The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly!

PETROLHEAD

The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly!

Post by PETROLHEAD »

Ok, theres not a lot on here about my 164QV but i'll try to address that when there's anything more significant to report, but, in haste, i bought it off John, the current owner/seller of the last of his Alfa's, his rare Q4.

A 1994 M reg Vintage, with the full fat 3.0 V6 24 valve, this Cloverleaf is wicked, proper Flying Luxury, with a torque steer that can only be a big engine italian FWD car! :D

Now its not been on the road for some months, and she has been sitting on a temporary set of little 147 alloys whilst i sourced and refurbished my choice of wheels for her. Well i couldn't just have the OE Speedlines now could i? :roll:

So whilst in the wrong order, this is the period of Ugly!

DSC_4098.JPG

So, the new 18" x 8j and 9j wheel rims re-finished in a rich gold powder coat, new stainless studs, and polished dish, new tyres, i love them! Sitting a lot better with a small change to the springs, and she's off for a fresh MOT.

DSC_4102.JPG

The biggest dissappointment i had thtoughout the MOT was the fact that the car arrived filthy, my wheels don't look new at all! Bugger! :|

A 100% clean bill of health, nothing but a spot of headlamp alignment to twiddle, probably down to the cars new ride height, so great news, mot'd, taxed, and back on the road with shiny new shoes to show off, Definitely, the GOOD period! :P

Wanting to put my usual stamp on the car, and having done wheels to date, exhaust had to be next, so on the ramp it went, and of course with the MOT emission test so encouraging (it really did pass as if it were never there!) that Cat had to find its flap, and get the hell off my car!

Stainless exhaust warbling and rasping on the ramps, she sounds gorgeous!

So whats the Bad bit? Well, actually, its more like bloody awful i'm very sad to report :|

Off the ramp, out the yard, turn left at the T junction, "clunk!"

"what the hell was that?" i ask myself, as i creep out of the industrial estate, exhaust and throttle in defcon1 silent mode, nothing, but the car steering feels a little left biased,

Mini roundabout negotiated, out the village, still only creeping though, and up to anther T junction, which encouraged another "Clunk!", followed by some clicking, tapping, and so immediately into the pub car park 20yds away, and gently pull up to investigate.

Crawling underneath as far as i could whilst only sat on a single scissor jack, revealed nothing more that some transmission oil, everything actually looked in place, but the car is not driven any further
and has to suffer the indignance of a recovery lorry, thankfully supplied at great speed from the father in laws Nottingham Breakdown and Recovery Ltd.

So this morning amongst a barrage of Alfa ownership abuse and jibes, she went up on the ramp. I was hoping to find a dislocated or even broken driveshaft, allowing the oil to find it way out the diff, but, sadly, its a lot more serious, and something has actually punched a crack/hole in the top of the gearbox casing! :cry:

Speaking with Tom pretty much confirmed that what i'd experienced, is the known achilles heel of the 164QV drivetrain, and that means that very likely its the diff that has failed rather catastrophically, and the planetary gears, crown pinion etc have let go, and something has shipped on out!

So, no sooner have i just got it something like how i want her, she's off the road again and costing me money i just don't have spare for this kind of event currently! :x

I never even got to enjoy the exhaust under even minor load, not once,

What a shambles, i'm proper sulking this week.....

:oops: :oops: :oops:
SHREW

I AM the Law!

Alfasud 1.7-16v, Charade Turbo SR, & The Dirty Diesels - GT Cloverleaf, 159 Ti Sportwagon, Saab 9-3 Sportwagon

PETROLHEAD

Re: The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly!

Post by PETROLHEAD »

A further, and thankfully more positive note, is that i have located a replacement gearbox.

Rodger, Sprint68, has a spare pukka QV box'a cogs, so i have hastily arranged to buy that and have it palleted down to me at first opportunity, Thank you Rodger, top man! :D

I did contemplate doing a 6 speed gearbox upgrade, aswell as a Q2 diff, but funds just simply won't stretch that far, unless anyone knows of a 3.0 V6 6 speed box, from a 166, GTV or GTA type car going begging or close too? (the 156 2.5 V6 gearbox has a notably shorter final drive, and i can live without the 164 getting any greedier for the sake of boasting another gear!)

Or anyone know of a reasonaby priced LSD that i could slip into the replacement QV 5 speed box from Rodger?

I'm pretty sure its the lack of a decent LSD that has damaged my box over the years to the point of failing. The torque i feel under the steering has simply pulled it apart i fear! :(

Never mind, dig in and push on eh...
SHREW

I AM the Law!

Alfasud 1.7-16v, Charade Turbo SR, & The Dirty Diesels - GT Cloverleaf, 159 Ti Sportwagon, Saab 9-3 Sportwagon

KevJTD

Post by KevJTD »

bloody hell mate, was just going to comment on how great those wheels look and suit the stance....then read the gearbox woes :cry:

unbelieveable.

not sure if john has any spres?

that shell that rodger took had a 'box still in it, was a 3.0 24V too....might be worth a call?

as a small consolation though, it looks fab. great choice of rims mate, shouldn't have expected less should we ;)
Giulietta JTD 170
Lancia Delta integrale
Lancia Flavia coupe 1.8 1963
Lancia Dedra turbo
Renault Clio 197 RS

I'm bad with people things
But I should have tried more

PETROLHEAD

Post by PETROLHEAD »

ha ha! you must have read and typed quicker than i did!

Yes, the route to salvation was via John, leading to Rodger, and it came up trumps ta mate.

Thanks for the comments on the wheels, they do look rather nifty eh! :D
SHREW

I AM the Law!

KevJTD

Post by KevJTD »

beat me to it with the replay mate, rodger saves the day!

know from the past that the 156 V6 diffs exploding were often when pootling around minding their own business, not neccesraily on the trafic light raceway according to those in the know. seems the same issues (same 'box?) were there with the 164??
Giulietta JTD 170
Lancia Delta integrale
Lancia Flavia coupe 1.8 1963
Lancia Dedra turbo
Renault Clio 197 RS

I'm bad with people things
But I should have tried more

PETROLHEAD

Post by PETROLHEAD »

Yeah, it seems the same weakness has transposed the models, and they are certainly a fit to fit casing, so i imagine other than the gearing they are the same box.

The 6 speed thing was very interesting to read up on, and other than converting to cable selectors rather than the 164's rods, is all "apparently" very simple and do-able.

If you get a 6 speed box from a GTV,166 etc, simply get the gearshift mechanism complete, and bolt it in, sweet!

Tom suspected a speedo drive compatability issue, but i think it varied on which box you chose, not all would be a problem i read, but nothing that couldn't be retro fitted to work anyway.
SHREW

I AM the Law!

alfachris

Post by alfachris »

Gutted so it was the diff

PETROLHEAD

Post by PETROLHEAD »

i won't know for sure until the box comes out, but if its repairable at all i'll overhaul it and keep it as a spare, maybe wait for an lsd to show up before swapping it back later date,

right now i just want it back on the road, i'm jiggered at the mo for transport!
SHREW

I AM the Law!

Veesix75

Post by Veesix75 »

Bad news Shrew, but take consolation that it looks great with new wheels......and it won't be long before its growling down the road again.

Being a saddo I used to drive my 75 v6 with the rear window open so I could listen to it.