MoT

Whats on your mind? Alfa related or otherwise, the funnier the better!
alfadave

MoT

Post by alfadave »

My S2 sud was registered on 1st Feb 1980.

So, 40 yrs old on Saturday.

Then becomes tax and MoT exempt.

Been thinking what to do.

As I only do low mileage, I've decided to put it into a local, classic car friendly garage for a "pre MoT" check every 2 years. (In line with our European friends as Boris would say)

I won't then have an MoT fail, and time deadline to deal with. But will have the comfort of the safety check.

Wondered what other people do?

KevJTD

Re: MoT

Post by KevJTD »

The whole MoT test exemption for classics is a bigger issue than it appears.
The issue will blow up once an unroadworthy car is involved in an accident through the car having a failure that would otherwise have been picked up on the yearly test, that will inevitably happen.
In the event that happens it will be for the owner to prove that they have done all they can to maintain the car in a roadworthy condition.
The easiest way to prove that would be to continue having the annual MoT. It's still a grey area where Insurance companies stand in this situation should an accident occur and the car hadn't been taken for a test, it'd be up to the owner to prove that the car had been maintained properly...
The whole situation is a mess, it would have been far simpler to make a new category of classic test so it just checks general body condition and corrosion, suspension, brakes, lights and not get involved with all the modern stuff. It could have been optional for test centres if there really was an issue with young testers not understanding classics, plenty of garages still around that would have been happy to carry out the work.

For peace of mine and to back me up if the worst happens I will continue to have the annual test.
Giulietta JTD 170
Lancia Delta integrale
Lancia Flavia coupe 1.8 1963
Lancia Dedra turbo
Renault Clio 197 RS

I'm bad with people things
But I should have tried more

alfadave

Post by alfadave »

Gulp!
I'll get the garage to provide a written list of the checks they do.

Johnboy

Post by Johnboy »

Interesting stuff . I suppose a lot of people still work on their classics . So you know what needs doing . But I can see the gray area in this .
Powered by the dark side
Gt jtdm blackline
S2 33 cl veloce 16v sleeping
Freestyle superjet jetski

Kegsti66

Post by Kegsti66 »

I am with Kev on this one.
I think as the tax is now free, an MOT is not a big outlay and it is peace of mind especially as a car sitting around for most of the year without use, is more prone to sticking brakes than a regular driver. Get an MOT just prior to the summer months with a service if you don't check it yourself.

Spacenut

Post by Spacenut »

KevJTD wrote:The whole MoT test exemption for classics is a bigger issue than it appears.
The issue will blow up once an unroadworthy car is involved in an accident through the car having a failure that would otherwise have been picked up on the yearly test, that will inevitably happen.
In the event that happens it will be for the owner to prove that they have done all they can to maintain the car in a roadworthy condition.
The easiest way to prove that would be to continue having the annual MoT. It's still a grey area where Insurance companies stand in this situation should an accident occur and the car hadn't been taken for a test, it'd be up to the owner to prove that the car had been maintained properly...
The whole situation is a mess, it would have been far simpler to make a new category of classic test so it just checks general body condition and corrosion, suspension, brakes, lights and not get involved with all the modern stuff. It could have been optional for test centres if there really was an issue with young testers not understanding classics, plenty of garages still around that would have been happy to carry out the work.

For peace of mine and to back me up if the worst happens I will continue to have the annual test.
I absolutely 100% wholeheartedly agree. Plus driving a kit car/Alfa special is even more of a grey porridge, so its MoT all the way for me, even if the date of first registration was 51 years ago...

Incidentally, did anyone watch the recent Salvage Hunters: Classic Cars where they went to look at the Fiat 500 that had failed its MoT four years previously with major corrosion, but they took it for a test drive anyway because (as the commentator explained) the car was now MoT exempt!

Which just goes to show how confused everyone is about this legislation.

