GTV TS project

KevJTD

Re: GTV TS project

Post by KevJTD »

Did this wiring modification to the GTV this morning that I would strongly urge other owners to do if not already done.
There has been an issue with the rear heated window wiring since these cars were new where the wiring can overheat to the rear window heater with potentially serious issues, cars have had the fuse box melt and even the wiring along the car melt, sure I recall cars even catching fire before!
Why it should be an issue on these cars and mot others I'm not sure, not like the layout is any different, like the rear window isn't at the back on other cars!

Anyway, the precautionary solution is to remove the high load from the full length wiring and from the under dash fuse box.

A separate relay is fitted to the rear under the rear window which is handily next to the battery so the high load power wiring can be kept very short, and the factory wiring from the front simply becomes the trigger signal for the new relay rather than carrying any real current.
The new relay carries power direct from the battery to the heated rear window, but still only triggered by the cars switch/relay/wiring so with the relay having its own fused power source and it only being able to be activated when the igntion is on then it acts in exactly the same way but without the potential inferno!

For the sake of a £5 relay and a bit of wiring I say it's a job well done.
Attachments
IMG_20211024_115526.jpg
Giulietta JTD 170
Lancia Delta integrale
Lancia Flavia coupe 1.8 1963
Lancia Dedra turbo
Renault Clio 197 RS

I'm bad with people things
But I should have tried more

KevJTD

Re: GTV TS project

Post by KevJTD »