Compomotive MS 1380 Wheels, refurb, engineering, and use

How to improve the Cornering & Stopping of your Alfa
PETROLHEAD

Compomotive MS 1380 Wheels, refurb, engineering, and use

Post by PETROLHEAD »

Hi all

this will be a pretty brief thread to show what sort of things can be done to use wheels, not originally destined for use on Italian cars, and in no way fit for your ride initially.

Firstly, these are owned by Mike (Buzzed) whom i had been discussing retro wheels and styles with for a short while. It became quite clear, and expectedly i guess, that certain brands of wheels here in the uk were very rare over the ponds in Australia, and vice versa.

He had showed me the sort of wheel he would really like to see on his Fiat initially, but would also grace many of his 70/80's era cars, his newly acquired Sud for one of them.

I identified the style and taste, best produced as one of my favourites, Compomotive MS range of wheels, but he wanted a width and dish that is almost none existent today, as it generally died out with the rear wheel drive cars of the same late 70's early 80's, so trying to find some 30+ years later, and in 4 x 98 pcd, 58.1 or 58.6 centre bore, from an era that 4 stud rear wheel drive Alfa's was going to be all but impossible.

However, where there is a will, there is a way, and i knew that Mike was coming over to England for Goodwood, and a trip round old blighty, so, as a gent with the same addiction to old skool cool as myself, we just had to hook up, chew the fat a bit, and see if there isn't a way to overcome the seemingly unobtainable unicorn horn of wheel rims.

I had ready for him, a collection of wheels to show him, as i bought them, in a bit of a state, painted badly, and what paint there was applied was trying its best to unattatch itself at a rapid rate!

BUT, they were Compomotive MS 1380's, in other words the classic Pent Star design, in 13" diameter, and a whopping 8j (9") width, and a ridiculous offset giving a huge deep dish effect, almost perfect but for the fact that they had been assembled as a "set" from mismatched pairs, probably from an Opel Manta GT, early VW or other GM hub'ed cars. That means they were 4 x 100mm pcd, different centre bores etc etc, but are they the right sort of wheel for Mike?

ms 1380.jpg

Yes!

So a plan was hatched and a deal done, and this is how I have overcome some of the fit and mismatch issues so that Mike will end up with his awesome dream rims.

Firstly, lets get rid of the awful paint, and get back to where these wheels were 30+ years ago, stripped to virgin alloy. So to begin with a chemical strip, followed by a relatively soft shotblast. This is because ultimately the deep dish section will be getting polished, and if you try to polish a harsh deep grain shotblasted area, it can take literally forever! So twice the cost to do it this way, but the results are far better in the long run.

DSC_3608.JPG

Now i can see the wood for the trees, time to measure up exactly where we're at for the engineering.

For starters, 2 of the wheels have got the large/tall centre cap turret, and 2 haven't, so these need machining down to be equal, and accept the same shallow type of Compomotive centre emblem.
DSC_3699.JPG

Secondly, 2 of the wheels have a centre bore of 63.4, and 2 were 57.1, more evidence of the former GM/Vauxhall use, so again 2 of them needed to be machined to match the larger 63.4mm, so that spigot rings can be used on all 4 wheels to reduce the hub fit down to the Italian friendly 58.1mm Mike needs.

Both these jobs were done on a lovely old large bed lathe, and manually might i add, rather than vertically on a cnc mill, where the job can only be as true as the mounting and "clock" centering of the workpiece itself. These came out perfect using old skool methods and machines, and pretty quickly too once loaded up and spinning, so all 4 wheels are matching on the outside, and accept the reducing spigot rings to fit snugly onto our Alfa/Fiat/Lancia sized hub protrusions.
DSC_3701.JPG
DSC_3702.JPG

Next phase is to prepare the wheels ready for powder coating, and this is where i have a small delay, Grrrr! :x

I have converted a wheel/tyre balancing machine to be a constant and extremely true wheel spinning machine, to help get a really nice and consistent sand/polish to any outer rim or circular area, but the centering cone needed for such small centre wheels is missing and i am still waiting for it to arrive in the post from the bloke who has confirmed he still has it :roll:

I will sand all rim and edge marks from the wheels, and start the sanding off for the final polish on the deep dish so that once at Mikes end, it isn't a huge task to polish the powder off and get a high quality shine without 3 weeks of labour, a full set of finger nails and 5 boxes of abrasives!

