general chat thread

Whats on your mind? Alfa related or otherwise, the funnier the better!
KevJTD

Re: general chat thread

Post by KevJTD »

alfadave wrote:
Sat Dec 10, 2022 10:36 am
Do you ever use vacuum pumps to bleed brakes?
Nope. Tried all sorts of different methods. Vacuum ones that you use at the nipple do work sometimes, the trouble with them is that they like to pull the air through the threads of the bleed nipple rather than keep airtight so it's a faff to remove the nipple and grease the threads to try and keep a seal.
We've had ones that use an airline pressure with a regulator but you have to be careful or you can end up with tiny air bubbles in the fluid, which isn't the best!
Getting someone sat in pressing the pedal, old school style still works but you're pushing the internals past where they usually go so seals can get flipped over and damaged.

The type I've used for years and is simple to use and has non of the drawbacks is a bottle that connects to the reservoir cap and you manually pump the bottle to about 5psi which is enough to flush the fluid through without causing issue.
Giulietta JTD 170
Lancia Delta integrale
Lancia Flavia coupe 1.8 1963
Lancia Dedra turbo
Renault Clio 197 RS

I'm bad with people things
But I should have tried more

KevJTD

Post by KevJTD »

Giulietta JTD 170
Lancia Delta integrale
Lancia Dedra turbo
Renault Clio 197 RS

KevJTD

Post by KevJTD »

LooLooSud33Spider wrote:
Sat Dec 10, 2022 1:02 pm
That was obviously deigned by some Gen Z, Soy drinking Incel “engineer” that has a degree in media studies but cant get a job in the media so they got a job designing cars. They are also own every product Apple have ever produced but can’t even fathom out how to open the bonnet on they’re car because they drive a Tesla so have no need to. Their response to hearing a well tuned car on twin carbs or open throttle bodies is “ ahh that sound hurts my ears !! I’m going to sue you for emotional distress”
Exactly my thoughts Lou!
There's some funny video shorts on YouTube where car designers are being called out on their stupid designs, so it's not just us!
Sump plugs just above a crossmember are a favourite! :roll:
Mind you, I serviced the Giulietta the other night and the oil filter location is just stupid, right above the inner CV joint. One of the plastic housing ones, on its side. Tried to use half an old litre oil tub on its side to catch the oil flow but still ended up with subframe soaked in old oil. :evil:
Giulietta JTD 170
Lancia Delta integrale
Lancia Dedra turbo
Renault Clio 197 RS

alfadave

Post by alfadave »

Some years back, I bought a 33 to strip for parts.

The owner had fitted a bike tyre valve to the reservoir cap.

Get an assistant to use a bike pump to keep pressure whilst bleeding.

Remove cap to top up after each wheel.

KevJTD

Post by KevJTD »

alfadave wrote:
Sun Dec 11, 2022 10:16 am
Some years back, I bought a 33 to strip for parts.

The owner had fitted a bike tyre valve to the reservoir cap.

Get an assistant to use a bike pump to keep pressure whilst bleeding.

Remove cap to top up after each wheel.
Nice idea, but several issues..
The bottle in the pressurised one fills the reservoir as you go, no need to stop, just work you're way around the car.
Also, no assistant needed, in a busy workplace it's not always easy to get help.
As I mentioned earlier, keeping the pressure low is vital to prevent tiny bubbles forming, a bike pump is hardly controllable!
But neat inventive idea all the more
Giulietta JTD 170
Lancia Delta integrale
Lancia Dedra turbo
Renault Clio 197 RS

KevJTD

Post by KevJTD »

Today's brake job was a 2019 Mitsubishi L200 that was brought in with a lack of brakes, pedal just goes to the floor... Repeat, driven in...

Fluid empty, pedal indeed goes to the floor. Carefully put in on the lift as was an Automatic but thankfully had a normal handbrake to slow it down.

