IMPORTANT MAINTENANCE - POSSIBLE OUTAGE & INTERUPTION

Area detailing how to help fund this free forum
PETROLHEAD

IMPORTANT MAINTENANCE - POSSIBLE OUTAGE & INTERUPTION

Post by PETROLHEAD »

Hi all, crikey its February already, spring will be around the corner and so i hope everyone is gearing up for their spring projects, meets and maintenance.

Speaking of which, the forum, having been live now under its current guise for a few years, is having to undergo some necessary changes, mostly background stuff, that'll barely be noticeable, but unfortunately those that we purchase our webspace and internet provision from have informed me that the forum template and software that we currently use, and have done since day one, will no longer be supported, in fact, in their attempts to purge their own systems and servers of elderley and unused clients and data, they wish to actually delete their servers of such archaic formats! How very dare they! :x

So we are in talks with own web developer as to how we can avoid such a catastrophy, and he has a plan to back up our entire forum database to date, write a new supporting forum site and upload everything into it, before it gets to this horrific deadline.

If we can stretch our budget a little further, we may also "freshen up" the look a little, but it is very much funds allowing, and rest assured this will only be an image or two, maybe a few colour and pallet changes here and their, our desire is to certainly remain as we are as far as layout and usability goes. A case of if it aint broke don't fix it, and i think most folk agree that this simple and advert free layout is still a pleasure to navigate compared to most other forums and webspaces.

And the mention of other webspaces brings me to another notification, regarding our always intended sister site the Modern Alfa Forum.

Again we have to be realistic and wise about where we spend what when it comes to the forum, and whilst we appreciate every single penny you guys donate, it is still very much coming out of the fruits of mine own and Kev's labours, our own pocket, and whilst this is not a begging bowl post, what we have had to concede to doing is to let the Modern sister site idea fall by the wayside.

With the pending costs of the background developer looming, which will also include some targetted google search engine work, we hope to attract new members in order to flesh out our quieter, and even unused area's of the forum. Where are all the 155, 75, GTV , Spider folk hanging out? We must try and at least get a piece of the action from these guys to justify the expense going forward.

Another reason for dropping the Modern Alfa Forum, is that so many new free pages and sites are cropping up on Facebook, including the new Club Alfa Facebook page that i was invited too (:roll: ) , i think we would be wasting our time and money trying to combat this trend with our own forum, and better apply what budget we have to what we know and do best.

Besides, most of which i see is still the usual "Air Freshener" and "Turtle Wax" debates rather than anyone getting their hands proper dirty, and we've never wanted a site of any size or shape to be used so superficially. I think i speak for most who remember the old alfaowner days of these debate posts, Who Cares! :lol:

And "Getting their hands dirty" reminds me of yet another forum related announcement.

Myself and Kev were chatting recently on the amount of work now required to keep an ageing 156, 147, GT etc on the road and in good fettle, plus considering that the conception of that platform is around 25 years old, we wondered whether it was time they gained classic status and a lounge here within the forum.

We agreed that a model of car that is of that age, and often now requires the repairs that many of us consider common place and very familiar with, must surely deserve a place now, and so to that end we will be adding a new lounge or two to allow these platform and next generation of cars and owners into our forum and fold :P

So, I certainly have my hands full juggling this little lot around, but the final word is that we may experience short periods of service interruption and outage whilst the database is being worked on.

We hope to minimise this, and i apologise upfront for any inconvenience it may cause, but its either that or the forum suffer a much larger and longer lasting impact from this software update and purge operation, so please bare with us.

All the best everybody, time for us all to get cracking...

Shrew
SHREW

I AM the Law!

Alfasud 1.7-16v, Charade Turbo SR, & The Dirty Diesels - GT Cloverleaf, 159 Ti Sportwagon, Saab 9-3 Sportwagon

LooLooSud33Spider

Re: IMPORTANT MAINTENANCE - POSSIBLE OUTAGE & INTERUPTION

Post by LooLooSud33Spider »

Ahh right er yes that’s what I was thinking
Alfasud Ti 1984
Alfa Spider 2.0 Ts 916
Alfa Spider 20v Turbo

Johnboy

Post by Johnboy »

Morning chap
Yeah agree .we don't need another site . Possibly have a small section for newer Alfas? Good plan with the 156 147 and gt section. Maybe a go fund me section so I can finally get my bloody 33 back on the road too :lol:
Powered by the dark side
Gt jtdm blackline
S2 33 cl veloce 16v sleeping
Freestyle superjet jetski

Crank

Post by Crank »

I have a 147 2.0TS and so I am all for a 147 page. I am also doing major repairs on my 75TS and will put some posts up.
as for posts about air freshener and turtle wax. Have you ever looked at the MX-5 forums !
1976 1.5Ti
1977 1.2Ti
1989 1.7 Sprint Veloce
1989 75TS
2003 147 2.0TS Lusso
2004 MX5 1.8S
2002 1.6 Focus LX