That said, no-one ever told him that would be easy, just very worthwhile! :D
SHREW

I AM the Law!

Alfasud 1.7-16v, Charade Turbo SR, & The Dirty Diesels - GT Cloverleaf, 159 Ti Sportwagon, Saab 9-3 Sportwagon

PETROLHEAD

Re: Compomotive MS 1380 Wheels, refurb, engineering, and use

Post by PETROLHEAD »

So phase 3 of the prep work is delayed by a bloke with a cone, so i'll come back to that later.

For now, i'll go back to the pcd issue.

If you remember these are 4 x 100mm pcd, and we need 4 x 98mm pcd.

Mike and I are both fans of studs in the hub, and nuts to hold the wheels on, as opposed to threaded holes and bolts. It is possibly a personal choice, but not only is it physically easier to fit wheels this way as the weight of the wheel is instantly supported by the studs whilst you manouevre it precisely over the hub etc i do believe it has certain engineering advantages too, not least, that for someone like me who changes wheels like underpants (yes, everyday for you doubters!) it does not weaken the thread of the hub from regular torque and tightening, and a stud is a lot easier and cheaper to replace than a hub too etc etc

This also works very well with the little device known as Adjuster or Wobble nuts to achieve the pcd conversion.

These clever little devices simply allow the centering once of the nut or bolt that sits in the wheel mount hole to move freely as much as 2mm in any direction, so they will centre in the mount whole precisely where they should be, but allow the thread area to be 2mm off centre.

Key to this is having the wheel centre mounted to the car hub very precisely, as, depending on which side of the argument you are on, this means that the weight and stress of the vehicle / wheel relationship reads as follows,

The hub mount bares the weight and stress of the vehicle, the studs/nuts do not bare any weight, they are simply to clamp the surfaces together.

So any doubts you may have in the ability of a 2mm adjuster nut, or bolt, should be quashed by the above engineering fact, plus the evidence that i have used them for years on road/track etc etc without a single issue, no coming lose, no failures or breakages, and no i've never lost a wheel, should say it all.

Still using them today, on my Sud, 164 QV, and the 147 GTA, faultlessly, but with much attention paid to the snug hubcentric fit of wheel to car first and foremost.

here are the little beauties,
wobble nuts.jpg
wobble bolts.jpg

and this is why i can be such a wheel whore even though i/we own one of the least common and awkward stud patterns and hubs, and i don't mind saying some of the worst looking stock oe wheel choices.

all of a sudden, wheels from VW, GM etc etc 4x100 and 5x100 pcd patterns can be used on our 4 and 5 x 98mm pcd, and for very little expense.

there are of course hubcentric adapters too, but in many cases, adding 15/20mm minimum to the outward offset, just isn't practical
SHREW

I AM the Law!

Alfasud 1.7-16v, Charade Turbo SR, & The Dirty Diesels - GT Cloverleaf, 159 Ti Sportwagon, Saab 9-3 Sportwagon

alfachris

Post by alfachris »

I've got wobble bolts with the tsw's on the attol 155

PETROLHEAD

Post by PETROLHEAD »

Invaluable for any wheel whore! :D
SHREW

I AM the Law!

Johnboy

Post by Johnboy »

Great write chap 8-)
Powered by the dark side
Gt jtdm blackline
S2 33 cl veloce 16v sleeping
Freestyle superjet jetski

Fetta GTV

Post by Fetta GTV »

Looking forward to seeing them finished.
Will look perfect on the sud or the fiat, or my sprint :D

PETROLHEAD

Post by PETROLHEAD »

Yeah they're gonna be gorgeous i'm sure.

The colour choice is going to be a solid silver powder coat, then the deep dish and rim polished out to a fine finish as a contrast and to show the deepness off! nice!!

But, where these will probably differ from most others is that to get a nice bright silver, they'll be done in an interior chrome powder coat first, and clear powder coat laquer to finish and protect.

reason being, that the chrome isn't suitable for outdoor use, it suffers under natural levels uv and cleaning detergents etc can ruin it aswell, but under the clear coat its perfect, and achieves a slightly clouded polished look instead of being a bright silver by using heavy metallic particles which today look a bit dated, like 70's glitter balls! ha ha!

its hard to describe, but trust me, the extra work and effort pays off, it looks brilliant! :D

this is the same finish on my own Compomotive Split rims barrels

DSC_3007.JPG

check out the gloss on that, for powder coat!