Soon became obvious where the problem lies, NSF caliper wet and wheel soaked in brake fluid. On looking closer it appeared there was no pad left at all on the inside face...
IMG_20221214_105506.jpg
All that was left was the thin cover that used to be on the back of the pad, which must have been long gone.
IMG_20221214_110425.jpg
The piston had been grinding away on the brake disc until it got so far out that it went beyond the seal which finally convinced the driver that maybe he ought to get it checked out!
IMG_20221214_110439.jpg
Giulietta JTD 170
Lancia Delta integrale
Lancia Dedra turbo
Renault Clio 197 RS

KevJTD

Post by KevJTD »

He'd taken about 3mm of material off the disc face by carrying on driving with the pads metal to metal which made enough clearance at the mount for the pad to slip through the much wider gap.
IMG_20221214_111743.jpg
New disc shows where the gap should be
IMG_20221214_114706.jpg
The amount of wear is clear..
IMG_20221214_114421.jpg
Giulietta JTD 170
Lancia Delta integrale
Lancia Dedra turbo
Renault Clio 197 RS

alfadave

Post by alfadave »

Gulp!
What mileage?

Had it had its first MoT?

LooLooSud33Spider

Post by LooLooSud33Spider »

KevJTD wrote:
Wed Dec 14, 2022 11:20 pm
He'd taken about 3mm of material off the disc face by carrying on driving
Remember they walk amongst us !!!
Alfasud Ti 1984
Alfa Spider 2.0 Ts 916
Alfa Spider 20v Turbo

alfadave

Post by alfadave »

Even worse.......drive amongst us!

Kegsti66

Post by Kegsti66 »

Scary thought is that the owner could have been riding someone's rear bumper with a trailer of kit and something ahead happened and all hell would have broken loose.
:shock:

LooLooSud33Spider

I’m sure that in such an event if it lead to fatalities they’d be facing Jail time (deservedly so imo) For knowingly operating an unsafe vehicle. And let’s be honest how could they not know something wasn’t right !!!
Alfasud Ti 1984
Alfa Spider 2.0 Ts 916
Alfa Spider 20v Turbo

KevJTD

Post by KevJTD »

Yep, scary to think what's driving around. It is a big thing too, back seats full of gear and the pick up section full of heavy tools. I'd imagine it in excess 2,500 kg, and that's before the trailer is added..

A construction gang truck of some sort judging by the tools in it. Company supplied vehicle so nobody gives a damn, apart from the lease hire company who were far from impressed and will be charging the customer despite being on a maintenance contract, seems stupidity isn't covered!

Scary thing though is it being an automatic so short of trying to ram it into first or park there's little engine braking. If it had one of my pet hates too, an electric handbrake that would have been worse still. At least you could moderate the speed slightly.
But the fact he saw fit to actually drive it in without much concern, well it just says a lot about the state of some drivers idea on what is safe to do.
Giulietta JTD 170
Lancia Delta integrale
Lancia Dedra turbo
Renault Clio 197 RS

KevJTD

Post by KevJTD »

Judging by the grass growing on the rear step I doubt it has ever been washed either..
Attachments
IMG_20221215_201631.jpg
Giulietta JTD 170
Lancia Delta integrale
Lancia Dedra turbo
Renault Clio 197 RS

KevJTD

Post by KevJTD »

I've seen a good few cars with broken front springs, Fiesta and Citroen cars mostly, often the sharp broken end goes through the inner sidewall of the tyre for added effect!

But this Peugeot 3008 this week was brought in as the Lady owner thought the car looked a bit lop sided and didn't seem to be riding as well as normal....
IMG_20230111_122850.jpg
IMG_20230111_122844.jpg
I've never seen one jump out of both top and bottom mounts though! This was the drivers side rear spring which had snapped, jumped sideways and got stuck between the axle and the spare wheel well, denting the floor and crushing the plastic fuel filler pipe.
Giulietta JTD 170
Lancia Delta integrale
Lancia Dedra turbo
Renault Clio 197 RS

KevJTD

Post by KevJTD »

But, back to stupid cars :twisted:

Audi e-tron huge electric powered behemoth of a thing. 2020 year model and must have cost a fortune a couple of years ago, but if you said I could have it for free as long as I had to use it for the next 5 years.... :roll: no thanks, I'll pass on that thanks.

Damn thing must have been over 2000kgs, never did look it up but you could tell on jacking it up it was heavy, stupid wide 265 tyres on 21" mostly as more normal sizes wouldn't be able to cope.

Then you get the stupidity of it.
Anyone ever thought that door mirrors are too difficult to use? :?:

Well Audi in their wisdom have created a much more expensive way of doing that, God knows what it would cost to fix when it inevitably goes wrong, but worse still is they have removed the mirror from being in view...
IMG_20230113_145339.jpg
Instead of being able to glance at the reflection in a mirror you get a TV screen built into each door card, passenger side too. :?