LooLooSud33Spider

Leave “Feu Orange” and the little coloured plastic turtles (can i say coloured) out of this
Alfasud Ti 1984
Alfa Spider 2.0 Ts 916
Alfa Spider 20v Turbo

KevJTD

Post by KevJTD »

The proposal for a 147/156/GT lounge has nothing at all to do with me recently considering getting a 156, I assure all :D

Just thought it was about time they got on here, nowhere near as many numbers of them about as there used to be, not so long ago an eBay search would show 200+ cars, now it's only around 20. An early V6 saloon would do me, nearly fell for one very recently but too many things going against it so another rare bout of common sense prevented it.

On the forum thing our aim is to future proof it somewhat, hopefully by concentrating funds onto the classic site rather than the idea of the stillborn modern classic forum for which I must admit to not realising there was ongoing costs to that while we dithered :roll: we should be able to swallow the latest development fees and continue to provide you guys with a free to use forum, free from subscription as well as any stifling rules.

Having said that though, and to reiterate this isn't a begging thread, we do appreciate all donations, all helps to keep things ticking over. ;)
Giulietta JTD 170
Lancia Delta integrale
Lancia Flavia coupe 1.8 1963
Lancia Dedra turbo
Renault Clio 197 RS

I'm bad with people things
But I should have tried more

PETROLHEAD

Post by PETROLHEAD »

Thank you all for your continuing participation and appreciation of the Forum, it certainly still feels a great thing to be part of after what is now 7 years!

The background work is under way, and i've managed to add the 156,147 and GT forum lounge as we promised, so you'll now firnd that title in the Technical Discussion listings.

Enjoy as usual, behave as you always do, and lets see how it all grows and develops in the next 7 years! :P
SHREW

I AM the Law!

Alfasud 1.7-16v, Charade Turbo SR, & The Dirty Diesels - GT Cloverleaf, 159 Ti Sportwagon, Saab 9-3 Sportwagon

leonidas540bc

Post by leonidas540bc »

IMPORTANT!

We have had to restore a previous backup as the upgrade completely FUBAR'd the database.

We've lost maybe two weeks of posts but it's much better than the potentially nightmare scenario of losing everything!

Thanks for your patience and we'll keep you updated!

Leo

KevJTD

Post by KevJTD »

We're all of an age where we wouldn't remember what we said 2 weeks ago Leo, so no harm done :lol:

As ever, your efforts are greatly appreciated 8-)

Worse things going on in the world to worry about right now.
Giulietta JTD 170
Lancia Delta integrale
Lancia Flavia coupe 1.8 1963
Lancia Dedra turbo
Renault Clio 197 RS

I'm bad with people things
But I should have tried more

PETROLHEAD

Post by PETROLHEAD »

Important notification

As you should already be aware, we're forced to do to huge revisions to our background software to remain viable at all in the future, but also taking the opportunity to work with our Web developer for a freshen up.

To that end, as previously warned, we will have occasional interruptions and outages whilst the database is, as safely as possible, worked upon to affect these modifications and updates.

Such an outage will occur later this afternoon, circa 4pm, and may last several hours or so.

This really is a pivotal point in this work, so please be patient.

Its likely that the forum will appear under a default and impersonal skin as they call it, so the next phase will be to adorn it with our lovely classic alfa images and themes etc.

Thanks again for your continued support and understanding.

Shrew
SHREW

I AM the Law!

LooLooSud33Spider

Thanks Shrew. Just want to thank you Kev and Leo again for all your work on everything forum related
Alfasud Ti 1984
Alfa Spider 2.0 Ts 916
Alfa Spider 20v Turbo

leonidas540bc

Post by leonidas540bc »

After hours of forehead slapping and blistered fingers, the new forum software is up and running!

I can now get on with the important business of making it look pretty!

Leo

PETROLHEAD

Post by PETROLHEAD »

Myself and Kev are just doing the necessary, its Leonidas (Jeff) that's doing all the hard work really, besides, I've no hair left to pull out, so i can't claim that one! :D

All safely onto the new database, and running the latest software, that should keep us out of trouble for a while at least, so as Jeff says, its now the prettying up to be done, so we have new pictures and icons waiting in the wings, probably a big colour revision to make it pop and easy for us old bespectacled gits to use! 8-)

Thanks Jeff, can't wait for the new forum appearance, dragging us into to this modern era with our vintage cars! :P
SHREW

I AM the Law!

Kegsti66

Post by Kegsti66 »

Cheers Guys, we all appreciate what you are doing for us all and keeping us posted. :D

Johnboy

Post by Johnboy »

Morning
Looking great guys . I can only imagine how hard it is to convert to the latest platform. Nice work Jeff 8-)