Air Compressors, professional quality!

PETROLHEAD

Air Compressors, professional quality!

Post by PETROLHEAD »

Hi all

i've been sorting through all sorts of my workshop stuff, trying to simplify things, so 3 or 4 air compressors isn't really necessary apparently! :lol:

I have a choice of equipment, firstly, a large clarke air vessel alone, around 250litres, very useful as a secondary air pig if you have an adequate compressor but insufficient air stock or storage.

Secondly, a complete SIP 740/200 compressor. Originally around 25/28cfm but this was as a 3phase 5.5hp driven machine. It is slightly less now as i converted it to a single phase 240v 4hp motor and geared it down ever so slightly to reduce the load as it approaches its 150psi cut off. However, i've just purchased a brand new 240v single phase 5.5hp motor which i have earmarked to go back onto this pump and get it back closer to its original air making spec. At 5.5hp it will need around a 20 to 30amp supply, no good trying to plug this one in!

Thirdly, i have a Clarke SE36C250, 3 phase, 7.5hp driven beastie. Makes air at around 35cfm, fills a 250litre tank at 150psi from empty quick smart!

Don't ask why i have so many compressors, i think i just liked the projects, or the security of knowing that i could never be without if i had a failure of mass proportion, and i don't even have a 3 phase supply ! :lol:

The "Air Pig", is in good condition, few paint imperfections but a solid rust free and air tight tank, £100ono

The SIP 740/200, is in fabulously clean condition, can be seen here when i was messing with first small 3hp single phase motor ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f_55V6V5aPI ). I bought it from a bankrupt printing firm that had only lasted a few months! £400 ono including the brand new 5.5hp single motor installed.

The Clarke SE36C250, incredibly clean for its age and 100% functional. I bought this from a glazing manufacturer, who had used it for approximately 2 years from new to simply blow plastic shavings from their machinery. Then they purchased a screw compressor and simply used the air tank. The motor and air pump has been redundant for most of its life! £600 ono
2017-10-28 17.38.20.jpg

pm me for more details or with interest
SHREW

I AM the Law!

Alfasud 1.7-16v, Charade Turbo SR, & The Dirty Diesels - GT Cloverleaf, 159 Ti Sportwagon, Saab 9-3 Sportwagon

LooLooSud33Spider

Re: Air Compressors, professional quality!

Post by LooLooSud33Spider »

Ive sent you a text Shrew.
Alfasud Ti 1984
Alfa Spider 2.0 Ts 916
Alfa Spider 20v Turbo

MikeH

Re: Air Compressors, professional quality!

Post by MikeH »

Old thread and off topic, but .... Do you know about compressors then?

I've got a 100 and 150L compressor, both of which are a bit slow to switch themselves on when the pressure drops.

1. Clarke 100L airmaster 3hp twin cylinder direct drive thing

2. Unknown 1980s belt driven 150L. Probably a much better bet if I can get it to switch on and off reliably.

I was planning to take it apart and try cleaning out the control box, lube it and put it back together. Is that likely to work or would you advise another route?

Ideally I'd like to run the tools off of one and an air fed mask off the other, as I do a bit of spraying on my own cars.

Thanks for any advice.