The XPocalypse is upon us!!!

Whats on your mind? Alfa related or otherwise, the funnier the better!
Spacenut

The XPocalypse is upon us!!!

Post by Spacenut »

Well, tomorrow, to be exact.

I know it will probably go unnoticed by most of you, as I am sure you will have migrated to something more modern some time ago, but in my case, having used my own money to buy a copy of XP Pro in 2008, I quite reasonably feel that I haven't got my money's worth out of it yet :lol:

So I have disconnected my Windoze OS from the Interweb and will continue to use my centuries old copy of Photoshop 4 and Canon EOS utilities in isolation.

And having been traumatised enough by Billy Microsoft's Windoze 7 "ribbon" at work, I thought I would take the plunge and try a Linux distribution for my Interweb browsing and email.

So I am speaking to you today via an Ubuntu Linux 12.04.4 LTS OS, with Mozilla Firefox and Thunderbird already included. It is completely free, open-source software, highly resilient to virus and malware, and did I mention it's completely free?

12.04.4 is supported until at least 2017, so hopefully I will be able to maintain a presence on the Interweb for some time to come!

Happy XPocalypse everyone!

Lauren

Nige005

Re: The XPocalypse is upon us!!!

Post by Nige005 »

Well I'm still here on XP and Firefox.........

Been reading all the horror stories about how my house is going to catch on fire, cars explode and the cat get pregnant 'cos I'm still using XP.

Never use IE and had Updates turned off for a few months now as I was getting problems with 100% CPU usage which seemed to be caused by the Updates trying to do the impossible and update my old IE.

Frankly non of the alternatives look good to me. Don't fancy Vista or 7 and what I've seen of 8 doesn't appeal to me one bit. Perhaps the Linux route with the XP simulator ? may be the way to go but having read about Disc Partition and how to achieve Boot Up and things when using Linux me 'ead started 'urting and so I gave up.

So I'm left in a quandary. Think I'll do the usual and keep my head firmly planted in the sand until such time as I can no longer get on line and the PC cras

AlfaCorseChris

Post by AlfaCorseChris »

Just last week I installed windows XP on 2 old pc's with SP3

They work a treat and updates were all done as well ! :/

Joe1968

Post by Joe1968 »

Been having this warning for a week now .. It did as the little window suggested and checked my system to see if I could upgrade to what ever the new one is ... :?: alas not, I do not have the requirements ... I only ever use this net book for here and other forums and fb ... cant be assed .. i'll just make sure I have the latest Norton or similar , probably niaevity on my part .. but i'm sure others are having the same issue ... I think Microsoft should get there head out there bot and continue, there are so many users who have XP still ... seems a little unfair .. not everyone has the cash to go and replace there machine or even upgrade .. but that my opinion ... :)

KevJTD

Post by KevJTD »

i don't understand the difference between XP, vista etc.
my pc has vista, but i couldn't tell you if that's worse or better than anything else.
uploading pics is my limit, and sometimes that goes wrong, ask john about me helping him :oops:
Giulietta JTD 170
Lancia Delta integrale
Lancia Flavia coupe 1.8 1963
Lancia Dedra turbo
Renault Clio 197 RS

I'm bad with people things
But I should have tried more

Joe1968

Post by Joe1968 »

All it is , they are just phasing out the old to make way for the new ... its unfortunate that so many use XP still ...

Why, what did you do ... or shouldnt I ask ... :lol:

Spacenut

Post by Spacenut »

Nige005 wrote:Think I'll do the usual and keep my head firmly planted in the sand until such time as I can no longer get on line and the PC cras
Oh dear - I hope it hasn't gone wrong already :shock:

I was worried about the partioning thing too. Backed up my Windoze files and finally took the plunge on Sunday (just enough time to re-install XP before support ended); absolutely no problem - new partition created automatically, dual-boot is easy (reminds me of Windows 3.1, for those of us with long memories).

Glad to see its not just me that's sticking with XP. Uninstalled MSE this evening as it was annoying me with splash screens. Firewall set to block all incoming and outgoing comms.

My worry is that with so many people (large institutions as well as individuals) still using XP, there will be a large influx of new exploits and viruses now that the OS is vulnerable to attack. One of the reasons why I chose to isolate my copy from the Interweb.

This whole OS update thing is just a rat race; I agree with Kev, life is too short...

