GTV6 Rear Indicator.

Nige005

GTV6 Rear Indicator.

Post by Nige005 »

Had a lot of problems with this last year and it's all kicking off again.

The Rear N/S Indicator is working intermittently, again. Started last year and gave a very confusing set of symptoms and even though I'm competent enough at car electrics it really was baffling, especially as even when things work as designed car electrics do things in weird ways !

The tests and measurements I did last year sent me all over place, seemed to change constantly, one minute it seemed to be the Bulb Holder, next it was lack of 12 Volts, next it was lack of Earth. I was very suspicious about the edge connectors on the Lamp Unit as they are knadged and have been sort of repaired by a previous owner. Despite being very suspicious of this and checking and even bypassing some of the edge connectors by temporary wiring direct to the car the results were all much the same. When in bits everything works perfectly and as soon as its all put back together and the last screw tightened you can guess - instant intermitency, if that's a word !

Can't tell you many times I did this in the brisk breezes of last April but it was several times too many. In the end I soldered a wire directly on to the Indicator Bulb Holder and wired this direct to an Earth point within the Lamp Unit which isn't part of the Lamp Earth system the way Alfa designed it, or perhaps more accurately, slung it together. Brilliant, worked faultlessly for over a year - until yesterday.

Here we go again. Out yesterday morning, worked fine at first then stopped working. Got home but too wet to look at it. Went out in the evening, didn't work at first but then started working, and then stopped again. Aaaargh.

I'm hoping that it may just be corroded contacts on the Bulb but this may be just wishful thinking. If it ever stops raining one day soon I may find out....... Just hope that I don't become expert again of how to dismantle, refit, dismantle, refit GTV Lamp Clusters again, I'll let you know.

As an aside had a problem with the Wipers a few weeks ago, again intermittent operation. This turned out, not unexpectedly, to be poor connections on the Fuse Board, hate these Ceramic Fuses. Wonder if there is such a thing as a direct replacement Blade Fuse type ? More wishful thinking !

KevJTD

Re: GTV6 Rear Indicator.

Post by KevJTD »

a lot of problems with bulbs being a bit temperamental with cars of this age can be caused by bad connection between the side of the bulb and the bulb holder, where it relies on a good contact to make the earth.

you could try crushing the sides in a bit with pliers, to make the holder more oval in shape.

failing that wrap the sides of the bulb in some tin foil type material, fag paper stuff, that makes a great conductor when the bulb is twisted back in. just be sure not to put it too low and bridge across to the power supply contacts :D
Giulietta JTD 170
Lancia Delta integrale
Lancia Flavia coupe 1.8 1963
Lancia Dedra turbo
Renault Clio 197 RS

I'm bad with people things
But I should have tried more

Nige005

Post by Nige005 »

KevJTD wrote:a lot of problems with bulbs being a bit temperamental with cars of this age can be caused by bad connection between the side of the bulb and the bulb holder, where it relies on a good contact to make the earth.

you could try crushing the sides in a bit with pliers, to make the holder more oval in shape.

failing that wrap the sides of the bulb in some tin foil type material, fag paper stuff, that makes a great conductor when the bulb is twisted back in. just be sure not to put it too low and bridge across to the power supply contacts :D

" Crimped " the Holder last time Kev, one of the first things I did. I also jammed a paper clip into the sides of the Bulb between the Holder to see if that would do it and it didn't.

The second thing I did was to build up the 12 Volts connection on the Bulb with solder, this has worked on many occasions in the past but not that time. Even put solder all around the side of the bulb to ensure a good Earth connection and a good tight fit, which I'm sure we all like.... !

It seemed to be an Earth problem but every time I checked it all seemed well, until you put the Bulb back in after checking with the DMM. Linked a lot of wires, 12 Volts direct to the Bulb itself, an Earth connection from the other Light Unit and even linked the other rear indicator supply to it ( that was fun, front and side indicators on the O/S and the rear N/S flashing nicely together ! ) and so on and so on, very difficult to pin down what the actual problem was as just about everything I did made things work - until I put it all back together !

If it ever looks like staying dry for more than half an hour I'll try it all again.

Nige005

Post by Nige005 »

Looked at the problem yesterday and it went much as I expected.

Before starting I checked and it wasn't working. Removed the Lens and tried again and surprise surprise - all working. No amount of banging, pushing, pulling, waggling or cursing could bring the fault back on. Reseated the offending Bulb but as it was already clean and nice and tight don't think that this would have done anything. One thing I did discover, which I had forgotten, is that the extra Earth I fitted last year I had soldered directly onto the Bulb itself so I think I can discount an Earth problem at least - well perhaps !

So, all working but NFF ( No Fault Found ). Doesn't inspire much confidence.

sparkplug155

Post by sparkplug155 »

Is it still working Nige?

I had the same issues with the T/S a few years ago. Spent the odd hour every week trying to find the fault that only came up when you weren't looking. Finally swapped the bulb and never had the problem again. :?:
Mike
Junior Zagato (Red)
75 V6 (Red)
75 T/S Veloce (Red)
Giulietta QV (Red)

Nige005

Post by Nige005 »

sparkplug155 wrote:Is it still working Nige?

I had the same issues with the T/S a few years ago. Spent the odd hour every week trying to find the fault that only came up when you weren't looking. Finally swapped the bulb and never had the problem again. :?:

Was still working a few days ago Mike, even after navigating the floods surrounding the Jenny Wren !

Your solution seems very strange but if it plays up again I'll change the bulb just to see if it makes any difference.

Ideally I think I'd quite like to change the Printed Circuit Board that carries all the Bulb Holders, even though, apart from the slightly dodgy Edge Connector, I can't see anything wrong with it. Snag is that these don't seem easy to find and the ones that do come up require a re mortgage of the house !

PS. When you were leaving the JW I noticed that the one of the Headlights on your Zagato wasn't working, intended to flag you down but you sneaked out of the other exit ! Assume that you found this and have duly done the business by now.

sparkplug155

Post by sparkplug155 »

Nige005 wrote:
sparkplug155 wrote:Is it still working Nige?

PS. When you were leaving the JW I noticed that the one of the Headlights on your Zagato wasn't working, intended to flag you down but you sneaked out of the other exit ! Assume that you found this and have duly done the business by now.
Yes I went to pick Debbie up just down the road at her friends. Rob saw me stopped and told me.

Next day I took the plexiglass cover off that side and then removed the headlight but not before turning one of the adjusting screws about 6 turns!!. Found bulb to be okay. Then remembered I had been fiddling around the fuse box trying to solve the mystery of the non working reversing lights the day before Jenny Wren. Found a wire off the fused supply to N/S dipped headlight.
Mike
Junior Zagato (Red)
75 V6 (Red)
75 T/S Veloce (Red)
Giulietta QV (Red)

Nige005

Post by Nige005 »

I'm guessing that the car also has the ceramic fuses so more fun to come I suspect !

Maybe a trip to BLS for re alignment soon then, or if the Headlights are as useless as the Alfetta, there isn't much point in bothering !