Just the job for removing your line of sight from the road ahead!
If they really did want to improve something that had worked well for years then why not have the image on the dash corners, or a head up display like some cars have for speedo projected onto the inside of the screen?

I guess they'll claim that the "mirrors" /stalks outside of the car cut down on drag so help the range, but as they've built a huge car that's as wide and tall as a Vivaro Van then it's just pissing in the wind.
Incedentally the Lady owner of the car hates it, wishes she'd never bought it (not leased for a change...) as it only has a real life range of 135 miles.... Just the ticket for her, has a company doing bespoke kitchens so going out to see clients is a nightmare in rural Lincolnshire. She's going back to combustion engine as the electric car situation is so far away from being usable it's a joke, not enough range and a huge inconvenience on charge times if like her you can't do a day's work on one charge.
Giulietta JTD 170
Lancia Delta integrale
Lancia Dedra turbo
Renault Clio 197 RS

LooLooSud33Spider

Someone needs to tell new car engineers and designers that just because you can doesn’t mean you should !!!!
This stuff Pisses me right off.
Alfasud Ti 1984
Alfa Spider 2.0 Ts 916
Alfa Spider 20v Turbo

KevJTD

Post by KevJTD »

Agree fully Lou, I've just about had my fill of modern cars, or modern car designers.
There's no need for such huge and heavy vehicels.

I've just looked up the car on Parkers, seems it is indeed a portly thing, 2,520kg! Same as a decent sized Vivaro sized van, or to put it into perspective that's more than 3 AlfaSuds! 3 of them!!! FFS, where's the sense in that.
And the list price when new? Over £83k!!! That free road tax is really reaping the benefits isn't it!

Car makers can still make cars economical and light and still have all the toys.
I recently MoT'ed a small car, Hyundai i10 or a KIA of similar size, may have even been a Suzuki but it escapes me now.
The point is though that it was a 5 door hatch with a useable everyday boot, not cramped inside front or rear, had the toys like electric windows/central locking/AC etc that we've come to expect yet with it's petrol engine it still managed to tip the scales at just over 900kgs as measured in my brake rollers which are calibrated regularly as connected to DVSA.
So why make a car that's 2 or near 3 times the size and weight but has little more in the way of space?
I for one don't want a laptop stuck to the dash, so once the Giulietta is done I'd rather get something simple like that, although it'll most liekly be another Giulietta assuming we can still get fuel without being lynched.
Giulietta JTD 170
Lancia Delta integrale
Lancia Dedra turbo
Renault Clio 197 RS

alfadave

Post by alfadave »

Did he check the range before she bought it?
Seems that quoted/real world electric car range can differ enormously?

alfadave

Post by alfadave »

........I suppose quoted and real world mpg figures vary too.

But filling up only takes a few minutes.

PS Don't get a kitchen off her.
If she can afford a car like that, she must be charging too much.........quite like her car really!

KevJTD

Post by KevJTD »

Quoted range for that car is 235 to 260 miles....but in the real world you need the heater on, the lights on, it rains so the wipers are needed. even charging your mobile phone whilst driving cuts into the range.
And of course as you rightly say, when you get low on fuel you get to fill up in under 5 mins, not wait for hours asuming you can find a charge point.

Not my cup of tea those big SUV type cars, pointless really. No more space inside than anything else yet take up a huge amount of road space, parking and being able to get out must be a real PITA.

If she can find cuatomers willing to pay for handbuilt bespoke Kitchens then fair play to her i say, at least the investment on your house adds value to it, not like people who spend £5k on a holiday and have nothing to show for it.
Not that I'm in any position to have a bespoke kitchen made though! But I'd rather spend money on that than have a new car sat losing money every day.
Giulietta JTD 170
Lancia Delta integrale
Lancia Dedra turbo
Renault Clio 197 RS

Kegsti66

Post by Kegsti66 »

Totally with you guys on this touchy subject.

