Physics Question.

Whats on your mind? Alfa related or otherwise, the funnier the better!
Sud 145

Physics Question.

Post by Sud 145 »

On a bicycle with twenty eight spoked wheels is the weight of the rider supported by the spokes above or below the hub? Can't wait for Lauren's explanation.

rsfruitbat

Re: Physics Question.

Post by rsfruitbat »

I would guess at both. Ones above are in tension. Ones below are in compression. Spokes being angled helps spread the load under acceleration and breaking?
Rsfruitbat

junior

Post by junior »

The spokes that you are hanging on as you progress down the road are the top spokes in relation to the rim,

but the side spokes in relation to the hub. That is normal for a 3 spokes crossing wheel.

So the top spokes on the hub are side spokes on the rim, and so on around the wheel.

The tightest spokes are always moving backwards as the wheel moves forward. Which I love as a mental image.

Sud 145

Post by Sud 145 »

So what about a radial spoked wheel?

junior

Post by junior »

Then your just hanging from the top. Which is why you see touring bikes with 3x crossing to give a kinder life to the body on the bike, rather than a stiffer wheel to go faster.

There is of course periodic stresses as load changes and torque altering things and when you look into it things get very complex quite fast I find. :?

junior

Post by junior »

Also you may find it interesting from an engineering point of view to look up Berd spokes which make some of the string

spokes which people are starting to use. Hooking a bit of string around a hook on a flange, then building it in to a wheel to

go down the road is a bit mind bending to me. :shock:

Spacenut

Post by Spacenut »

Sud 145 wrote:
Sun Nov 05, 2023 12:50 am
On a bicycle with twenty eight spoked wheels is the weight of the rider supported by the spokes above or below the hub? Can't wait for Lauren's explanation.
What everyone above said :lol:

I think I would rather have a bike like this one though...

https://luxurylaunches.com/wp-content/u ... 0x845.jpeg

Spoked wheels just seem so passe these days :D

Lauren