Shameless Plug (cos i can!) 164 QV for sale

PETROLHEAD

Shameless Plug (cos i can!) 164 QV for sale

Post by PETROLHEAD »

I will delete this post completely so''s not to completely take the mick, but for now, i need the exposure!

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/231909298424? ... 1555.l2649
SHREW

I AM the Law!

Alfasud 1.7-16v, Charade Turbo SR, & The Dirty Diesels - GT Cloverleaf, 159 Ti Sportwagon, Saab 9-3 Sportwagon

Lightfoot

Re: Shameless Plug (cos i can!) 164 QV for sale

Post by Lightfoot »

Shrew, Ill be interested to see how high the bidding goes on your 'Leaf now that you've put it on e-Bay.

I'm getting the feeling you've got slightly itchy feet at present but - maybe a word of caution! I was down at my local tyre fitters (having a pair of P7's fitted to the rear of my own 164) when a guy in a late-model Giulietta pulled up to comment on the rare sight of a 164.

He'd owned a couple himself (and is currently awaiting his forthcoming new RWD Giulia) and he was of the opinion that good 164 Cloverleafs are definitely on the way up in value. I know this is all speculation but the classic car market has pretty much exhausted the known established 'stock' and is hunting around for rare cars which have spent years off the radar.

For example, I bought my S2 Lancia Montecarlo in 2000 for £4K - and they were still £4-5K five years ago. Good ones are now pitched around £12-15K and they are selling (takes a while sometimes but they're starting to sell quite quickly). Back in 2000 I had the option to buy a neighbour's Fiat Dino Coupe 2400 for - wait for it - £8K. Well, look at them now!

Of course, you know this because the same story applied to the Alfa GTV6 - back in 2010 it could have been a straight toss-up between a GTV6 and a Montecarlo as the price difference was non-existent. It was simply a matter of personal preference - whether you wanted a musical V6 or a mid-engined 'junior Ferrari' for your bucks.

Another example - there's dealer currently bringing well-preserved Italian cars into the UK (all LHD, of course) and he's got a 1981 2-litre Fiat Mirafiori Sport Volumetrico which he's priced at £29,995. Ok, it's rare and it's a slight oddball (when Fiat/Lancia needed to homologate a supercharger for their Grp. B Lancia Rally 037 they just went round slapping these superchargers on everything - Beta Coupe Volumex, Argentas, Mirafioris etc) but a Mirafiori Sport was always a £5K car in the past (for a good one) and that's gone to £10K now - but £30K??!

OK, Shrew, if you need to 'move on', so to speak, then you need to move on but I just thought I'd throw all this in! The 164 QV is well respected by those who know and their time could be coming in the near future - after all, I know that Quentin Willson rates them highly.

Anyone heading for Beaulieu this coming Sunday? Spring Alfa Day?

PETROLHEAD

Post by PETROLHEAD »

Hi mate

Ebay was the last place i wanted to put it really, as i know hardened 164 fans, the serious folk that will appreciate the rarity, price, market, and the car itself properly, are not likely to hover around there looking for a good car, but i can't deny the exposure to everyone else, so maybe, just maybe i can make a convert of someone instead.

The bidding is ticking along at the mo, but it might not even make a very sensible reserve come sunday, you just can't predict who's watching it and whether they're in the right frame to buy. I don't expect it to go nuts without contact from interested parties first, as i wouldn't buy blind personally, unless its very cheap, but there no telling with ebay!

Feel free to help it along a little ! ;) ha ha!
SHREW

I AM the Law!

Alfasud 1.7-16v, Charade Turbo SR, & The Dirty Diesels - GT Cloverleaf, 159 Ti Sportwagon, Saab 9-3 Sportwagon

Lightfoot

Post by Lightfoot »

So, Shrew - all's gone quiet in the 164 lounge. I noticed the so-called winning bid on your own 'Leaf and have assumed you are no longer the owner? Presume you've read the 164 write-up in the current edition of Classic Cars?

Mind you, Classic Cars made the 164 sound seriously problematic in my view, although I have to confess their 'diagnosis' was fairly sound as I've navigated my way through most of the problem areas they highlighted - apart from the £6K engine rebuild which I've yet to face (yikes!). Still wish they'd devoted a few more column inches to the quality of the 164 drive though.

Guessing yours has gone to a fellow enthusiast? Then again, it's probably only enthusiasts (ie. those in the know) who are in the market for them at present.