Performance stuff....

Veesix75

Performance stuff....

Post by Veesix75 »

It's quiet in here but you never know. I'm starting to think about brakes and other stuff for my 75 rebuild (ages away but tme to plan an collect bits up). It's going to be a road car not track.

Brake upgrade....fronts probably easy, but rears - anyone come across an outboard rear brake conversion ? I'm sure I saw a 75 race car with outboard rears .

Gearbox, anyone driven a 3 litre with a 2 litre gearbox ? I have a 2 litre box and I'm considering fitting it for a closer ratio.

Gearbox short shift - any ideas ?

Supercharger - might ring Roger Evans as I know he has fitted them to 24 valves, but anyone fitted one to a 12v or driven one ?

Exhaust - that's easy, I'll see Shrew !

I recently picked up some super cheap heads and re-profiled cams, fast road and about 220bhp claimed, so that might be enough for a 1000kg road car ?

PETROLHEAD

Re: Performance stuff....

Post by PETROLHEAD »

220bhp/ton?

Naah! Dont be silly Tim! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Instead of supercharging, why not Turbo?

Probably cheaper, greater choice, and more flexible and futureproof as far as options for higher hp go if you want it.

My two penneth anyway mate

ooh, whilst i remember, do you need a pair of front wings Tim?

call me if you do chap ;)
SHREW

I AM the Law!

Alfasud 1.7-16v, Charade Turbo SR, & The Dirty Diesels - GT Cloverleaf, 159 Ti Sportwagon, Saab 9-3 Sportwagon

Veesix75

Post by Veesix75 »

Just checked, it's 1150kg, a bit more lard than I remembered.

I don't need wings thanks Shrew, it has the veloce kit and wide front arches.

I don't want monster power, 250bhp would probably be enough. I assumed a supercharger is less stress and power from lower revs ?

PETROLHEAD

Post by PETROLHEAD »

Yes, but also parasitic, so limiting on peak power, and you have to chose very wisely which blower to use.

Get the characteristics wrong and you have a choice of a few pulley and belt changes to correct it to get the performance you want from it, turbo on the other hand is a broader spectrum to chose from and more flexible in their tuning.

Turbo a 3.0 12v, 185bhp motor, and you'll see 250bhp very easily in my opinion, and within reasonable safety too if set up correctly.

Go nicely on a small bi-turbo set up Tim, get the ball rolling from early revs?
SHREW

I AM the Law!

Alfasud 1.7-16v, Charade Turbo SR, & The Dirty Diesels - GT Cloverleaf, 159 Ti Sportwagon, Saab 9-3 Sportwagon

Veesix75

Post by Veesix75 »

Like this ? Or do you mean a bi turbo with a small one at low revs and a bigger one to take over ?
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (26.43 KiB) Viewed 19883 times

PETROLHEAD

Post by PETROLHEAD »

The staged turbo was my angle Tim, but two small parallel turbos would work well too imo.

Never held my 300zx tt back from 350 hp on stock turbos, and they were rather puny!

We tuned for more, but they start getting heatsoaked and the figures go backwards if you're not careful, so we settled at a safe set up.
SHREW

I AM the Law!

Veesix75

Post by Veesix75 »

Here's hoping as I've bought those in the pic.

God knows whether I'll ever use them but we'll see .

Kegsti66

Post by Kegsti66 »

This is sounding good boys :o

PETROLHEAD

Post by PETROLHEAD »

What are they Tim, and where or what from?
SHREW

I AM the Law!

Veesix75

Post by Veesix75 »

Fitted to a 75 v6, no idea of make, took a punt unseen and didn't ask.

Veesix75

Post by Veesix75 »

The Turbos turned up, still not sure if I'll ever use them but worth a punt for the price.

It's a pair of MHI TD04's slight repair on one where the release valve thingy fastens on but looks fine. However common enough from a quick search online irrespective.

Came with heat jackets, manifolds, down pipes so a lot still needed to make any of it work.

