Time To Get Polishing.........

Whats on your mind? Alfa related or otherwise, the funnier the better!
Nige005

Time To Get Polishing.........

Post by Nige005 »

I s'pose it's now time to get polishing, a job I really like, but not much.

In preparation for this I needed to replenish my stock of Turtle Wax Ice. Now I know that this is not really the best stuff but I like it as it's quick and easy to use but most of all because it doesn't leave white marks on the black plastics, of which the Alfetta has an abundance. Of course the aforementioned black plastics will need an application of black gloop, that's a lovely job but even worse is the knowledge that having spent hours putting this stuff on and getting covered in the stuff that in about two weeks time you'll just be back pretty much to where you started. Aaargh.

Anyway, to get back to where I sort of was, where was the best place to ( cheapest ) get the Ice from......... Trawled around the internet ( I'm willing to spend hours to save tuppence, you can take the boy out of Barnsley but.. ) Turned out that Halfords was the cheapest by a loong way, result, the nearest shop is only about three miles away. Not wishing to lash out on twenty pence of petrol before I set off on this extravagant journey thought I'd do a stock check on line. Seems that there was no stock in Boston, Spalding or Skegness. Hmm, willing to bet that this promo offer applied to one bottle in one store, probably in Ulan Bator, should have realized that it was too good to be true. Relented and bought it from eBay.

Incidentally whilst wearing me eyes out looking for this stuff I came across what seemed a very good deal at The Range, Mers Ultimate Polish for about £8. Never used any Mers stuff but have heard good things about it but after reading the specs this phrase put me off, " Does leave white deposits on black plastics which can easily be removed with warm water and a toothbrush. "

Can't afford to buy another toothbrush and as the one I have is only ten years old decided against this massive outlay.

STEVE5M

Re: Time To Get Polishing.........

Post by STEVE5M »

I'm in this position too! Got the car back last week from AJM and Alex advised me to clay bar it. This sounds like hard work. I'm going to give it a go but are there any alternatives?

On a similar note this months AROC magazine has an article on giving your car a real shine and sets out about 7 or 8 stages to achieve the ultimate shine. I think if I started today I might be finished by August. So.......does anyone here actually spend 4 or 5 hours polishing the car? :o
Had: 1974 Alfasud 5M, 1989 Alfasud Sprint 1.5QV,
Got: 1986 Alfetta GTV6
Want: Alfasud 5M, S1 Alfasud1.2 or 1.3Ti

STEVE5M

Post by STEVE5M »

And Nigel......I will get my man to pack you a couple of spare toothbrushes. In the posh South they are consumables not collectables! :lol:

Simonsud

Post by Simonsud »

I have been know to spend a few hours cleaning a car it took me two weeks of lunch times to clean my wife's saab convertible

Johnboy

Post by Johnboy »

Hi chaps
I've used a clay bar wonce ,never again ! :lol: I personally use a polishing mop .a lot easier .BUT I know what I'm doing ,you can easily ware through your paint if your not carefull ;)
Powered by the dark side
Gt jtdm blackline
S2 33 cl veloce 16v sleeping
Freestyle superjet jetski

Simonsud

Post by Simonsud »

Didn't think this site was for polishing advise but . Jet wash whole car with truck wash neat on wheels and door shuts and engine bay if it's the first time it's been done then tar and glue lower half clay bar whole car use water to lubricate machine polish any marks or scratches then polish of your choice I like Harley wash it's carnubra based and doesn't leave white marks then there's the glass and interior !!!!

Veesix75

Post by Veesix75 »

I use Mr Sheen on everything except the windscreen......99p a tin and takes 10 minutes. I do it after each wash.

No, I am not joking......

STEVE5M

Post by STEVE5M »

Oh yeh! I almost forgot.

Which air freshener should I be using?

Simonsud

Post by Simonsud »

Veesix75 wrote:I use Mr Sheen on everything except the windscreen......99p a tin and takes 10 minutes. I do it after each wash.

Good choice just worked on a Morris minor last week and the owner left a oilily rag on the wing and was impressed with the shine so now goes over the whole car with a oilily rag

KevJTD

Post by KevJTD »

the things i let you guys get away with chatting about :roll:

:D
Giulietta JTD 170
Lancia Delta integrale
Lancia Flavia coupe 1.8 1963
Lancia Dedra turbo
Renault Clio 197 RS

I'm bad with people things
But I should have tried more

Johnboy

Post by Johnboy »

Veesix75 wrote:I use Mr Sheen on everything except the windscreen......99p a tin and takes 10 minutes. I do it after each wash.

I was going to say this , but I thought you lots would think I'm takes the piss, but I was told by one of my brother in laws . This is what he uses :lol: but he says it works :shock:
Anyway no more talk of polishing from me or I'm banning myself :lol:
Powered by the dark side
Gt jtdm blackline
S2 33 cl veloce 16v sleeping
Freestyle superjet jetski

PETROLHEAD

Post by PETROLHEAD »

Ban's ahoy! ha ha!

BUT,

i'm with JB on the clay bar thing, i really don't think there is a substitute for a proper polish mop, and something like Farcela G3 Ultra, G6 Rapid.

Use dry mop and panel for compounding scratches out, or use (just) damp mop and the higher number compounds for a general all over polishing.

If you feel it still wants a glassy glaze on top, then something that dries "cakey", such as Mer, is pretty much as good as any trade offering from farcela, 3M etc, but perhaps doesn't keeps the lustre quite as long.

easy to use, and buffs off the plastic bits easily once you let it dry thoroughly.

speaking of the black plastic bits, if it were me and mine, i would mask it all off, scotchpad the surface, panel wipe, and paint with Plasbak.

its a cracking purpose made high adhesion plastic and vinyl paint, in a nice satin black finish, and suits grained and plain textured surfaces.

so long as you get the piece properly clean, no trace of former polishes and back to black type silicon based treatments, its a doddle, and you cannot get it wrong.

there, a whole outer car detail lesson in one,

i'll get me coat..........
SHREW

I AM the Law!

Alfasud 1.7-16v, Charade Turbo SR, & The Dirty Diesels - GT Cloverleaf, 159 Ti Sportwagon, Saab 9-3 Sportwagon

KevJTD

Post by KevJTD »

..............and the floodgates ae now open..................

:lol:
Giulietta JTD 170
Lancia Delta integrale
Lancia Flavia coupe 1.8 1963
Lancia Dedra turbo
Renault Clio 197 RS

I'm bad with people things
But I should have tried more

Johnboy

Post by Johnboy »

Shrew I knew you were a closet detailer :lol: :lol: