Auto Italia Brooklands 2019

Forums are great, but lets get together for a natter, a show, or a race or two!
Spacenut

Auto Italia Brooklands 2019

Post by Spacenut »

I promised myself that this would be the last Auto Italia event I went to on the train, but I’ve made such promises before. Anyway, having missed two connections at Woking I managed to get on-site by 10:00 am, which wasn’t so bad, although the majority of the cars that normally queue at the Campbell gate all the way back to Brooklands Road were gone by then.

So – what did I see? The first thing that caught my eye was a pair of Alfetta GT racers, courtesy of Alex Jupe – the Telefunken one was my favourite…

...But the Marlbro liveried one was just as nice…

Moving on, I spied this great looking Trofeo Alfasud, belonging to none other than Ted Pearson!

He’d brought the car all the way down South just to participate in the parade laps around the adjacent Mercedes-Benz World site…

...Which if you haven’t seen it before is a wiggly loop of track built on the flattest part of the old Brooklands airfield. More often than not one of the modern supercars ends up in the kitty litter so most of the time the participants tootle around behind some enormous GL500 pace car, so I haven’t bothered to go over there for the last few years. But Ted – thank you for making the effort, and making my day!

Ted tells me that this car is a 1974 model, with all the correct Autodelta kit. Abso-bloody-lutely fantastic!

It was hard work tearing myself away from the Trofeo Sud, but the temperature was dropping and the skies were threatening, so I headed off to see more sights…

...Like this ISO Rivolta race car, a regular on the historic racing circuit. Also with a hint of racing pedigree was this…

Now, I know what you’re thinking – I thought so too, at first. But closer inspection revealed that it was in fact a 206 Dino replica, built on the frame of a 1971 Dino road car. Anyway, it was really nicely done, and not a hint of small-block Chevy V8 that usually ends up in the back of P4 replicas.

Another regular visitor to Auto Italia is this rare Lamborghini Islero…

...And this equally nice Series 2 Espada…

Moving slightly down-market, this mildly modified Fiat 128 3P caught my eye…

...And the sheer breadth of the Fiat 130 coupe always impresses…

Moving back down the banking, I found this really nice early (non-hatch) version of the 128…

...And at the other end of the luxury scale, this Maserati Quattroporte…

Now, this is one for the Puzzle Post I guess. Any ideas?

I expect you’ll get it in no time. I didn’t set out to make a puzzle picture, it just looked so good from this angle.

Now, I’m not a big fan of modern bikes, but this Ducati really stood out – I just love that 1970s cafe-racer look…

...This MV Agusta is more my era, although everyone else seemed to be looking at the matte-black monstrosity in the background!

Home straight now. Here’s an ISO Lele…

10 points if you correctly identified the De Tomaso Deauville in the background (you did, didn’t you?). And speaking of De Tomasos, here’s the fabulous Mangusta with its gull-wing engine covers open…

So that was the end of my colour roll. I shot a roll of black & white as well, but it is going to be a bit longer before that gets processed. There was a nice Alfasud L and a Sprint lurking amongst the sea of modern Alfas in the Heights car park, and a small selection of early Giuliettas (including an SS) in a secluded corner. By 2:00 PM the sleet had started to fall, and the rain showers became more frequent as the Test Hill closed for the day, so it was time to head home. All-in-all, it was worth going just to see Ted’s Trofeo Sud, and meet the man himself. I returned home with renewed enthusiasm – next time I am hoping there will be a flash of green amongst that sea of red Alfas…

Lauren

junior

Re: Auto Italia Brooklands 2019

Post by junior »

Some great shots there, well done Lauren. I am with you on the MV Agusta , those sand cast crankcases and such carefully engineered parts make it a winner.

Had not realised how much bigger the boot lip was on the Trofero Sud till i saw your shot of it. Thanks ! :D

Kegsti66

Post by Kegsti66 »

Cracking photos Lauren, thanks for putting them up.
Once again an event I have still to experience.
Funny, the red and black Fiat 128 is on my work mates calendar, think it was last months. Reminded me of what my Sud looked like when I bought it (but not in that condition).
No idea on your puzzle post but another thumbs up for the MV.

Sud 145

Post by Sud 145 »

016.JPG
Is the puzzle a little Abarth Grand Prix 1000?

Spacenut

Post by Spacenut »

Sud 145 wrote:Is the puzzle a little Abarth Grand Prix 1000?
You are most correct sir!

I believe the car in question is actually a Lombardi Grand Prix 1000, but based on Abarth mechanicals...

This one was also at Auto Italia, but is registered in Monaco. Must have been an exciting trip across Europe, these cars are absolutely tiny...

Sud 145

Post by Sud 145 »

Was the car I'd have taken home from the show I was at today. Arse on the floor driving. Lol

Kegsti66

Post by Kegsti66 »

Spacenut wrote:
Sud 145 wrote:Is the puzzle a little Abarth Grand Prix 1000?
Must have been an exciting trip across Europe, these cars are absolutely tiny...

Lovely looking car, but like you say, some of them certainly are tiny ......
Attachments
20160228_134439.jpg

Spacenut

Post by Spacenut »

Kegsti66 wrote:
Spacenut wrote:Must have been an exciting trip across Europe, these cars are absolutely tiny...

Lovely looking car, but like you say, some of them certainly are tiny ......
Puts you back in touch with what real driving is all about - I wouldn't have a modern 500 as a gift. Well, I suppose I could sell it and buy a proper Abarth :D

Mufasa

Post by Mufasa »

Ted's Suds are inspirational and aspirational
05Alfa1662.0GrigioGeo-Daily
03Alfa1561.8Sportwagon-BluCosmo
01Alfa1663.0Manual-Proteo Rosso
99Alfa1662.5V6GrigioNettuno-Track Car
84Alfasud1.5GoldCloverleafFlorentineCopper

Pete Jennings

Post by Pete Jennings »

I went in my integrale but next year I'm planning to go in my Sprint!!