Hopefully the 75 will see some bodywork this year :D so when that starts I'll think about these a bit more.

PETROLHEAD

Post by PETROLHEAD »

Good choice (or lucky gamble!) the Tdo4 turbo's.

Standard on all the uk classic impreza wrx spec, and bucket loads of them get swapped out for the sti or jap spec td05 or vf range etc, so very available and very well known.

Good turbo anyway, very likely the choice of unit for me at some point.

The smaller ones spool up very nicely, and a twin set up could make some big power Tim!

Good buy mate! :P
SHREW

I AM the Law!

Veesix75

Post by Veesix75 »

Need some of these next......
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

PETROLHEAD

Post by PETROLHEAD »

I've got some 4 pot willwoods :D

but they're currently set up as big front 33 brakes :cry:
SHREW

I AM the Law!

justsuds

Post by justsuds »

Be careful of going too powerful on the rear brakes !
John.

Veesix75

Post by Veesix75 »

The main aim is to never again lay underneath it just to change those puny pads.

Ted27sud

Post by Ted27sud »

Just stumbled across this thread which is interesting as I spent last Saturday at Bedford Autodrome with an Alfa 75 fitted with a 3.2 litre 24 valve GTA engine. This is a professional conversion with a Twin Spark gearbox and LSD which is perfectly suited for fast road and track work as you'd expect with 250BHP and loads and loads of torque. Chassis wise it has lots (lots!) of SZ stuff in it - front upper arms, coil overs, de dion bush, rose jointed watts linkage, heavy springs (800lbs front) adjustable shocks, etc, etc. BUT the one thing that hadn't been upgraded (yet!) were the brakes, which were terrifying! The standard 75 brakes couldn't stand the speed or heat and scarily a rear disc actually sheared at the hub which wasn't expected!
The plan is to fit 4 pot Brembo calipers and discs at the front from an Alfa 166 and outboard rear discs - 4 pot again but retaining the inner caliper just for the handbrake. This fits into the owners parts plan and engineering skills!

As a car, it is fantastic (current brakes aside) with endless power and really balanced handling - superb in fact - throttle adjustable and effortless. Performance wise it is easily quicker in a straight line than late 2008 to early 2013's BMW M3s.
So much so that I've asked for a copy to be built for me around my 75 but with an available 3.0 litre 24 valve engine. I'll let you know how it comes together. Mine will be slightly more 'roadable' with full interior, etc as I want a Q car!!

Should be fun!

Ted

Veesix75

Post by Veesix75 »

That sounds awesome Ted, thanks for sharing.

I'm a bit torn on what to do still, as I want it to remain largely standard looking, full original interior (rainbow fleck velour !!) etc, but more power / fast road. I also wanted to retain the 12v Busso for originality and it looks so good sat in the engine bay.

However the out of the box power of the 3.2, coupled with the weight gives the performance you quote below straight away. Interesting to hear it it was quicker than the V8 M3 as a package.

I've got a twinspark box, but I assume the one you describe had an aftermarket LSD fitted ?

Think mine will be longer burn, but possibly some movement pending.

Ted27sud

Post by Ted27sud »

Veesix75, I'm going the same route as you: Standard interior and looking standard 75 TS exterior with only wheels as the give away to what is underneath. In fairness, the M3 were the last of the straight six ones (2012?) not the V8s which are substantially faster in a straight line. The LSD was standard Twin Spark but rebuilt and fresh (I broke his last one!)

What I am looking for now is a 75 V6 prop and in line (RWD) Busso V6 sump. I have the big disks and bells but will be looking for SZ bits as well.

If you have anything which could help me or know anyone, can you let me know please?

Cheers,

Ted

Veesix75

Post by Veesix75 »

All of the E9x M3's have the V8 engine, produced from 2007 to about 2013/14 I think.

The E46 M3 is the S54 straight 6, from 2001 to 2005/6. Even so this M3 is c340bhp and still quick enough for its time.

Irrespective , sounds very impressive. :D