Post by STEVE5M »

This is where you post details and lots of photos of your GTV6 :D
Had: 1974 Alfasud 5M, 1989 Alfasud Sprint 1.5QV,
Got: 1986 Alfetta GTV6
Want: Alfasud 5M, S1 Alfasud1.2 or 1.3Ti

NEG

Re: Hey, NEG!

Post by NEG »

LOL! You know I've only just found this! Was going to make a new thread as we've decided to get the ball rolling and get the old girl going again. If we don't do it now I don't think I we will ever get around to it.

We moved 'bleery' (don't ask) 3 years ago after my mum passed away. She had been housed at my mums house since 1999/2000 and had been stored under a pile of junk only to be kept under another pile at our place. Now our Sprint is just about complete and used when ever the weather is good the urge to get the GTV6 has grown stronger.

So yesterday we dug her out clearing all the stuff off and organised for a local guy who mainly restores Maserati's to come and have a gander. He's local and had looked at our Sprint previously for a wheel bearing problem. He was honest and said he was expecting a basket case! But was really surprised at the condition. The old girl is quite solid, yes there's rot around the rear arches and lower wings plus some bubbles at the base of the A pillars but the floor pan boot area bonnet and front wings seem solid.

The main problems seem to be mechanical, usual stuff, seized brakes and fuel pump. Seized clutch etc plus the last time I ran the car she smoked like a good un so the engine will need looking at. All the bushes will need replacing along with fuel lines and brake lines so there will be loads to do but he's willing to do it.

Next step is to agree a plan and approx. price for the work and a time for the work to start. So first pictures after we removed everything except for an old top box!

NEG

Post by NEG »

Kegsti66

Post by Kegsti66 »

Good luck with the project.

NEG

Post by NEG »

Progress is being made. Went to have a look yesterday and the guys have got the engine and gearbox out. The engine bay came up well after a good steam clean

The car is surprisingly solid, the chassis rails are in good order on the main rot areas are confined to the rear wheel arches and rear lower sills. The garage managed to find a pair of replacement wheel arch panels NOS which was quite a find. Apparently they also found a company who had the press to remake these panels but when they went to find it they couldn't, apparently somebody had disposed of it as it hadn't been used for ages!

The engine is in bits, the crank and bores are v.good so just new bearings and rings. The bad smoke from when she last run was due to worn out exhaust valve guides and seals so the heads are away for rework.

The gear box will be overhauled but the clutch may be an issue. Replacements come in at 560 quid plus VAT! :shock: So they are going to see if this one can be made serviceable and relined.

I need to start sourcing bits, I need new outer headlights and indicator lenses plus some other bits of trim.....time to get googling......

STEVE5M

Post by STEVE5M »

NEG,

Outer headlights are rare as hens teeth. Go for LH drive versions.

Steve

NEG

Post by NEG »

Ok will do, how easy is it to separate the glass from the lamp unit and swap over?

STEVE5M

Post by STEVE5M »

NEG,

not tried it. I believe some people have done it though. I remember seeing threads on AO?

Rgds,
Steve

Kegsti66

Post by Kegsti66 »

Hi Guys,
I believe the threads on here have done Sud light units by soaking overnight in petrol. :o

NEG

Post by NEG »

Not much been going on recently. Engine is back and fitted with new bearings and rings, heads skimmed and new exhaust valve oil seals etc. Gearbox was due back before xmas but not sure of the latest. The garage had managed to start work on the body though.

NEG

Post by NEG »

Things are progressing slowly. Gearbox is back and refurbished dual clutch is ready to go in. Rear wheel arch now finished and the guys are going to start on the other side soon.

The engine has proved to be a bit of an issue , well the conrods have. It seems on one bank they where installed incorrectly IE the offset was wrong so the main bearings on that side where wearing into a conical shape causing uneven wear. Also those same rods did not have an oil squirter hole but the other side did.....curious. Anyhow the guys have sourced three replacement rods with holes but couldn't understand why they had been installed incorrectly.

I dug back through my service receipts (I'm the second owner form new) and it transpires that not only have the head gaskets been replaced twice (once with the previous owner) the engine has been out to replace a leaking rear crankshaft oil seal...hmmmm.

I'd forgotten this had been done and unless the quality control at the Alfa factory was lacking then the garage (Amersham Motors, now no more) are to blame for the incorrect offset. I'm glad the guys decided to do the full monty on the engine as I was not going to bother!

Anyhow some pics. Front suspension cleaned up and painted. The old girl is surprisingly solid under neath.

NEG

Post by NEG »

Oh, the cause of the corrosion on the rear wheel arches seems to be due to the underseal not making its way into the arch lip. On the one they cut out part was undersealed and solid but where it stopped the corrosion had set in....

Johnboy

Post by Johnboy »

Coming along well body wise . I feel your pain as with the welding. As your see in my build :roll: