Spring Alfa Day

Forums are great, but lets get together for a natter, a show, or a race or two!
STEVE5M

Spring Alfa Day

Post by STEVE5M »

My first. I don't know what the others think but it looked a good turnout to me. I met some more CAF regulars and had a really good chat with dralf and kegs.

A few photos and a competition.

Q. name the cleanest engine bay......EVER! (Hint. I'm not borrowing a toothbrush at Keith's place! :lol: )

Also, FGO 501X, the subject of a post a little while ago appeared.......and then disappeared....but not before I papped it! :mrgreen:
DSC09941s.jpg
DSC09949s.JPG
DSC09965s.JPG
DSC09963s.JPG
DSC09967s.JPG
Ciao,
Steve
Had: 1974 Alfasud 5M, 1989 Alfasud Sprint 1.5QV,
Got: 1986 Alfetta GTV6
Want: Alfasud 5M, S1 Alfasud1.2 or 1.3Ti

Kegsti66

Re: Spring Alfa Day

Post by Kegsti66 »

STEVE5M wrote:My first. I don't know what the others think but it looked a good turnout to me.

Also, FGO 501X, the subject of a post a little while ago appeared.......and then disappeared....but not before I papped it! :mrgreen:

Ciao,
Steve

:lol: I do have a few spare tooth brushes !!

It was a very good turn out and hopefully FGO 501X will join us all soon as I had a chat with him and gave him a flyer, well I gave a few out actually, including a guy restoring the John Dooley Napolina racing Sud.

Good to meet Steve and Nick, among others and the old girl behaved herself on a round trip of 261 miles.
I will put up some photos later when I have loaded them on the 'pute. :D

Spacenut

Post by Spacenut »

I've got to admit your car was #1 for me, with the (identical orange-red) B&W Garage Alfa Montreal a close second!

Did anyone spot the silver 4-door Series 2 a little further along the same row?

I was talking to John Griffiths at the end of the day and he said that there were 600 cars there in total (and 900 ticket sales, but quite a few cars had more than one club member on board). I managed to catch up with quite a few people who I haven't seen for ages, but clearly I missed a lot of you too!

I really enjoyed the day, certainly makes a change from grinding fibreglass dust!

Auto Italia in 2 weeks time...

Lauren

Edit - darn it, was the silver car your 5M Steve? Pretty much everything else I saw was a Ti...

STEVE5M

Post by STEVE5M »

Lauren, no it wasn't mine. I'm sud-less at the moment. I took my red GTV6. It was parked behind Keith near the monorail. I'm chuffed to see it popping up in several posts on the aroc fb page!

Agreed, it was lovely to catch up with people
Had: 1974 Alfasud 5M, 1989 Alfasud Sprint 1.5QV,
Got: 1986 Alfetta GTV6
Want: Alfasud 5M, S1 Alfasud1.2 or 1.3Ti

Kegsti66

Post by Kegsti66 »

Sorry I missed you Lauren, I was hoping to put another face to a name.
Thanks for the kind words, here we go with a few of my pics.
Attachments
20160417_114700.jpg
20160417_114709.jpg
20160417_115851.jpg
20160417_122850.jpg
20160417_122959.jpg

Kegsti66

Post by Kegsti66 »

A selection of boxers, including all three series of 33 Sportwagon.
Attachments
20160417_113545.jpg
20160417_115212.jpg
20160417_123609.jpg
20160417_124746.jpg
20160417_124810.jpg

Kegsti66

Post by Kegsti66 »

And some more.
Attachments
20160417_113719.jpg
20160417_113747.jpg
20160417_135743.jpg
20160417_160901.jpg
20160417_115537.jpg

DucatiRider

Post by DucatiRider »

Kegsti66 wrote:
STEVE5M wrote:My first. I don't know what the others think but it looked a good turnout to me.

Ciao,
Steve

Hello FGO 501X here - good to meet you yesterday, it was a good turn out - would def be up for getting together with other sud owners for future events

:lol: I do have a few spare tooth brushes !!