Lauren

Spacenut

Post by Spacenut »

KevJTD wrote:i don't understand the difference between XP, vista etc.
my pc has vista, but i couldn't tell you if that's worse or better than anything else.
uploading pics is my limit, and sometimes that goes wrong, ask john about me helping him :oops:
According to my colleague, who has a computer science degree, Vista is just an evolutionary OS, rather than a completely updated system. But you will be pleased to hear that Vista will be supported for a little while longer, but XP? That's it - you're on your own!

As has been said, the world doesn't end today for XP users. But if my previous experience of running W95 beyond its supported lifetime, and then W98, things will start to get a bit flakey, and finding effective anti-virus gets more difficult too. Especially if, like me, you are averse to paying for it!

Lauren

Ubuntu! :lol:

Sud 145

Post by Sud 145 »

Now I know why my poor old Dad rang me up saying his computor had gone mental. How can I help him with my very limited computor knowledge or is it now too late?

Spacenut

Post by Spacenut »

Hopefully it is just a load of warning messages from Microsoft themselves. The XP OS put up a message tonight saying that support for this OS had ended, and I noticed Microsoft Security Essentials also went from orange (potentially unprotected) to red (unprotected), with a more prominent message.

For the non tech-savvy there probably isn't much you can do to secure XP in an unsupported environment - it will continue to run, but if third party software like Java, Flash plugins and Acrobat are not updated regularly they can harbour all sorts of nasties (I was caught out by some threatware virus that transported itself in on an old version of Acrobat - Malwarebytes freeware saved the day on that occasion).

So I would say the most obvious solution for maintaining safe Interweb access would be to upgrade to a supported version of Windoze... unfortunately :(

Good luck!

Lauren

AlfaCorseChris

Post by AlfaCorseChris »

cd\
cd windows\internet
dir classicalfaforum.exe
cls
edit classicalfaforum.bat
"cd\
cd windows\internet\classicalfaforum.exe
cls"
- file - save - exit

cd games
Hopper.exe

Yeah... it works :lol:

Nige005

Post by Nige005 »

Spacenut wrote:
Nige005 wrote:Think I'll do the usual and keep my head firmly planted in the sand until such time as I can no longer get on line and the PC cras
Oh dear - I hope it hasn't gone wrong already :shock:

I was worried about the partioning thing too. Backed up my Windoze files and finally took the plunge on Sunday (just enough time to re-install XP before support ended); absolutely no problem - new partition created automatically, dual-boot is easy (reminds me of Windows 3.1, for those of us with long memories).

Glad to see its not just me that's sticking with XP. Uninstalled MSE this evening as it was annoying me with splash screens. Firewall set to block all incoming and outgoing comms.

My worry is that with so many people (large institutions as well as individuals) still using XP, there will be a large influx of new exploits and viruses now that the OS is vulnerable to attack. One of the reasons why I chose to isolate my copy from the Interweb.

This whole OS update thing is just a rat race; I agree with Kev, life is too short...

Lauren

Still here Lauren !

Must admit that it is all a bit of a worry really and I don't know what to do other than carry on carrying on. I don't feel confident about trying to modify what I have already.

As Joe said it just smacks of Microsoft cashing in. I wouldn't mind upgrading as my PC is only just sufficient for what I use it for anyway but I really don't like the only alternatives on offer. Seems to me that W7 might be the best of a poor bunch as W8 seems to be designed for mostly Touchscreen applications and as I already have enough snot and other bodily fluids type stuff on my Tablet I don't really want to spread that to my PC ! :shock:

Perhaps a better bet would be to stuff MS and go for an Apple but not sure. Used Apple for work when I was in the Middle East and found them acceptable but slightly annoying, especially as I couldn't do my own things with files copied from my own Windows PC during my busy working day.......... :mrgreen:

Also found them not as reliable as the hype would have it. Had a really high spec one in the Studio Editing Suite and it was a constant pain in the neck, got fed up with seeing the cartoon like fizzing bomb in the top left hand corner warning me that the World was about to end.

So the quandary remains.......

PETROLHEAD

Post by PETROLHEAD »

Its a shame XP isn't supported anymore, most tech heads i know love it because it so darn reliable, and easy going on the pc hardware too.