The stupid mirror gimmick is beyond belief. As you say you have to make more of a conscious look to view it than when a mirror was on the door. l also hate led running lights that don't also illuminate the rear of a car, basically anything fitted that causes a driver to think they don't need to use common sense while driving, and that bloody stupid idea of switching on driving lights on one side as you turn :x :x

I read a list of highest depreciating hybrid cars recently and after three years high 40 to 60 k priced cars all seemed to be valued at £19,000. One Audi S8 electron was about £140 K and lost over £60,000 in three years.
One good thing is that the government have now said that they will soon have to pay road tax. Being that some are at least twice the weight of normal cars, they must do more wear and tear damage to roads.
Finally, all these people who say they charge for free at work or Tesco, do they really think that will continue?

Anyway, Happy New Year guys, hopefully catch up with some of you at a show sometime this year :D

KevJTD

Post by KevJTD »

Interestingly only tonight I was reading an online article from the boss of Citroen who has declared the SUV sector to be dead, too big and heavy to be converted to EV use as they are, they'd need huge batteries to have any kind of range which would only add to the problem. The environmentalists are jumping on their high horses already proclaining them to be unneccesarily heavy and fuel inefficient so they are apparently getting a bad reputation, sometimes takes a while to see the light!
The Citroen fella points out that they are far from aerodynamic which has a big effect on range, really? :roll: Make a car with the frontal area of a van and expect a different outcome? He went on to point out that we used to make cars of as little of 700kgs yet now 2,200kgs is the norm, so why make them so huge! I do hope that things do turn back to being more sensible.
Apparently in France they are judging EV cars on road tax cost by weight, so that shows they are thinking along the right lines, that may start to get rid of the stupid gimmicks and bits we really don't need.
Saying that though, GMC have built an EV version of the Hummer which weighs over 4,000 kgs so can't be driven on a car license unless like most of us on here you have a C1 catagory through Grandad rights on your license. So not everyone has got the message! But then they were always a bit out of the ordinary anyway.

Todays news that the proposed BritishVolt factory has gone makes me wonder if that was anything more than a corporate money grabbing scheme where they took Government grant money without actually doing anything much, my gut feeling on the whole EV saga, I still refuse to believe that it will happen as so much of it is just decades away from being ready, more that it's just the stick beimng used to beat manufacturers into doing something half way house. Triumph are making big noises about electric motorcycles not being the way, so much so that they are a long way along with renewable fuels for keeping using combustion engines. The Moto2 engines that they supply will next year be used with E40 fuel, with 100% reneweable the aim before the end of the decade.
Now, we know there are huge issues with Ethanol fuels for road use with the corrosion and damage to rubber items but Triumph are pressing for this to be the way forward rather than going electric. There's a world of difference between fuels being developed purely for race use and those for everyday road use, but it all filters down in time.
I for one would much rather have to change the whole fuel system on the integrale, fuel tank/lines/injectors etc to enable whatever blend of reneweable fuel may be available in the future rather than fit an electric motor in its place.
Getting the fuel companies on board is another issue says Steve Sargeant (Triumph Operations chief) yet I'd say that the vast majority of the petrol stations that are around now would be happy to have a future in much the same vien as they operate now where customers pull up and fill up rather than having to convert to havimg 50+ power points lined up, which lets be honest still wouldn't be enough. There's already reports of arguments and fights breaking out with accusations of queue jumping and people taking too long to recharge whilst multiple cars await there turn to plug in, imagine the carnage when we all have to do the same! It's for that reason aside from the other issues that I just can't see it ever, ever happening. It's just like the fella that really wants £2,500 for his car so you advertise it for £2,795 and have bartering room.
Councils and big companies do it all the time, ask for more than they need so once the other side batters them down a bit everyone gets what they feel is a good deal.
The government is saying this EV only thing by 2030 as a stick to make the makers do something, there will be a compromise along the way so all sides will feel they've come out on top.
Giulietta JTD 170
Lancia Delta integrale
Lancia Dedra turbo
Renault Clio 197 RS

Spacenut

Post by Spacenut »

Like you Kev I can't see everyone switching to EV. You only have to look at the on-street parking situation in Portsmouth, where you are lucky to find a parking space 3 streets away from your house, to realise that EVs can never replace combustion engines. It would be bad enough even with designated parking, with electric cables dangling out of windows and all along the pavement! Hopeless.

