What To Do ?

Whats on your mind? Alfa related or otherwise, the funnier the better!
Nige005

What To Do ?

Post by Nige005 »

Spent a little time on the '6 this last week.

Had a couple of minor electrical glitches in the last two weeks, an Alternator problem and a poor connection in the Fusebox causing the Injection System to fail, hence no start. Having sorted these out then gave the poor old dear some much needed TLC in the cleaning department, came up pretty well I think.

I've had it nearly five years now and it has been very good and have thoroughly enjoyed the experience. What is clear though is that it's not had much use in the last twelve Months and has got me thinking about the long term. Should I sell or keep ? Decisions, decisions.
Attachments
a1.jpg

Sud 145

Re: What To Do ?

Post by Sud 145 »

Bring her to the Meet in July and everyone will talk you out of selling.

Nige005

Post by Nige005 »

That's true - and I don't much persuading tbh !

If I had a garage I wouldn't even be thinking about it, it's just the thought of another Winter of it been exposed to the elements that bothers me.

Nige005

Post by Nige005 »

Well I've decided to see if there is any interest in this car so placed an ad in the Classifieds on here. Let us see.....

viewtopic.php?f=21&t=447

Johnboy

Post by Johnboy »

Powered by the dark side
Gt jtdm blackline
S2 33 cl veloce 16v sleeping
Freestyle superjet jetski

Nige005

Post by Nige005 »

Johnboy wrote:Don't do it , get one of these ;)
http://www.dancovershop.com/uk/products ... bbles.aspx
I've thought about these John and they do look as if they'd do the job. Can't get over the feeling that they'd look really naff stuck in front of my windows though.......

Mind you if that statement is true I suppose they'd match how I generally look....... :shock:

PETROLHEAD

Post by PETROLHEAD »

Never easy Nige, Never easy! :(

I have the same dilemma with my 33, but its made easier because i haven't driven it in three years anyway, whereas yours has been out n about every year to my knowledge.

If it helps, try to imagine if like me you owned it but didn't enjoy it for a few months, years maybe, and there's your storage scenario if you'd kept it.

Trouble is, the moment i know longer "own" it, i'll regret it, but i think its time the car was enjoyed, either by me or someone else with less projects on the go!

Cruel to one self to be kinder to the car, in my case anyway Nige :| :| :|
SHREW

I AM the Law!

Alfasud 1.7-16v, Charade Turbo SR, & The Dirty Diesels - GT Cloverleaf, 159 Ti Sportwagon, Saab 9-3 Sportwagon

Nige005

Post by Nige005 »

Well the car was sold last night.

This morning it's not, not too unhappy about this although I would let it go to a good home.

STEVE5M

Post by STEVE5M »

Where will the car be turning up next, Nigel? Anyone on here?
Had: 1974 Alfasud 5M, 1989 Alfasud Sprint 1.5QV,
Got: 1986 Alfetta GTV6
Want: Alfasud 5M, S1 Alfasud1.2 or 1.3Ti

KevJTD

Post by KevJTD »

Nige005 wrote:Well the car was sold last night.

This morning it's not, not too unhappy about this although I would let it go to a good home.

knowing your cryptic clues nige am i right in thinking the buyer changed their mind?
Giulietta JTD 170
Lancia Delta integrale
Lancia Flavia coupe 1.8 1963
Lancia Dedra turbo
Renault Clio 197 RS

I'm bad with people things
But I should have tried more

Nige005

Post by Nige005 »

KevJTD wrote:
Nige005 wrote:Well the car was sold last night.

knowing your cryptic clues nige am i right in thinking the buyer changed their mind?

:lol: Yes indeed Kev. He really wanted the car but his wife wasn't so keen ! So deposit returned and I'm back to where I was.

Might test the water on fleabay this weekend, maybe, perhaps. Head says yes, do it, heart says no way. Just not getting the amount of use to justify keeping it much longer, especially over the Winter Months.

My lad would love to give it a new home in sunny Cyprus but the shipping and import charges make it far too expensive to seriously consider this.