Lauren

Alfastrut

Post by Alfastrut »

Even though most of us know our cars inside out mechanical i think it's advisable for someone else to give a second opinion and if that's a qualified mot tester mores the better. Plus it's good to get a proper look under the car ounce a year since most people don't have a lift.

KevJTD

Post by KevJTD »

It's also not as straightforward as not bothering to get an MoT test now it's 40 years old, you have to apply for a VHI or Vehicle of Historic Interest with DVLA so the necessity to have a valid test is removed from the database.

ClassicLine’s view
While we will not require exempt vehicles to have an MoT, you still need to keep the vehicle in a roadworthy condition and can voluntarily have an MoT test. We recommend continued regular maintenance and checks of the vehicle.
We would also like to reiterate that it is down to the policyholder/vehicle owner to have the vehicle registered correctly with DVLA. If the vehicle is listed correctly as VHI and is MOT exempt then there will not be an insurance requirement to have a current MoT on your vehicle with Classicline’s branded products. If in doubt please seek advice from DVLA.
If at the time of next licence renewal, a declaration as a VHI is not made, the requirement for an MoT will reappear on the DVLA record.

Also with regards to the Europe 2 year test I believe it is far more stringent, stuff has a life and needs to be changed at a much earlier state of wear than our way of waiting for it to be at end of life. I seem to recall that in some countries (Japan?) parts are even required to be changed at a point in the parts life if worn or not..

Although Insurance companies are saying that cover is still valid if a car has no MoT if it's not needed the onus is still on the owner to ensure the car is kept in a roadworthy condition.

Imagine this not hard to believe situation.

A car has an accident because a bottom ball joint collapsed, car hadn't had an MoT for 3 years. A pedestrian was seriously injured by the uncontrollable classic..Do you think the Insurance company would back you? Or would they ask to see any maintenance records for roadworthiness?

For the sake of £35 or so each year it's not worth the risk.

Besides, I always think a 2nd opinion is never bad. I'd rather suffer a failed MoT than an accident through not having it checked.

Looks also like "kit cars" are exempt from the exemption capabilities anyway Lauren! But agree fully with you too 8-)
Giulietta JTD 170
Lancia Delta integrale
Lancia Dedra turbo
Renault Clio 197 RS

I'm bad with people things
But I should have tried more

alfadave

Post by alfadave »

Looks like I'm booking it in for an MoT soon!

junior

Post by junior »

I MOT mine, but at the garage I do a lot of my maintenance the owner and real mechanic is noticing that the people who care for their cars and are sensible

get them mot'd and some of the the sharp customers are doing without. One to an extent that he pretended he was going to trailer the car home as it was rotten.

but wanted the brakes working so he could drive it round his yard. Once the work was done he drove it home, a long and in that car dangerous drive. :shock:

He knew the mechanic would have refused to have done the work if he had known his intention.

So a court case may focus not on the car, but if the person acted in a feckless manner.

Spacenut

Post by Spacenut »

KevJTD wrote:Looks also like "kit cars" are exempt from the exemption capabilities anyway Lauren! But agree fully with you too 8-)
Yes, I came to the same conclusion, but it hasn't stopped some of the kit car guys claiming they are exempt without declaring VHI. I suspect the majority of such claimants secretly know their cars are unroadworthy, as you say the cost of an annual MoT is not a lot in the overall scheme of things.

alfadave

Post by alfadave »

A guy I worked with used to get an MoT without even visiting his garage.

It was run by a dodgy mate of his, and the dodgy deals were done on a Saturday morning when the inspector never turned up.

That was 12 yrs ago.....maybe things have changed since.

So, maybe garage bills might hold up in court better, as proof of maintenance.

Thats a problem for me.....as I do all my own work!

Maybe the ebay parts invoice, signed by me with oily fingerprints

alfadave

Post by alfadave »

Booked in for MoT on Tues

KevJTD

Post by KevJTD »

:lol: you know it makes sense :D
Giulietta JTD 170
Lancia Delta integrale