164 - Pistonheads Thread

Lightfoot

164 - Pistonheads Thread

Post by Lightfoot »

Pistonheads occasionally flags up a thread on the 164, courtesy of one of their ads. Obviously, I've always thrown in my tenpence worth but decided to abstain this once, mainly due to my computer needing an overhaul to allow me once again to upload photos to such sites (I can't see other posters' pics either).

Anyway, a general 'like' for the 164 seems to have emerged with a number of dissenters to be sure! The usual criteria, I find, are the fond memories of people who still rate them as drivers' cars long after letting them go - so 164 ownership definitely leaves its mark and mostly in a good way! Part of the reason I've still got mine after 17 years comes from so often feeling somehow underwhelmed when I drive other supposedly impressive cars but also because a common memory from previous 164 owners is the typical "...one of the few cars I've ever regretted selling" comment when writing about them - think I might be scared to let mine go for these reasons!

Anyhoo:

https://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/topic.asp?t=1823861

Hope all your Alfa summers are in fine and full swing.

mj2k

Re: 164 - Pistonheads Thread

Post by mj2k »

Nice looking cars IMO, interesting there are so few 'haters' on that thread except seemingly for people who have never owned Alfas.

Interesting everyone's saying the 24v is stronger than the 12v though, think they're getting mixed up with the later 916-on 24v with the oil pump in the sump. I'd have expected the early type 24v to be worse for cambelt snaps than the 12v even because it still has the oil pump robbing the rearmost cambelt pulley of belt wrap, and an even smaller area of belt coverage than the 12v.

If I had the spare pennies I'd snap that up though, 24 valvers are pretty rare nowadays and I've always had a soft spot for 164s...