Large Car Transport Trailer for sale

PETROLHEAD

Large Car Transport Trailer for sale

Post by PETROLHEAD »

Due to a change in my outfit, i have for sale my trustworthy car trailer.

Quite a few folk on here will know of it, and even had their pride and joys atop of it, and hopefully they will testify if asked as to how well it does the job, and much more.

Its a large and very versatile trailer, 16ft of load bed, approximately 19ft total length including the hitch, and built on an alloy A frame, steel box section bed, and alloy again for the chequered bed surface.

It rides on 4 x 10" wheels under the bed, not outside it to keep the width down to gate and drive friendly sizes, which are fixed to braked and very heavy duty plant axles.

The rear most axle can jack up towards the bed on two integrated hydraulic rams, allowing the trailer to tilt down substantially at the rear to help loading low, modified, and race vehicles.

This isn't needed very often, particularly as i had some 8ft ramps custom made for just this type of car. they are constructed from Aluminium again to remain lightweight, but have been machine formed and bent into a very strong shape, and then further tapered and reinforced to aid loading of any type of vehicle. These have cost me £400 to buy and have made over the various stages, and are a godsend compared to the steel ramps i initially made, jee's they weighed a ton!

The ramps now stow away on the trailer itself, locking in and down on locating bolts and bars, so no need to carry them separately.

Also a modification of my own was the switch to an Electric Winch and remote control hook up.

I fitted a Rule 33 winch, with a good load speed and fantastic pulling capability. Rated at 3300lb for a single line pull, i've pulled the Toyota Hilux Surf and extras on to it at full incline, and it doesn't break a sweat!

It has lots and lots of cable to it, so you could double line pull loads more weight with it too, but little need to as you would be exceeding most towing laws i'm sure!

The remote plugs in to a socket at the very rear of the trailer, on a decent wander lead, so you can adjust and steer the car on the ramps whilst controlling the winch, so its always loaded centrally and squarely.

Since i've had the new outfit, and set it out to work immediately, this one, my first proper trailer has been sat idle, so i do know it needs a couple of bits n bobs tidying to be perfect or as new again, but essentially its ready for work right now. A lick of paint to a small number of sections wouldn't go a miss come spring time, but there is no rust or rot to be concerned about.

I have a new contacter for the winch motor to swap over, the hitch could do with a grease gun and the brakes adjusting, more as part of an annual check over and service than essential repairs, good practice, but a repair i do know of is the hydraulic line for the axle lift rams has a small leak, so i need to make a union or a joint to cure that and have the lifting axle operable again, but i haven't missed that facility due to the 8ft ramps if i'm honest, so i made lock off bars to fix the axle in its usual lowered position.

All wheels and tyres were replaced less than about 1000miles ago, and come with a spare too, as was the electrical wiring and the standard bulb back lights which are now LED's, and the original wooden decking replaced with strong and lightweight aluminium checquer plate again.

For all its size and use, it tows fantastically, empty or loaded, always been weave free and very reassuring. As a just in case, i added two breakaway chains to the hitch mount, so the trailer could never separate from the two vehicle if it tried! It just adds peace of mind in my opinion, and its not too bad to manouvre around on the drive by hand either, so not overly heavy either.

I've never given it a hard time, apart from testing it with the Hilux Surf mentioned above, i think the heaviest i've had aboard for any distance was an old Mercedes W114, about 2 tonne worth of autobahn-settee, and it was still beautifully behaved from start to finish, but mostly it has done Alfa's of course :D

DSC_0663.JPG
DSC_0743.JPG
DSC_0979.jpg

I will offer this to CAF members firstly, on a take it as it is basis and perform a spring service yourself, for a knock down price of £1000, no offers.

Alternatively, if i spend a day or so on it, and perform the service etc, it will be considerably more.

Don't forget the ramps alone were £400, new aluminium chequered decking was £300, the new tyres and wheels £250, the winch set up would sell for £150, so the rest of it is almost for free!

Usable straight away, set it to work and earn.

Located in Nottinghamshire, message, email (petrolheadshrew@gmail.com) or ring me (07875 749472) to discuss further or arrange a viewing etc

Thanks for looking
SHREW

I AM the Law!

Alfasud 1.7-16v, Charade Turbo SR, & The Dirty Diesels - GT Cloverleaf, 159 Ti Sportwagon, Saab 9-3 Sportwagon

Veesix75

Re: Large Car Transport Trailer for sale

Post by Veesix75 »

That's a good buy for somone shrew, good trailers don't come up often at reasonable prices.

Mostly they are either rubbish or anything good at a price, with no in between.

PETROLHEAD

Post by PETROLHEAD »

Tell me about it Tim! :roll:

My new outfit was a damn sight more expensive than this, still needs improving and modifying for my own personal uses, and doesn't actually do anything any better than this one yet :|

I know the question at your fingertips, Dont ask! lol!

Anyway, until i hear differently, someone else also appreciates the very same point, and thankfully, a fellow garage owner and Alfa racer is very very interested in it, which is great! :D
SHREW

I AM the Law!

Alfasud 1.7-16v, Charade Turbo SR, & The Dirty Diesels - GT Cloverleaf, 159 Ti Sportwagon, Saab 9-3 Sportwagon

KevJTD

Post by KevJTD »

carried many of my stuff, the top pic was one of my 156's in fact :D
Giulietta JTD 170
Lancia Delta integrale
Lancia Flavia coupe 1.8 1963
Lancia Dedra turbo
Renault Clio 197 RS

I'm bad with people things
But I should have tried more

alfachris

Post by alfachris »

2 of my sud's have been delivered on it

PETROLHEAD

Post by PETROLHEAD »

Aye, she has done many an Alfa and owner proud,

and will continue to do so :D
SHREW

I AM the Law!

Veesix75

Post by Veesix75 »

I'm restricted to something that fits into my single standard sized house garage, which means a BJ Minno.

It's a great little trailer, but 'little' is the over riding descriptor. I literally have centimetres to spare on width and length.

I was lucky to get a used one where the toe pole inverts vertically when stored.

Given the choice I'd always have a bigger one, just don't have the choice.