DSC_3023.JPG

sometimes, i'm just too good!
SHREW

I AM the Law!

buzzed

Post by buzzed »

Shrew,

Outstanding work so far, I knew you were the right man to make my crazy wheel needs a reality!

I'm glued to this thread now.

So a point of clarification in relation to the method of clamping the wheel to the hub. My understanding is that we use an insert in the wheel to give the correct spigot match up. So this does the wheel centralising (not the stud/wobble nuts). The clamping is provided by the stud/nut, which in turn generates friction on the face of the hub/resistance to side loading. In addition, the spigot bolsters this side loading resistance through its shear capacity, which is a function of the spigot root area (shear surface) and material selection.

The wobble nuts job is to generate clamping load between hub and wheel, without side loading the stud, which would in turn preload the spigot ring.

PETROLHEAD

Post by PETROLHEAD »

Correct!

I thought the real physics side of it would be useful, but put it simpler for folks like me who just like wheels! Ha ha!

Clearly you side with me on the whole studs job argument then Mike.

Oddly, there are a lot of people who are prepared to ignore the importance of the hub fit centralising the wheel first and foremost, and believe it is the studs/bolts job to do this with their cone seating, plus bare the weight of the vehicle with their shear strength.

I find that a little bemusing personally, and i know there are lots of fellas out there running without the spigot ring to properly reduce a wheel centre bore to car hub size, and havent yet had an issue, but i know which method and theory i like.

Some of those same folk would also be the guys to turn their nose up at adjuster nuts/bolts,

How strange eh! :roll:
SHREW

I AM the Law!

buzzed

Post by buzzed »

I thought the real physics side of it would be useful, but put it simpler for folks like me who just like wheels! Ha ha!
Erm yes...sorry...nerd alert! I'll shut up now. Just finish the wheels already haha!

PETROLHEAD

Post by PETROLHEAD »

Nerd Alert? Ha Ha!

I hear you, BUT, it was worth stating anyway, as it will likely answer a few queries in the future.

essentially, my rules for fitting wheel that you couldn't normally fit are prioritised as follows.

1st - Hub Mount, you've got to be able to either spigot ring down to the precise size of the hub nose or adapter, this is known as a hubcentric fit, i.e. the centre of the wheel hub is the primary centralising tool for the wheel itself.

2nd - Stud pattern, PCD (Pitch Circle Diamter), the diameter of the invisible circle that the stud/bolt holes are centred on if you drew it with a compass. If the PCD is different between the hub and the wheel you would like to use, can you redrill the hub to suit, redrill the wheel to suit, have room for a PCD converting adapter, or use adjuster nuts/bolts if the difference is very small.

If you can find a way to incorporate those methods into the fitment of none oe wheels, the world is your oyster, and the choice is phenomenal.

If anyone wants any eleboration on the above methods or ideas, just holla and i'll put a paragraph up on it.
SHREW

I AM the Law!

Spacenut

Post by Spacenut »

Fantastic write up Shrew, very inspiring!

My old steel Weller Racing 7 x 15s are starting to pall a bit. Some people say they love 'em, and they do look a bit Alfa, with the ring of holes (seen a couple of Bertone GTVs using them, same PCD as Ford of course, 4 x 108mm). I think my problem is that the wheels I want don't exist in the size I need, let alone the offset or width - for exmple, I love the Campags fitted to the GTAm, and you can still get replicas, but I need 15" not 13".

Group 4 are still (sort of) going after the collapse of Compomotive, and they do a version of the Campags fitted to De Tomasos, which look OK, in a conservative sort of way. Then there is the J A Pearce Magna, if you can get a response out of the company, only available in 7 x 15" max (I think I need something wider at the back).

Finally there is the Gotti 75BA split rims, hideously expensive, and using the same centres for 13" and 15" means the latter are all rim and very little centre!

So I keep coming back to my cheap as chips steelies - they look the part, and only cost me £35 each back in '97!

Lauren

PETROLHEAD

Post by PETROLHEAD »

Oh i adore the Gotti 75's, drooled over on the renault 5 turbo II many a time with those staggered bad boys!

available here in a good 15" selection Lauren?

http://www.politecnic.com/jantes.htm

need a 2nd mortgage but i would,

loreal.jpg
loreal.jpg (7.4 KiB) Viewed 19811 times

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
SHREW

I AM the Law!

