How reliable are Alfas (Stellantis) new generation of engines

Whats on your mind? Alfa related or otherwise, the funnier the better!
LooLooSud33Spider

How reliable are Alfas (Stellantis) new generation of engines

Post by LooLooSud33Spider »

Quickie for all members. I’m currently in the market for a new daily driver. So far The short list includes an Alfa Giulia.
We would like a QV but that maybe wishful thinking. (But not out of the question) The most likely choice would be a Veloce 2.0 turbo. Apparently these are a 2.0 4cyl 16v turbo. I was wondering if anyone has any experience of running one and what kind of reliability we could expect. Obviously my expertise is mainly around the 70s,80s and 90s engines and the later twin spark units.
I see this later engine can have either a DOHC set up or a SOHC unit which has a bank of valves operated via solenoids what could possibly go wrong !!!!
All thoughts and experiences welcomed.
I won’t go into to the other cars on the list for fear of being blacklisted
Lou
Alfasud Ti 1984
Alfa Spider 2.0 Ts 916
Alfa Spider 20v Turbo

Veesix75

Re: How reliable are Alfas (Stellantis) new generation of engines

Post by Veesix75 »

Hi Lou

No Giulia experience (dreaming about a QV, but that’s all it will be), only Giulietta which might be pre Stellantis?

It’s a 2013 1.4 petrol turbo, owned from 20k and now done 68k. No issues at all really, just servicing and a couple of niggles, door handle broke (more user abuse than design issue), fuel flap wouldn’t open, easy fix and a stone through the air con rad, rear light packed up due to wiring break from hatch open/close fatigue, easy fix again. One set of front discs, one battery (short journeys). That’s it.

It does 33-35 mpg around town (avg speed 17mph) and is surprisingly quick in sport mode. It is spacious inside, cruises nice and is generally a really nice and quick enough car to drive every day, motorways or whatever. Bit of torque steer in sport mode in first and second, but hey I like that !

Ours is a Sportiva so came with QV alloys and a very nice red leather interior.

LooLooSud33Spider

Thanks Tim. We’re looking at something 1-2 yrs old and really fancy a Giulia obviously I’d like to service it myself and if I can get the relevant info that doesn’t phase me. We’ve decided to let the Porsche go as it rarely get any use. We’ll be keeping the Skoda for local runs and trips to the Tip with the little trailer or moving big things
I’ll be scheduling a test drive in a Giulia QV and a Veloce in the next few weeks. I’ll let you know how i get on
Alfasud Ti 1984
Alfa Spider 2.0 Ts 916
Alfa Spider 20v Turbo

KevJTD

Post by KevJTD »

My own thoughts are in a similar vien to Tims' in that I have a Giulietta daily and have hadno dealings with the Giuila cars, either personlly or through work. So no real help there then!
Must admit I like the Giulietta enough to consider a last of line one may be a replacement when the time comes that the JTDm gives in although now on 205k and still going strong I've no idea when that might be.
TBH I'm not sold on the Giulia stying and I can't, just can't bring myself to have an auto. But I guess they are far more of an Alfa than the latest offerings. The multi-air type engines scare the hell out of me too! Valves actuated by solenoids or oil pressure......fine when new and if oil changes are frequent enough, but a used car that's had servicing skimped and levels not meticulously cared for strikes me as a problem in waiting.
Has Jamie Porter got anything on his website as far as known issues go?

I'll say it though Lou, so you don't feel bad about admitting it, but I may well end up with a KIA/Hyundai/Suzuki or something similar when the time comes, well specced cars seemingly devoid of issues and if all I'd be buying is a Vauxhall/Peugeot with an Alfa badge like the Tonale/Stelvio seem to be then so be it.
Giulietta JTD 170
Lancia Delta integrale
Lancia Flavia coupe 1.8 1963
Lancia Dedra turbo
Renault Clio 197 RS

I'm bad with people things
But I should have tried more

Veesix75

Post by Veesix75 »

If you have budget for a 1 or 2 year old giulia turbo then it’s a no brainier to use the same money for a 3 or 4 year old QV. No contest , just get the QV !

LooLooSud33Spider

Thanks chaps for all your advice and valued opinions. List of potentials as follows

BMW 3-5 series

Mercedes C class
Merc GLA

Alfa Giulia Veloce
Alfa Giulia QV
Alfa Stelvio
Alfa Tonale

Kia Stinger

Jag XE

Volvo XC 60/90

New Skoda. Octavia
Skoda 4wd silly name things
(Old one been so good we have to consider another)

Ford mustang. (Bullit edition)

Please feel free to laugh and call me names
Lou.
Alfasud Ti 1984
Alfa Spider 2.0 Ts 916
Alfa Spider 20v Turbo

Veesix75

Post by Veesix75 »

Choose a 5 series before a 3 series, the 5 is a really nice thing to drive and be in.

Mercs- no thanks.

Jag XE = Ford Mondeo

Kia stinger just a bit funny looking.

Mustang….nooooo

Alfa stelvio nice, QV defo, Tonali not sure.

Don’t mind the Volvos but if it’s not a stelvio then I’d have the Skoda out of the suv’s

alfadave

Post by alfadave »

Hope a Range Rover isn't on your hit list.

My nephew works for Sytner at Knutsford, Cheshire.

