75 v6 handling

taffioch

75 v6 handling

Post by taffioch »

I'm no Girling Foss, but I don't like holding up the traffic on a twisty road. The 75 is absolutely standard, and I reckon a bit soft and understeer prone. The car is lowish mileage, so it's probably something it was born with - I recall a twin spark feeling more chuckable. Can anything be done to reduce the nose-heavy bias without taking out a second mortgage? Just askin'.....

PETROLHEAD

Re: 75 v6 handling

Post by PETROLHEAD »

Good evening John, how the devil!

at the risk of stating the obvious, and nothing new to you i'm sure, if it were me i would probably go down the route of stiffer shorter springs, anti roll bar, powerflex bushes, and finally better adjustable shock absorbers, maybe coilovers, in something like that order from a costing and affectiveness point of view too.

the second mortgage route, would probably be to chuck all the suspension of the SZ on it!

Jamie of AlfaWorkshop has done it to his, he and Ted reported it as an "interesting" drive at cadwell park! :P

Shrew
SHREW

I AM the Law!

Alfasud 1.7-16v, Charade Turbo SR, & The Dirty Diesels - GT Cloverleaf, 159 Ti Sportwagon, Saab 9-3 Sportwagon

AlfaCorseChris

Post by AlfaCorseChris »

I'd be interested in these handling upgrades of the 75 also.

Let us know what you find ;)

PETROLHEAD

Post by PETROLHEAD »

These mods will be no good for you Chris,

John can drive! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
SHREW

I AM the Law!

Alfasud 1.7-16v, Charade Turbo SR, & The Dirty Diesels - GT Cloverleaf, 159 Ti Sportwagon, Saab 9-3 Sportwagon

kammatic

Post by kammatic »

hello,

the castor control arm bushes on all 116 series / 75's are prone to wear, that can make the front end a bit lazy / loose

you can fit poly bushes there or even better ( and a bit more expensive ) is the 105 series castor control arm ball joint conversion.

EB spares actually sell all the parts to do the conversion, im sure if you give them a call they will put you on the right track.

AlfaCorseChris

Post by AlfaCorseChris »

petrolhead wrote:These mods will be no good for you Chris,

John can drive! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Heyyyy !!!! So can I !!!!

You've been hanging out with Shant too much lately I think.... :|

Polybushes are not an issue, what I'm thinking of is suspension :)

taffioch

Post by taffioch »

Thanks for the replies, men. I will start to look at prices for springs and things v soon, tho' there are one or two small but priority fixes to make to the car first. I was thinking that stiffening it up would be good, and was also wondering about a thicker than standard front anti-roll bar

AlfaCorseChris

Post by AlfaCorseChris »

thicker antiroll will improve body roll. Might as well, it cant hurt

PETROLHEAD

Post by PETROLHEAD »

One thing at a time though John

Dont forget your running quite an odd size wheel/tyre combo at the minute which won't be helping, and your new 16's with a lower profile should add a bit of rigidity straight away.

try these first then go from there i say, this can make quite a difference, even the miss's Fiat Uglipla manages to hold a line now with a notable wheel and tyre change instead of cornering like a blancmange on a jelly trolley!

shrew
SHREW

I AM the Law!

taffioch

Post by taffioch »

Yep. I'm only sorry that the studs haven't turned up yet, Shrew. I'll definitely do what you suggested and try the bigger wheels first. Kevin had a go in it today, on my favourite bit of road, and more or less agrees about the standard setup, I think. Think he liked it, 'tho.....