It was a very good turn out and hopefully FGO 501X will join us all soon as I had a chat with him and gave him a flyer, well I gave a few out actually, including a guy restoring the John Dooley Napolina racing Sud.

Good to meet Steve and Nick, among others and the old girl behaved herself on a round trip of 261 miles.
I will put up some photos later when I have loaded them on the 'pute. :D

DucatiRider

Post by DucatiRider »

FGO 501X here - seems i joined the site a while back to follow the resto of a Series1 Ti I owned in the 90's - MNJ 11P now owned by Vecchioalfa - anyone know how the car is getting on?

Spring Alfa day was a good day out - great to meet fellow Sud owners, some super examples out there.

Hope to see you guys again soon.

Cheers.
Stefan

Kegsti66

Post by Kegsti66 »

Nice one Stefan,
So you were already a member !
It was a good turn out and we have NAD and MITCAR this year to get our Suds together if possible.
Is the silver Super I photo'd anyone on here?

Sud 145

Post by Sud 145 »

The silver Sud belongs to a guy named Richard who lives not far from me in Horley (Gatwick). We've bumped into one another at some local shows over the last couple of years.

Kegsti66

Post by Kegsti66 »

Looked a really nice, honest car.

Kermit

Post by Kermit »

Hi Guy's, me and "number one son" ( I call him that as he IS the only one :D ) I did make it there (in the 75)
The funny part was we were directed to the area with the 33's and she is in one of the photos (behind the series 2 red sports wagon that at 2.00 pm failed to run on all cylinders !
There was Alex (33 bits) and Al (there where others but sorry I don't know your names) stripping the air box and trying to adjust the carbs.
Hence to say we went around again.
We thought the "top gear" experience was mostly good and even went on the nature trail.

The main problem for me was that there was NO MODEL PARKING :twisted: , the suds that were there were all over the place !and the same for any model.
Surely the idea is to get like minded people to meet each other and find others with the same models.
Sorry but I found it hard to find anyone with their cars.
And to make things worst, Peter at alfasud parts told me trying to find a rubber seal for a nearside rear brake / indicator light is "very rare as they turn to powder" didn't cheer me up.

The white 33 P4 however is well on track so am at least happy there :)

Kegsti66

Post by Kegsti66 »

Hi "H",
Did you toot and pass me on the A34 as I was turning off at Sutton Scotney?
I turned off to take a more scenic route and as I got on the slip road I heard a horn toot and looked right to see a gun metal grey 75 pass. Only got a quick glance but wondered if it may have been you.
Plucking at straws really as yours is the only one I know. :lol:
Attachments
20160417_115430.jpg

Kermit

Post by Kermit »

Kegsti66 wrote:Hi "H",
Did you toot and pass me on the A34 as I was turning off at Sutton Scotney?
I turned off to take a more scenic route and as I got on the slip road I heard a horn toot and looked right to see a gun metal grey 75 pass. Only got a quick glance but wondered if it may have been you.
Plucking at straws really as yours is the only one I know. :lol:

Yep that was me :D
Guess I was going so fast you couldn't see me !
Did have a "slight" race with the red 8c at one point, not sure who really had the best exhaust note :!:

You looked really busy all day so couldn't really barge in, nice to see so many people asking you questions though - sure one or two must have asked you the selling price ??

Spacenut

Post by Spacenut »

Spring Alfa Day 2016
A lovely bright, sunny Sunday morning in April, it would have been rude not to :D

Beaulieu isn't that far from me and having co-opted my friend Sean into driving duties we duly arrived at the site pretty much bang on opening time. Because I was travelling light I thought better of bringing the Praktica and instead ran a roll of colour film through my newly-acquired 1970 Olympus 35 RC compact (my first, and so far only ebay auction win, a steal at £22). I must admit I was dreading seeing the result as I had duplicated the settings from Wheels Day (aperture priority auto exposure, 1/60th shutter speed), which were somewhat over-exposed on black and white film. I was actually amazed when I got the pictures back from the developers last week – pin-sharp focus, great DoF, excellent colour saturation. No wonder the pro-street (photographers) rave about it. Here's a selection...