STEVE5M

Post by STEVE5M »

STEVE5M wrote:Where will the car be turning up next, Nigel? Anyone on here?
D'OH!! I really should read these things! Never mind Nigel. Go for a spin. You won't feel so bad afterwards.
Had: 1974 Alfasud 5M, 1989 Alfasud Sprint 1.5QV,
Got: 1986 Alfetta GTV6
Want: Alfasud 5M, S1 Alfasud1.2 or 1.3Ti

Spacenut

Post by Spacenut »

Nige005 wrote:My lad would love to give it a new home in sunny Cyprus but the shipping and import charges make it far too expensive to seriously consider this.
Drive it there, you know it makes sense 8-)

PETROLHEAD

Post by PETROLHEAD »

you took the words right out of my mouth lauren! :D
SHREW

I AM the Law!

Alfasud 1.7-16v, Charade Turbo SR, & The Dirty Diesels - GT Cloverleaf, 159 Ti Sportwagon, Saab 9-3 Sportwagon

KevJTD

Post by KevJTD »

Spacenut wrote:
Nige005 wrote:My lad would love to give it a new home in sunny Cyprus but the shipping and import charges make it far too expensive to seriously consider this.
Drive it there, you know it makes sense 8-)

you know, i've often wondered if that makes sense rather than pay for shipping etc?

ferry ride to mainland europe, drive to the nearest point to cyprus, ferry ride over.......no rush, take a few days, flight back, job done.

is it the import duties that go against it though?

be a great holiday, wouldn't mind riding shotgun either :D
Giulietta JTD 170
Lancia Delta integrale
Lancia Flavia coupe 1.8 1963
Lancia Dedra turbo
Renault Clio 197 RS

I'm bad with people things
But I should have tried more

Nige005

Post by Nige005 »

:lol:

Some great ideas folks !

When I was there in the RAF in the seventies lots of people did drive their cars back home, the two popular routes were ferry over to either Piraeus or Brindisi. Either route made for a great road trip back home.

I can't remember the details but it is the import duties that make importation into Cyprus a very expensive proposition. When I emigrated to Cyprus in the early nineties I took two cars with me, an Alfetta GC Saloon and a Dolomite. I managed to get the Alfa in as a duty free import, didn't cost too much but enough, and as for the hoops I had to jump through and the restrictions as to what I could do with the car...... The Dolomite cost a lot more and was a bureaucratic nightmare. Of course that was before Cyprus joined the wonderful club officially known as the EU - my name for this organization is unprintable.

Shipping costs were just over £3K, that was for a forty foot container stuffed with the contents of a four bedroom house and two cars, that was an exercise of how to squeeze a quart into a pint pot !

PETROLHEAD

Post by PETROLHEAD »

if i recall, cyprus don't like old cars, and by old i mean more than about 5 years old. Anything more and they charge astronimical amounts to import them permanently.

A mate of mine tried it with his Mitsubishi shogun, late 90's vintage, and found it cheaper to buy and import a much much newer car, or simply buy a new one there!

which of course he didn't want to do.

what does Chris know on the subject? he's been importing vehicles from uk to cyprus for years, surely he'da man!
SHREW

I AM the Law!

Nige005

Post by Nige005 »

petrolhead wrote:if i recall, cyprus don't like old cars, and by old i mean more than about 5 years old. Anything more and they charge astronimical amounts to import them permanently.

A mate of mine tried it with his Mitsubishi shogun, late 90's vintage, and found it cheaper to buy and import a much much newer car, or simply buy a new one there!

which of course he didn't want to do.

what does Chris know on the subject? he's been importing vehicles from uk to cyprus for years, surely he'da man!

What you say is what I think too Shrew, I think the Cyprus government want people to take out big bank loans to keep them going !

Cars have always been expensive in Cy, paid S£2.2k for my new 1.2 'sud ti duty free there in 1976, about the same or perhaps more than the UK duty paid price !

Spacenut

Post by Spacenut »

petrolhead wrote:if i recall, cyprus don't like old cars
That's a shame - nice climate for Alfas to retire to!

France is another country that hates old cars, or maybe it is just full of good citizens, supporting their national car maker... not something you can do here. Unless you have enough change for a Macca :roll:

Richard Oakes, the designer of the Nova and partner in the original company told me a great story about how he drove a new, factory-built car to Italy in 1974 for the boss of Ansa Marmitte, then bought a second-hand Fiat 500 and drove it back, lunching the gearbox and having to search for a replacement in Germany. Now THAT is what I call a road trip!

Lauren