Stuff your electric cars...

Whats on your mind? Alfa related or otherwise, the funnier the better!
Spacenut

Stuff your electric cars...

Post by Spacenut »

...I just found this impressive short video. Go Alejandro, go!

https://youtu.be/RN15lZl3pYA

8-)

junior

Re: Stuff your electric cars...

Post by junior »

Nice ! Had not realised how narrow it was up there. Been on a few of those passes when visiting relatives and they are fab, but I reckon that is the best. :D

LooLooSud33Spider

Post by LooLooSud33Spider »

It does tend to make the case for NOT fitting an expensive radio in any Alfa they’re s nothing that can come out of the speakers that sounds better than the engine. The sounds of a well sorted Boxer or Busso just makes my heart sing . Sadly I fear the days of “Musical” engines are rapidly coming to an end.
Alfasud Ti 1984
Alfa Spider 2.0 Ts 916
Alfa Spider 20v Turbo

Spacenut

Post by Spacenut »

LooLooSud33Spider wrote:
Thu Sep 09, 2021 7:18 pm
It does tend to make the case for NOT fitting an expensive radio in any Alfa they’re s nothing that can come out of the speakers that sounds better than the engine. The sounds of a well sorted Boxer or Busso just makes my heart sing . Sadly I fear the days of “Musical” engines are rapidly coming to an end.
New engines, yes, but I am hoping that synthetic fuel starts being manufactured in industrial quantity, I can't believe that the internal combustion engine can be phased out completely. I mean, how will the Taliban get around with no fuel for their Hiluxes? Or farmers in the Punjab? You can't expect them to go electric or go without, they can't afford it.

And synthetic fuel is essentially carbon-neutral, as it takes CO2 out of the air, splits it into carbon and oxygen, combines it with hydrogen made from electrolysing water to make a hydrocarbon fuel, which when burned just puts the same CO2 back into the atmosphere. Everybody wins, especially those of us with musical engines :D

Lauren

KevJTD

Post by KevJTD »

Synthetic fuels are the future I'd say, the whole electric route is so flawed it's rediculous to assume it can happen. It's just the whip to make changes.
My only concern though is that internal combustion engines are being devoloped already and the "man-made" fuels to run them on, but I will be amazed if the new fuel will be compatable with any of our old engines. They'll need vast computer controlled ignition and fueling maps not to mention the valve control that seems the norm now, all in the chase for ever stringent emmision control, so I have real doubts that even if synthetic fuel becomes available it won't be suitable for cars like my integrale with it's very basic ECU let alone a carb fed car.

So you'd be left with the choice, electrify your classic or opgrade to a modern motor that would run on the modern fuels.
I can see that in 15 years or so the cost of super unleaded would be prohibitive for us mere mortals.
Hope I'm wrong.
Giulietta JTD 170
Lancia Delta integrale
Lancia Flavia coupe 1.8 1963
Lancia Dedra turbo
Renault Clio 197 RS

I'm bad with people things
But I should have tried more

Spacenut

Post by Spacenut »

I hope so to Kev. I went out for fuel this morning only to find every single Super Unleaded pump out of service and only the infernal E10 Unleaded available everywhere else. I hope things get better before they get worse, I'm running on fumes at the moment :cry:

I still can't see the majority of motors in the poorer parts of the world being forced to upgrade their systems, but I do take your point. We could end up like Germany, where the only way to get your old Beetle through the TUV is to retro-fit single point fuel injection. But the UK has always had a very strong classic car lobby, unlike some European countries, and now that we are out of Europe at least they can't impose their draconian rules on us any more. One good thing about Brexit I suppose :roll:

Lauren

Spacenut

Post by Spacenut »

I hope so to Kev. I went out for fuel this morning only to find every single Super Unleaded pump out of service and only the infernal E10 Unleaded available everywhere else. I hope things get better before they get worse, I'm running on fumes at the moment :cry:

I still can't see the majority of motors in the poorer parts of the world being forced to upgrade their systems, but I do take your point. We could end up like Germany, where the only way to get your old Beetle through the TUV is to retro-fit single point fuel injection. But the UK has always had a very strong classic car lobby, unlike some European countries, and now that we are out of Europe at least they can't impose their draconian rules on us any more. One good thing about Brexit I suppose :roll:

Lauren