Key codes and transponders

LooLooSud33Spider

Key codes and transponders

Post by LooLooSud33Spider »

Brain storming time
When I got the spider it only came with 2 keys the brownish master and a regular red.” Everyday” Key. Of course the chap only told me after I’d paid him and he did knock a few quid off so I wasn’t too bothered. I’m now looking to create another spare red key. I’ve removed a transponder (the tiny bit) from a scrap key i no longer have the barrel for and have found a supplier of blanks. Has anyone got any experience of recoding the system. From what I can remember the procedure is to disconnect the battery(for 1/2 hour). Then insert the brown key. This then allows the programming of the 2 red keys by inserting them in the barrel and turning the ign on. I believe each key has its own code and doesn’t have to be part of a matched pair. (Triple If you include the master)
Any other information on the system welcome
F3482426-DC8E-43D3-91C8-C745BB47266F.jpeg

Lou
Alfasud Ti 1984
Alfa Spider 2.0 Ts 916
Alfa Spider 20v Turbo

alfadave

Re: Key codes and transponders

Post by alfadave »

Maybe ask Nigel Snape in Bredbury, Stockport?
Ex Main dealer senior technician.

Gary Orchard

Post by Gary Orchard »

From what I remember this is the procedure
The only thing the makes the "Master" key be a master key is that it is the very first key ever used so that is the first one in the memory of the yellow code box and the engine ECU.
To "open" the memory and allow any more keys to be coded you turn the ignition on/off with the master key, then do the same ignition on/off with all the normal keys you want to program so not just the new one but all existing keys as well, then finally to "close" the memory do ignition on/off with the master key.

LooLooSud33Spider

Thanks Gary. That very usefull. Would you disconnect the battery before doing this ? I’ll get the replacement key body ordered and cut. I can then drop the spare transponder in and give it go
I’ll Let you know how I get on. I meant to say the car is a 99. MY with the hard red fully sealed key not the later ones with the rubber doofer on it
Alfasud Ti 1984
Alfa Spider 2.0 Ts 916
Alfa Spider 20v Turbo

Gary Orchard

Post by Gary Orchard »

Not sure that you need to disconnect the battery, I have never done this when coding new keys.
Your type of key is what I am familiar with, so that method should work fine
I left the Alfa dealer world in 1997 so never got involved with the later type of keys

LooLooSud33Spider

Thanks Gary. Same here Westune was a main dealer until 1985 but we Operated as independent’s until about 2002/3 but never had to do any work involving the key code system
Thanks for your help I’ll let you know how I get on
Lou
Alfasud Ti 1984
Alfa Spider 2.0 Ts 916
Alfa Spider 20v Turbo