Lowering / Stiffening Suspension

PETROLHEAD

Lowering / Stiffening Suspension

Post by PETROLHEAD »

Hi all

having now lived with the QV for a short while, its time to start putting my stamp on it, and make some of the changes that will ensure it a place in my heart and on my drive for an awful long time to come!

So, plans are in motion for wheel changes, and to coincide with that i would like the car lower.

If possible, although my research so far has drawn a blank, i would like to have had the adjustability of coilovers at a reasonable price, but i don't think that's gonna be happening, as the 164 is so poorly supplied for, the options just aren't out there.

BUT, does anyone know if the manufacturers that used the 164 floorplan, i.e. saab and fiat offer any option instead, and specifically what were the other cars, saab 9-3, and fiat croma was it?

are the suspension units a direct exchangeable fit from these other cars?

Also, my anti roll bar D bushes appear quite tired, but powerflex don't offer a replacement in their catologue, but chances are they will be the same D bush as something else, any clues, anyone fitted an improved D bush set to their 164?

thanks in advance
SHREW

I AM the Law!

Alfasud 1.7-16v, Charade Turbo SR, & The Dirty Diesels - GT Cloverleaf, 159 Ti Sportwagon, Saab 9-3 Sportwagon

AlfaCorseChris

Re: Lowering / Stiffening Suspension

Post by AlfaCorseChris »

Nice too see you looking for options mate.

the 164 would look amazing lowered with fat tyres 8-)

H&R do springs to lower it by 35mm.
This page also has some powerflex bushes
http://shop.alfisti.net/Tuning-Styling/ ... _7_58.html

Other Suspension parts including Koni and Sachs shocks and inserts can be found here:
http://www.alfissimo.com/shop/index.php?categoryID=164

and here:

http://www.horsepowerfreaks.com/perform ... ion/Shocks

So in other words, the parts are out there, it's just that you need to think like a Cypriot this time...
..."so its that much , plus shipping, plus custom charges and VAT if its a non EU country...."

I've been looking as well, got something in mind for the past month ;)

PETROLHEAD

Post by PETROLHEAD »

If you check the link Chris, you'll see that like everyone else, they don't list a D bush for the front anti roll bar,

they just list the end link bushes.

I need someone who says they have discovered that VW Passat are the same or something?
SHREW

I AM the Law!

Alfasud 1.7-16v, Charade Turbo SR, & The Dirty Diesels - GT Cloverleaf, 159 Ti Sportwagon, Saab 9-3 Sportwagon

AlfaCorseChris

Post by AlfaCorseChris »

Oh, sorry mate

PETROLHEAD

Post by PETROLHEAD »

you will be! :lol:
SHREW

I AM the Law!

Simonsud

Post by Simonsud »

Same floor pan as saab 9000 93 is cavalier floor pan I know late saab vauxhall and Alfa shared floor pans all use different suspension and brakes and have worked on saab 9000 and fiat croma and there are lots of differences

KevJTD

Post by KevJTD »

i'd think that universal ones would do the job mate, the brackets are of a standardish size. just mic up the ARB thickness and sure they'd be made to fit ;)

http://www.powerflex.co.uk/road-series/ ... 789/1.html
Giulietta JTD 170
Lancia Delta integrale
Lancia Flavia coupe 1.8 1963
Lancia Dedra turbo
Renault Clio 197 RS

I'm bad with people things
But I should have tried more

stuartieboy

Post by stuartieboy »

petrolhead wrote:If you check the link Chris, you'll see that like everyone else, they don't list a D bush for the front anti roll bar,

they just list the end link bushes.

I need someone who says they have discovered that VW Passat are the same or something?

They're the same as the Passat.

Haha, nah, I don't have a clue. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Will look very cool nice and low though!

PETROLHEAD

Post by PETROLHEAD »

I think you might be on to something?

maybe for the 2.0 versions though, i fear the daddy models have a beefier arm! :D
SHREW

I AM the Law!

PETROLHEAD

Post by PETROLHEAD »

Quick Update.

i now have a set of lowering springs, and i also have a good set of standard none QV struts.

the reason i wanted the struts from a none QV is because i have a planned modification that will pretty much bastardise the main leg, so because my current QV switchable suspension works perfectly well, i didn't want to start cutting them up, so they will come off, and be refurbished and stored in case i ever want to return to stock again.

More on the planned modification shortly :)
SHREW

I AM the Law!