Familiar nose... too easy for the Puzzle Post, methinks!

Junior Zagato has the wow factor. The camera is shooting wide open at F/22, I would never have thought of doing this with the Praktica...

Andrew WA's gold Giulia. He works for Classic Alfa I believe, I often see him (or more accurately, his car) at Goodwood events. Looks superb on Momo alloys.

Ian Ellis step-front racer replica. It must be a replica, I can't see any evidence that it was driven, let alone raced. Aftermarket 15” versions of Campags superb GTA wheel, if only they were available in 7x15 with a 16mm offset... Oh well, I have the Compos now :D

Keith's Alfasud. What a superb machine! Sorry I missed you on the day...

...Unless that is you glowering at me!

Super Sud! Sud Super was super!

Nik's Green Sud. Only ever seen in photos prior to this, sadly I never got to meet him :(

Dralf and Nik...

...There was more of course, 3 Montreals, more 4C's than you could shake a stick at, lots of moderns, some familiar faces from Goodwood and Surrey sections... This was the first AROC show I have been to since the Nova came off the road, so it was great to catch up (and explain why I haven't been around for 4 years!).

As we had paid full price for entry to the site (an eye-watering £24), we stuck it out to the bitter end, taking in the somewhat faded Top Gear Experience and the museum before being summarily ejected by the museum staff at 5:00pm. I took one or two snaps in the museum, but this is the one that really caught my eye...

Choptastic! It's a proper English chopper dating from 1972, with an Ariel square four, no less! And those vertical pipes running up the back of the sissy bar? Yes, they are exhaust pipes!

Sorry the pictures are a bit late. This is what happens when you go old skool... 'Til next time,

Lauren

Kegsti66

Post by Kegsti66 »

Hi Lauren,
Great photos, and very arty angles. The gold Giulia does look fantastic, here I go again with my bright colours.
Really embarrassed to say that is me in the photo, sorry for looking so angry. I do smile, honest. :D
Funny you also photographed the chopper. We all move in the same circles don't we. Bit like the film "Sliding Doors" :shock:
Never been to the museum before and blown away by Bluebird and the other speeders.
Thanks.
Attachments
20160417_144056.jpg

Spacenut

Post by Spacenut »

Well, as long as you aren't smiling I should be able to recognise you next time, lol :lol:

Great minds quite clearly think alike! I also took a snap of "Bruce Springsteen", the Top Gear penalty bike from the Vietnam special. I've always liked the Honda Monkey Bike :D

Lauren

Alfasixnut

Post by Alfasixnut »

Excellent selection of photographs Lauren - many thanks for posting.
Re the Aerial square four - does it have 4 front exhausts and two rear exhausts?

Spacenut

Post by Spacenut »

Do you know, I have no idea!

I assumed it was a crossflow head with intakes at the back and exhausts on the front, but other than the cylinder layout I know nothing more :oops:

I shall have a Google later...

Alfasixnut

Post by Alfasixnut »

Spacenut wrote:Do you know, I have no idea!

I assumed it was a crossflow head with intakes at the back and exhausts on the front, but other than the cylinder layout I know nothing more :oops:

I shall have a Google later...
Well, having got over the shock that you had not spotted that Lauren, I have googled and the plot thickens - perhaps this needs to be in the puzzle post?? Or does Shrew know?
Anyway the intakes (very inefficient) are in the centre of the "four" - and there are four exhausts in the outer corners, all leading forward and down, perhaps the customiser had split the front two pipes into four, for the effect? And are the two rear pipes split into twin silencers below/behind the seat?

Spacenut

Post by Spacenut »

Alfasixnut wrote:Well, having got over the shock that you had not spotted that Lauren
What can I say? I like motorbikes, I never said I knew anything about them :)

But I agree, there does seem to be a surfeit of exhaust pipes!

