A Nice Sunday Drive

Whats on your mind? Alfa related or otherwise, the funnier the better!
Spacenut

A Nice Sunday Drive

Post by Spacenut »

In the last two years there have been very few opportunities to go for a drive without good reason. In fact, I can count the number of times on the fingers of one hand :(

Of course that isn’t to say that the car doesn’t get used. It’s just that every journey serves a purpose – a trip into the office to sort out IT issues; the weekly trip to Petersfield to get the groceries, or an occasional visit to the GP. It all adds to the steadily growing mileage.

But a couple of weeks ago I got an email from the local area section of AROC (Goodwood), inviting me down to East Selsey in West Sussex for a breakfast meet and a walk along the beach. What could be better, I thought.

Downsides? Only the date – March 27th, Mothers Day. But that got me thinking... maybe my mother would like to come for a drive too? Of course she was up for it (she does enjoy a ride out in the Green Machine, even if it is only to go to a GP appointment), and so we made our plans…

Sunday 27th March dawned a beautiful sunny Spring morning, unseasonably warm, but unfortunately we were too late for the breakfast meet (which was scheduled for 9:30am), especially after the clocks went forward the night before! In fact, in the end we weren't ready to go until 11am :lol:

So instead of driving down to Selsey, we went on a Sunday drive of our own – through Liss Forest and out to Greatham, then on to the B3006 heading for Alton, taking in Stairs Hill (almost as much fun to drive as Little Switzerland) and picturesque Selbourne on the way. A 20mph speed limit through the village now, how times have changed! Then down the A31 to East Tisted (where there used to be a great little hill climb event, sadly no more), and then on to the crossroads with the A272 at West Meon, where the West Meon Hut (a once popular pub) stands forlorn and empty, another casualty of the pandemic. Along the A272 back to Petersfield, via Stroud and another wonderful set of twisties. Lots of bikers out today, on all manner of classic and modern machinery, enjoying the sunshine and the thrill of riding what is widely regarded as one of the best driving roads in the South of England (there aren’t many, unfortunately). Through Petersfield and out the other side, we pick up the A272 again and head into West Sussex, turning off onto a tiny unmarked road at the White Horse in Rogate. I know this road very well, it is the location of my second accident in the Nova, over 30 years ago now. The adversely cambered right hand corner is still there, but the Green Machine easily negotiates it in the dry conditions and we are set up for the long climb up to the top of Rake Hanger. Lots of trees have been cut down up here, I do hope it is just the Forestry Commission cutting and replanting, I would hate to see such a lovely part of the world turned into another new housing development :(

At the top of the hill we have a choice – turn to the left and after a short drive we are at the Jolly Drover at the top of Hill Brow, 10 minutes from home. Straight ahead and the road drops steeply down the escarpment side of the hanger into the thickly wooded valley below. We choose the latter. To the right, the steeply wooded hillside has been turned into a mountain bike track, and we pass a number of kids standing open-mouthed at what must be quite an unusual sight in this peaceful backwater (although I do come this way on my annual pilgrimage to the MoT station in nearby Milland).

We find a small lay-by and pull off the road. With the canopy open and the engine off, we can sit in our comfortable reclined seats and listen to the birdsong, and the tap-tap-tap of the jogger heading back down to the hill. What a lovely way to round off our aimless journey 8-)

Sud 145

Re: A Nice Sunday Drive

Post by Sud 145 »

Thought I might have seen you at the track day at Goodwood last Saturday.

junior

Post by junior »

Looking good. I can understand the youth of today not getting what it is as they are such a seventies shape and yet your paint looks quite modern. Also it doesn't sound like a VW. :D

Spacenut

Post by Spacenut »

Sud 145 wrote:
Sun Apr 03, 2022 4:37 pm
Thought I might have seen you at the track day at Goodwood last Saturday.
I didn't know it was on. Looks like it was quite a small affair, but one or two interesting cars (C-type Jag and a Turner, plus an A35) amongst the moderns. Looks like it was a good day out.

I have booked a place at the Brooklands Easter meeting on the 16th, and Auto Italia on the 30th, but I will keep an eye out for Classic Alfa and Lancia track days at Goodwood, so I might see you there.

Lauren

Sud 145

Post by Sud 145 »

It was absolutely packed......Turner was my fav'. Classic Alfa Trackday 11th June.