75

Post by Veesix75 »

Definitely battery, should have known really but the wired attempts to start it were confusing.

Tried the extra earth just in case, still slow to turn over

Put my little Halfords smart charger on this morning, within 5 hours it said it was charged so took it off and started fine.

Can’t enable the stop/start system so the car must know the battery is on its way out. I’ll see if it lasts before shelling out for a new one, but suspect by the weekend I’ll be ordering a new battery.

Thanks all.

Sud 145

Post by Sud 145 »

If you're an aroc member don't forget the 10% discount voucher.