PETROLHEAD

Post by PETROLHEAD »

Just briefly back on topic, i had the all important centralising cone turn up yesterday, AT LAST! :)

only to find he's sent the wrong part afterall, its only 37mm id and the shaft on my balancer is 40mm, so must be from a different brand machine GGGRRRRRrrr! :evil: :evil: :evil:

rather than send it back and wait any longer, i'll have it turned out on the lathe and get cracking,

flippin imbeciles!
SHREW

I AM the Law!

buzzed

Post by buzzed »

As a great man once said, DOH!

PETROLHEAD

Post by PETROLHEAD »

Ok,

finally!!

the wheel mount cone has been lathed to match the 40mm od of the wheel spinner shaft, and we are back in business :D

so the compomotives have been sanded smooth to take the harsh key from even a relatively fine shotblasting, and make sure that the powder paint to follow is no longer just an industrial coating, but a nice finish that is good to grace a special car.

and second to that is to use the spinner to get the deep dish and lip section completely free from chips and marks, and also to sand all the shotblast key away, and to a very smooth finish.

this is not actually to improve the finish of the powder coat in this area, but to make polishing the deep dish area far far easier. If not, the powder coat becomes deeply engrained into the blast key, and it is a nightmare to sand out.

and so here is a raw blasted wheel alongside a sanded and spun wheel, and the mount cone i'd been waiting for so long!

DSC_3727.JPG

now apparent, is that the wheels that had the tall centre cap turrets, also have a very smooth dish, all the way to the radius, whereas the others have a tiny profile change an inch short of the radius. I never spotted it before at all, only felt it when i was sanding them. Weird these little casting differences, and although i havent checked yet, they may hint at a fractionally different offset, which might be nice to help squeeze 8j rims into a car that had 5's! ha ha! :mrgreen:
SHREW

I AM the Law!

PETROLHEAD

Post by PETROLHEAD »

and so now its now to the ovens and the paint booth with them for powder coat.

this will be a multistage stage process including pre-heating, priming, colouring, lacquering curing and cooking to get the final silver and level of durability we want.

won't be long now Mike :P
SHREW

I AM the Law!

alfachris

Post by alfachris »

Looking to seeing them finished as looking good already last week

Fetta GTV

Post by Fetta GTV »

Looking good
Are they going on the sud or the fiat?

PETROLHEAD

Post by PETROLHEAD »

As far as i know, they were always thought of for the fiat,

But you never know, once they've been trial fitted to a few hubs, they often find a home rather differently from their original destination!
SHREW

I AM the Law!

buzzed

Post by buzzed »

Gees, I've been working too hard, missed all this!
Looking good Shrew, going to be really special. Interesting about the profile change, I did not spot that either.

You are right, these wheels are destined for my Fiat 1283P but of course are interchangeable with my Sud. I am sure they will be slipped onto both cars at some point, but since I am not a fan of cutting panels, I will likely just fit to Fiat with flares. Will transform the look.

By the by, I saw a tidy hillman imp in white packed out front of work...very very tidy, with plates 'imperial' or 'impound'...no no got it, it was 'impress'. And I was.

Love your work Shrew, was a good decision hooking up with you, attention to detail is something most lack nowadays.

Cheers
Mike

PETROLHEAD

Post by PETROLHEAD »

Thanks Mike, much appreciated.

Imps are one of those itches i'd love to scratch, i really like the cute little things, and one thing springs to mind every time i see an Imp engine bay,

Big Bike Engine!

the angle they the original unit leans forward, and the allowed space, is just begging for a tuned Gsxr unit! awesome!

anwyay, back on thread,

Mike, they should be coming out the oven for the last time today!

fingers crossed, more later......... :D
SHREW

I AM the Law!

PETROLHEAD

Post by PETROLHEAD »

And here they are!

Not looking bad for 30 year old rims eh!

DSC_3766.JPG
DSC_3767.JPG
DSC_3768.JPG
SHREW

I AM the Law!

SteffenJ3316V

Post by SteffenJ3316V »

They look very nice :) That is a Big dish :shock:

Johnboy

Post by Johnboy »