I have always maintained that I would rather walk than be forced into buying a new car, and I don't see that view changing as a result of this new EV legislation. My personal hope is that combustion fuels in the future will be 100% synthetic (e.g. Hydrogen and Carbon extracted from CO2), but this will be expensive initially, and so will be subject to availability (I cannot see the Government providing any investment into this, any more than they have invested in EV charging infrastructure).

But I simply cannot see every farmer in Africa or South East Asia, or the Indian subcontinent ditching their Diesel tractor for an EV - it just cannot happen. I cannot see every street in Mumbai or Katmandu jammed with EVs. Or 30,000 ton all-electric container ships plying the worlds oceans. As for light aviation, the industry has never abandoned leaded fuel, let alone embraced electric power, and even though electric aircraft are a reality today, the mass of the batteries eliminates any useful payload, and range anxiety takes on a whole new meaning when you are 10,000 feet above the ground :shock:

I think a future street will look a lot like a scene out of Blade Runner - flimsy, ultra-light all-electric wedges of cheese whirring about, yes, but interspersed with the odd '59 Caddy coupe burbling along running on some form of combustion fuel. Nobody is suggesting demolishing every old house in the country and replacing them with some hideous Post-Modern social housing scheme (they tried that in the 1960s and look what happened), and that is what they think will happen with cars? Sorry, it just isn't going to happen...

Lauren

LooLooSud33Spider

As we’re back in the climate change topic. Can some one please explain why we have to ditch our classics in the name of “saving the planet” when air travel and global commerce get free pass to do what they want
Just look at these two snapshots from Ship tracker and Flightradar24. Every marker is an airliner or a great big ship. This is going on all day everyday.
940D976F-C8C3-4361-AE21-DFBE01100CD7.jpeg
10F4CB2B-38CD-42CC-89B8-A7CD0714FE27.jpeg
Alfasud Ti 1984
Alfa Spider 2.0 Ts 916
Alfa Spider 20v Turbo

Veesix75

Post by Veesix75 »

Western politics works on emotion and outburst not logic, science and long term planning.

Hydrogen, probably fuel cell to power the shift to leccy motors.

Oil is a global power economy, but yes China and India will Hoover it all up while we wear sack cloth and bare feet until it all rebalances.

McDonald’s plastic straws got blamed by Greta for plastic in the sea, bet she eats loads of fish, but didn’t bother to check that 50% of plastic waste in the sea is from broken/discarded commercial fishing nets.

What are all the green loonies doing about the fact they cant recycle their car batteries, or the environmental devastation from mining the precious metals, and chemical processes/ factories to create them in the first place.

Don’t try and apply logic comrades, it’s futile, you will obey……..

KevJTD

Post by KevJTD »

Veesix75 wrote:
Wed Jan 18, 2023 7:57 pm
Western politics works on emotion and outburst not logic, science and long term planning.

Hydrogen, probably fuel cell to power the shift to leccy motors.

Oil is a global power economy, but yes China and India will Hoover it all up while we wear sack cloth and bare feet until it all rebalances.

McDonald’s plastic straws got blamed by Greta for plastic in the sea, bet she eats loads of fish, but didn’t bother to check that 50% of plastic waste in the sea is from broken/discarded commercial fishing nets.

What are all the green loonies doing about the fact they cant recycle their car batteries, or the environmental devastation from mining the precious metals, and chemical processes/ factories to create them in the first place.

Nail hit firmly on the head Tim, no point worrying too much, we don't have a say! :D
Giulietta JTD 170
Lancia Delta integrale
Lancia Dedra turbo
Renault Clio 197 RS

Spacenut

Post by Spacenut »

KevJTD wrote:
Thu Jan 19, 2023 12:22 am
Veesix75 wrote:
Wed Jan 18, 2023 7:57 pm
Nail hit firmly on the head Tim, no point worrying too much, we don't have a say! :D
Yup. That's democracy for you :?

KevJTD

Post by KevJTD »

Another one of those stupid heavyweight Audi in for mot today, just to show I wasn't exaggerating over the weight of them... Measured in the brake rollers, just me sat in it, I'm not that heavy honest!
Attachments
IMG_20230126_102554.jpg
Giulietta JTD 170
Lancia Delta integrale
Lancia Dedra turbo
Renault Clio 197 RS

junior

Post by junior »

No wonder they cannot get sensible mpg. Anyone new to the planet would think we didn't know about global warming.