Return of Steve5M and the GTV6

STEVE5M

Return of Steve5M and the GTV6

Post by STEVE5M »

A big hello to everyone!

I’ve been away for a while. I still have the same GTV6 but I sold the Sud Sprint some time ago. During COVID I took the GTV6 off the road and it was unused for quite a while. When I came to fire it up again it was knackered. It went off to AJM for the summer and he sorted out a catalogue of problems. It has returned in very good shape and I’m using it as my daily drive (when I’m not in the van!)

The work I had done came at a price so I now have to maintain the car myself. You all know way more than me so I may be asking basic questions for which I apologise in advance. I have already tightened the front bearings, fixed the wiper jets/pump and today I spent a good few hours getting all the lights working.

I plan to order new LHD outer lights from EB Spares but I’m wondering if I can switch to LED light bulbs and what, if any, conversion would be needed to do it. Has anyone gone down this (well lit) road?.

My 2nd gear is a getting a bit crunchy so I’m thinking that in the future I’ll need a gearbox overhaul/rebuild. Again, does anyone have contacts and any idea of a ballpark figure for budgeting?

Finally, the passenger elec window stopped working a short while after the car came home. Does it have a fuse or relay? I’d like to try that before the door card comes off.

I’m grateful for any replies and suggestions.

All the best,
Steve
Had: 1974 Alfasud 5M, 1989 Alfasud Sprint 1.5QV,
Got: 1986 Alfetta GTV6
Want: Alfasud 5M, S1 Alfasud1.2 or 1.3Ti

alfadave

Re: Return of Steve5M and the GTV6

Post by alfadave »

Welcome back Steve.

For LED bulbs have a read of "A worthwhile mod" on P2 of the Sud section.
For crunchy gears, learn to double de clutch
For elec window fuses/relays look at your wiring diagram......or ask Alex!!

STEVE5M

Post by STEVE5M »

Hi Dave!

After a few Alfas I thought I knew how to do DDC! 😀. It is getting worse, though. I’m going to focus hard on those changes!

As for fuses. Nothing is mentioned in the Haynes manual and I can’t read wiring diagrams. I’m hoping for a pointer….

Cheers!

S.
Had: 1974 Alfasud 5M, 1989 Alfasud Sprint 1.5QV,
Got: 1986 Alfetta GTV6
Want: Alfasud 5M, S1 Alfasud1.2 or 1.3Ti

KevJTD

Post by KevJTD »

Be aware if changing to LED or HID bulbs for the headlamps it is now an MoT failure if the headlight units were not originally designed for those bulbs...From the manual..

"Existing halogen headlamp units on vehicles first used on or after 1 April 1986 must not be converted to be used with high intensity discharge (HID) or light emitting diode (LED) bulbs. If such a conversion has been done, you must fail the headlamp for light source and lamp not compatible.

This does not refer to complete replacement headlamp units which may be constructed with HID or LED light sources.

If a complete headlamp unit has been replaced with a unit that was manufactured with HID or LED light sources, it must not be failed for ‘Light source and lamp not compatible’ but it must meet all other requirements detailed in section 4 of this manual specific to the type fitted at the time of test."
Giulietta JTD 170
Lancia Delta integrale
Lancia Flavia coupe 1.8 1963
Lancia Dedra turbo
Renault Clio 197 RS

I'm bad with people things
But I should have tried more

Spacenut

Post by Spacenut »

That was going to be my point as well. Replacement LED or HID bulbs are not legal in the UK, but complete assemblies (lens/reflector) are. Unfortunately, although there are plenty of alternatives available for LHD/RH dip markets (mostly in the US), RHD/LH dip assemblies appear to be limited to 7" circular lamps which were OEM to Land Rover. I haven't found a 5.75" circular lamp yet, apart from on scooter websites :?

I am not sure what modifications might be necessary to get a universal 5.75" lens/reflector unit to fit the GTV6, but they are available for sealed beam (yuk) and halogen applications, some with proper glass lenses...

Lauren

alfadave

Post by alfadave »

Steve,
Just use the van at night!

Alfaoldgit

Post by Alfaoldgit »

Hi Steve,

Can't comment on lights but I can on the gearbox. If you are still on the original gloopy 80/90 gearbox oil, get rid of it and refill with Mobilube SHC 75/90 synthetic. You will need to order off the Internet, your local Mobil/Esso garage is unlikely to stock it. You should gain some immediate improvement. Be aware that the SHC has a vile odour and you really need to wear Nitrile gloves and some safety specs. I've been running my GTV6 on it since 1987 when SHC was considered to be cutting edge and was priced accordingly.

As for gear box repair, well I don't claim to be an expert but I do have ALL the special tools..... If you want more info, happy to provide on here or PM but don't want to come across as tooting my trumpet.

AOG
Had: Sud Ti, GC, Sprint Veloce 1.5
Have: 159SW, 164QV, 156GTA SW, GTV6
Projects: Brera 2.4, Sprint Veloce 1.5