Kegsti66

Post by Kegsti66 »

What about this one?
Attachments
2byfour-733610.jpg

Spacenut

Post by Spacenut »

Wow, that is a neat piece of work. I really like the idea of putting engines together like this. BRM H16 (two V8s with meshed crankshaft), Wolfrace Sonic (parallel computer controlled Rover V8s with double differential back axle), Sbarro Bugatti Royale V16 (coupled Rover V8s), the original Sbarro Super Twelve (coupled Kawasaki ZZR 6-cylinder engines), the list goes on. I guess my favourite concept is the Cizeta Moroder V16T, with two transverse V8 engines coupled together into a longitudinal central transaxle (hence the "T" suffix). Of course it you wanted to be less obviously ostentatious you could use a pair of V4 engines (Fulvias perhaps?) and a back-to-front differential driving the in-line transaxle. You could call it the Lancia V8T :D

Kegsti66

Post by Kegsti66 »

Now there is a blast from the past.
Wasn't the designer head hunted from Lamboghini ? Hence the profile looking quite a bit like a Diablo.

Remember the Sbarro Super twelve in Street Machine magazine with the pair of Kwak engines.
Attachments
Cizeta 1.jpg
Cizeta 1.jpg (11.87 KiB) Viewed 14690 times
cizeta 2.jpg
cizeta 2.jpg (9.3 KiB) Viewed 14690 times

Spacenut

Post by Spacenut »

Oh yes! Now THAT is what I call an engine!

Yes, Marcello Gandini styled the Cizeta. The story goes that he penned the Diablo as well, but Chrysler's West Coast styling department twiddled with it, so the final result is less angular than the Moroder. Even so, Gandini was quite happy to have his name on the side of both - after all, there's no such thing as bad publicity :lol:

Apparently the Cizeta moniker comes from the manufacturer's initials (CZ) and Georgio Moroder was the principal financier of the project. But that engine is so cool, the most outrageous piece of engineering since Lamborghini plonked their V12 back-to-front into the Countach 20 years earlier...

Lauren

PETROLHEAD

Post by PETROLHEAD »

Hi all

there doesn't appear to be a thread started for the 2017 spring alfa day, so tagging onto this seems as good an idea as any.

I have to say, that in itself is probably a tiny reflection in the sort of meeting this year was.

If i'm honest, i'd have to say i was (almost) a little disappointed, which actually sounds rather overly critical reading it back as i write it, but for a meet organised by the likes of AROC, i thought it might well have been a dealer forecourt! :o Sorry

I photographed pretty much all the classic stuff there, maybe missed a sprint, a 90 and a 75 whilst i was there, and the couple of 33's i'd spotted early on escaped too soon for me, but it was essentially a field of brera's, gt's, 159's, 156's etc, but i did enjoy a glance over the new Giulia.

Apologies again if i sound ungrateful or similar, but if it wasn't for the excellent hosting Yorkshire Wildlife Park, where we had a brilliant and highly recommended time, i would have not put down this day as one to remember really. Considering the lovely weather, i expected a bit more up my street, but anyway, here's the shots i got of the interesting stuff! :D

DSC_0327.JPG
DSC_0328.JPG
DSC_0329.JPG
DSC_0331.JPG
SHREW

I AM the Law!

Alfasud 1.7-16v, Charade Turbo SR, & The Dirty Diesels - GT Cloverleaf, 159 Ti Sportwagon, Saab 9-3 Sportwagon

Kegsti66

Post by Kegsti66 »

Oh dear !
Classics did look a bit thin on the ground mate. Sorry I couldn't get up to this one. Good to see some old favourites though.
I recently had my first good look at a Giulia and have to say, in the metal I thought it looked fantastic. Fitted with the Lusso package the interior was beautiful. :mrgreen:

Johnboy

Post by Johnboy »

Hi peeps

Looks like i missed a great day at Beaulieu. Cracking spots 8-)