Vista, by joint opinion of the same tech heads was a total fubar abortion in comparison! they all hate the fact that it is so heavy on resources, in other words, although it was annonced as the new fandangle way forward kind of thing, it actually made 99% of computers run slower and less relaible. Great!

I use 7, personally, and find it very good, probably what a new XP should have been in fact.

keep things simple, google chrome, avg free edition and keep the crap off it. weekly defrag and clean up, keep things in tidy folders etc etc

I won't be moving onto 8, as it sounds as much of a clanger as vista was!
SHREW

I AM the Law!

Alfasud 1.7-16v, Charade Turbo SR, & The Dirty Diesels - GT Cloverleaf, 159 Ti Sportwagon, Saab 9-3 Sportwagon

Spacenut

Post by Spacenut »

Supercharged16v wrote:cd\
cd windows\internet
dir classicalfaforum.exe
cls
edit classicalfaforum.bat
"cd\
cd windows\internet\classicalfaforum.exe
cls"
- file - save - exit

cd games
Hopper.exe

Yeah... it works :lol:
Oh yea - I forgot about MS-DOS :lol:

Only trouble with it these days is that MS-DOS actually runs within a Windows OS shell, instead of outside of it!

There's always machine code I suppose - hexadecimal anyone?

As a general browsing/email tool I am liking my Ubuntu Linux a lot. It seems to be a generally held view that Linux is written by geeks, for geeks, whereas Windoze OS is for normal people. While Linux may be written by geeks, I must say I haven't had to do anything at the code level yet, leaving me free to post fatuous messages like this one!

Lauren

Spacenut

Post by Spacenut »

petrolhead wrote:Its a shame XP isn't supported anymore, most tech heads i know love it because it so darn reliable, and easy going on the pc hardware too.

Vista, by joint opinion of the same tech heads was a total fubar abortion in comparison! they all hate the fact that it is so heavy on resources, in other words, although it was annonced as the new fandangle way forward kind of thing, it actually made 99% of computers run slower and less relaible. Great!

I use 7, personally, and find it very good, probably what a new XP should have been in fact.

keep things simple, google chrome, avg free edition and keep the crap off it. weekly defrag and clean up, keep things in tidy folders etc etc

I won't be moving onto 8, as it sounds as much of a clanger as vista was!
I quite agree - like Windoze ME before it, W8 and Vista are just stop-gaps, intended to generate revenue. But while I agree that W7 is pretty stable, robust and resource-efficient by modern standards, I just don't like using it. All the IT people at work kept banging on about how wonderful it was, but all it did for me was introduce confusion and reduce productivity, mainly thanks to that bloody ribbon. But that's the difference between using a PC as a means to an end, and the PC being an end in itself, which is all the IT people see.

Lauren

PETROLHEAD

Post by PETROLHEAD »

MSdos :!:

code :!:

has your dashboard glue been getting to you Lauren, or is it me on another planet? ;) ha ha!

way beyond me that stuff, but i admire folk who can do a bit,

particularly those that can fabricate, weld, design and build a car too! :D

unlike a proper nerd that needs slip ons because there wasn't a course in shoelaces!
SHREW

I AM the Law!

Alfasud 1.7-16v, Charade Turbo SR, & The Dirty Diesels - GT Cloverleaf, 159 Ti Sportwagon, Saab 9-3 Sportwagon

AlfaCorseChris

Post by AlfaCorseChris »

As if you never played Hopper !!!

with the "TURBO" button on the tower which converted the 8mhz of the pc into a mind blowing 16 !!!

and made everything feel as if you were in fast forward mode !!!

For me, jumping from the 2-86 keycomp I had (have) to the massive 4-86 was a huge leap !
I can still hear the sounds of the 5 1/4 floppy disc drives trying to read the sectors, and the brilliant sound of the 28 800 US Robotics modem which dropped the connection every 4 mins.

Alfasixnut

Post by Alfasixnut »

Oh I do feel OLD at times....my first home computer was a Sinclair Spectrum 16K (I couldn't afford the 48K!)...and that needed a tape player - with just the right Bass and treble settings to load the programs!! :shock:

Joe1968

Post by Joe1968 »

I remember we had a Commodore 64 and a Commodore plus 4 ... blimey ! ... how times have moved on ... ... :lol:

AlfaCorseChris

Post by AlfaCorseChris »

As in Vaxhual ???

Johnboy

Post by Johnboy »

:lol: