COMPOMOTIVE back in business

Whats on your mind? Alfa related or otherwise, the funnier the better!
AlfaCorseChris

COMPOMOTIVE back in business

Post by AlfaCorseChris »

Yeap, you heard me right, its not official yet, but I've got some inside info ;)

... right about now Shrew's eyeballs are probably 30cm in front of his head.... :lol:

So whats happening....

COMPOMOTIVE was the only UK wheel supplier which was BASED and MADE in UK.
The company had been through some storms from time to time, due to local UK taxes that involved running a business and running a factory, and even though the staff employed was less than 20 people, it made the running costs so high, it was time to pull the plug.
These guys used to design their own wheels and they were the only ones who would make custom sets of wheels for rally cars with whatever offset, center bore or inserts you requested.

... right about now I can almost hear Shrew yelling "GET ON WITH IT".... :D

So, news are, they are planning on reopening the company but on different terms and conditions.
First of all, the wheels wont be made in UK anymore, but will be fabricated in a factory in a non EU country
Secondly, they will no longer make custom requests for customers, or if they do I will imagine it will be for very large quantities.
As far as I know, its only a matter of time till they conclude and announce their comeback.

I'm very chuffed about these news, music to my ears, but I'm just hoping that they wont mess up the quality in favor of the price.

PETROLHEAD

Re: COMPOMOTIVE back in business

Post by PETROLHEAD »

Correctly suspected about the quality thing Chris, but it is still good news that the company continues in some form.

Although, it has to be said, if they end going the route of Minilites etc,. i.e. made now under the JBW umbrella i believe, i would rather the name dies and be remembered favourably for ever more, than return with such inferior castings, and quality control.

You still can't beat the originals in my opinion, but i have everything crossed that this is a good plan to salvage the company with a real respect to their historic popularity.

Well done Chris.

does that mean your contact is not clearing out his loft anymore? ha ha!
SHREW

I AM the Law!

Alfasud 1.7-16v, Charade Turbo SR, & The Dirty Diesels - GT Cloverleaf, 159 Ti Sportwagon, Saab 9-3 Sportwagon

AlfaCorseChris

Re: COMPOMOTIVE back in business

Post by AlfaCorseChris »

Well he still is, but from first check, he wasnt willing to give them cheap.
He was looking into getting his cost back without making any money on them, but still I had to explain to him that his THEN cost prices will never be met by todays standards, and if he is not willing to drop the prices substantially, then his loss will far greater than if he would sell the wheels at a loss price.

He was gonna get back to me, then a million other things happened, and it stayed at that.

Wheels are still taking up most of a rented warehouse and are good to nobody where they are at the mo.

Hope he changes his mind soon