Seems they are overwhelmed with electrical problems on them.

alfadave

Post by alfadave »

Local mechanic who goes to The Ring each year, swears by his Hyundai i 30 N

LooLooSud33Spider

I wouldn’t have a Range Rover if they begged me today we’ve whittled the list down a bit.
Eliminated so far
5 series
Volvo
Tonale
Mustang
Kia stinger
Jaaaaaaag. XE

Still to be assessed are
Alfa Stelvio , Giulia
Probably excluded the QV due to running costs and 19 MPG

So far the 2023 Merc C class AMG has the luxury Saloon vote

Surprise addition is the Skoda Kodiak VRs
Alfasud Ti 1984
Alfa Spider 2.0 Ts 916
Alfa Spider 20v Turbo

alfadave

Post by alfadave »

Keep the Skoda, and save a shedload of money!

LooLooSud33Spider

We are hoping to keep the Skoda. We’ll most likely be trading the Porsche in
Alfasud Ti 1984
Alfa Spider 2.0 Ts 916
Alfa Spider 20v Turbo

Veesix75

Post by Veesix75 »

Same for me re land Rover, never .

Lou - what made you eliminate the 5 series, did you try one or just in general. Only merc I had was a hire car for a month, e220 amg when a 5 series I had was being repaired. To be fair the 5 was a 535 but the almost new e class wasn’t a patch in my near 10 year old 535 at that point. I was disappointed with the merc

The skoda suv with the strange name looks great, I’ve seen a few on the motorway.

I’m similar to Kev, had a Kia sportage hire car, small petrol engine but it was a really good all rounder, nice drive, loads of space. I’d have one everyday when it’s time to change.

For my sins I have a 9 year old 640i petrol gran coupe (4 doors) for motorway driving, it really is a nice place to be inside, if a bit impractical as cabin space is probably less than the massive bonnet !

Be interested in your stelvio thoughts, suspect the Skoda will win tho.

LooLooSud33Spider

Hi Tim in a nutshell the thing that’s put us off BMWs both 3 and 5. Is the tech. And also the fact that on cars at similar price points you get a pile more tech and toys on the Merc. The C class has recently had a facelift and the interiors are much improved and they make almost everything else look very dated. We’ve also been taken by the “Hi Mercedes” interface. You can basically do everything on the car just by talking to it. Don’t get me wrong that level of complexity scares the bejesus out of me but the decision isn’t mine alone and I’ve made my experience limitations known. Sadly what ever new car you buy these days will come with a level of tech that makes most of us “old school” petrolheads feel very inadequate.
Alfasud Ti 1984
Alfa Spider 2.0 Ts 916
Alfa Spider 20v Turbo

KevJTD

Post by KevJTD »

Mercedes reliability :roll:

https://youtu.be/bcF1CFKKuyI?si=2Z9COpsYqd2Z7OIg

I watch this guys videos a lot, he's really an exceptional engine buider and mechanic, has a straightforward attitude with customers and staff. He also seems to have a dislike for the modern idiotic way of doing things, like plastic where it ought not to be, and various built in weaknesses with regular engine fails he sees, well worth a look at his stuff.

This video shows that Mercedes use a camshaft postion sensor that fails and leaks oil internally allwoing oil to migrate within the wiring loom with expensive consequences. Would never have believed it, neither did Dave! But seems it's a common failure on these cars that has not been a recall, just a very expensive repair...
Giulietta JTD 170
Lancia Delta integrale
Lancia Flavia coupe 1.8 1963
Lancia Dedra turbo
Renault Clio 197 RS

I'm bad with people things
But I should have tried more

LooLooSud33Spider

Hi Guys
Thanks for all your feedback and opinions all very welcome and points duly noted. Sadly I feel that no matter what manufacturer we go for some element of “cheapo” build quality on significant components will be evident. I think this is more or less the way things are designed and manufactured these days. I have a friend who has just bought a New Giulia. I think it’s a Veloce and he’s had it about 6 wks now and it’s broken down twice. He’s not gone into much detail as to the causes yet but I will find out next time a see him.
The big thing I’m seeing is the massive boost in the BHP/litre equation. I remember when 100 hp /litre was considered a benchmark some of the C Class I’ve driven recently are pushing over 200 hp / litre and the C 300 estate MHEV I drove today doesn’t even have a starter motor. It has a starter/ generator unit that’s used for regen braking and is also used to start the engine when required.
There’s no doubt that we’re in a brave new world of ultra hi tech when it comes to new cars. And I’m not totally comfortable with this level of complexity. I mean in one of the settings the car actually tracks the movement of your eyeballs FFs !!!! I think It’s all just part of getting us ready for completely autonomous and driverless vehicles
Alfasud Ti 1984
Alfa Spider 2.0 Ts 916
Alfa Spider 20v Turbo

alfadave

Post by alfadave »

Sell the Porsche.
Buy the red Maserati 3200 from Richard Grace.

Run the Skoda.

Avoid the breakdowns, mechanical and nervous!

LooLooSud33Spider

Thanks for those words of wisdom Dave.
Sadly I have to dissagree with you on the Maserati =reliability front. And sadly the Skoda isn’t going to go on forever. It’s now at 120k miles and is starting to give us a few issues
Don’t get me wrong it’s nothing disastrous which is why we’re considering keeping it. But we no longer want to rely on it for all our daily driver journeys. As previously mentioned the decision isn’t mine alone as the new car will to some degree be Charlottes company car
Alfasud Ti 1984
Alfa Spider 2.0 Ts 916
Alfa Spider 20v Turbo