Tax Break for Classics in the Budget!!

Whats on your mind? Alfa related or otherwise, the funnier the better!
Bluesuit

Tax Break for Classics in the Budget!!

Post by Bluesuit »

I just read that the Chancellor of the Exchequer, has reinstated the rolling tax exemption for classic cars in today's budget. It will apply to cars over 40 years old, meaning any car made before 1974, will be tax exempt and this will roll forward each year. So happy Sud owners, provided the next Government doesn't change the policy, you will begin to enjoy tax exempt status over the next 10 years! :D

Cheers

Ian
Alfa Mito 1.6JTDM-2 QV Line

KevJTD

Re: Tax Break for Classics in the Budget!!

Post by KevJTD »

Bluesuit wrote:I just read that the Chancellor of the Exchequer, has reinstated the rolling tax exemption for classic cars in today's budget. It will apply to cars over 40 years old, meaning any car made before 1974, will be tax exempt and this will roll forward each year. So happy Sud owners, provided the next Government doesn't change the policy, you will begin to enjoy tax exempt status over the next 10 years! :D

Cheers

Ian
yay :D

2 more years until my sud is tax free then, best get on and need some tax for the road :lol:
Giulietta JTD 170
Lancia Delta integrale
Lancia Flavia coupe 1.8 1963
Lancia Dedra turbo
Renault Clio 197 RS

I'm bad with people things
But I should have tried more

PETROLHEAD

Post by PETROLHEAD »

Flippin joke though,

What was wrong with the old rolling system?

Oh yeah, that was it, greed!
SHREW

I AM the Law!

Alfasud 1.7-16v, Charade Turbo SR, & The Dirty Diesels - GT Cloverleaf, 159 Ti Sportwagon, Saab 9-3 Sportwagon

Nige005

Post by Nige005 »

Better than nothing - just. :(

Spacenut

Post by Spacenut »

Yes, I remember the first time round - year one, about 80,000 cars went tax-free. No biggie, there's still 23 million paying through the nose. Year two - another 180,000 go tax-free. Hmm, this could start to make a difference. Year three, a quarter of a million tax-free drivers, this has got to stop!

So they made the definition of a "classic" anything manufactured (or first registered) prior to January 1973, leaving owners of Ferrari 375GTB/4s and the Austin Allegro owners club crying into their vodka-martinis.

Welcome back rolling tax exemption! I wonder how long it will last this time?

Lauren

KevJTD

Post by KevJTD »

Spacenut wrote:Yes, I remember the first time round - year one, about 80,000 cars went tax-free. No biggie, there's still 23 million paying through the nose. Year two - another 180,000 go tax-free. Hmm, this could start to make a difference. Year three, a quarter of a million tax-free drivers, this has got to stop!

So they made the definition of a "classic" anything manufactured (or first registered) prior to January 1973, leaving owners of Ferrari 375GTB/4s and the Austin Allegro owners club crying into their vodka-martinis.

Welcome back rolling tax exemption! I wonder how long it will last this time?

Lauren
hopefully until my '76 sud ti qualifies at least :)
Giulietta JTD 170
Lancia Delta integrale
Lancia Dedra turbo
Renault Clio 197 RS

PETROLHEAD

Post by PETROLHEAD »

are you that lucky Kev? really? :P

one point, is that virtually nothing made in the last 10 years will make it anywhere near classic status anyway, they're throw away vehicles, which means that however they hide behind the recycleability of them, is completely besides the point, because at 10 year old more than one dash warning light repair bill is enough to send them straight to the scrap yard as totally uneconomical to repair anyway.

so the rolling system will eventually dwindle out the numbers the other way i reckon, and level off to a degree :?:
SHREW

I AM the Law!

Alfasud 1.7-16v, Charade Turbo SR, & The Dirty Diesels - GT Cloverleaf, 159 Ti Sportwagon, Saab 9-3 Sportwagon

Nige005

Post by Nige005 »

Just read elsewhere that the applicable date is the date of manufacture and not the date of registration so you'll have to do a bit of research before you can claim even this paltry concession.

Seems to me that life in general is made more difficult than it needs to be or maybe it's just me that gets frustrated with jumping through hoops to do the most simple of things.

PETROLHEAD

Post by PETROLHEAD »

Nige005 wrote:Just read elsewhere that the applicable date is the date of manufacture and not the date of registration so you'll have to do a bit of research before you can claim even this paltry concession.

Seems to me that life in general is made more difficult than it needs to be or maybe it's just me that gets frustrated with jumping through hoops to do the most simple of things.

Now that is just downright nasty!

in an era that DVLA are closing ALL local branches and returning to just the welsh wonders at head office swansea, that system is going to put off a lot of people applying or even bothering to think about it, exactly what they intended to achieve of course.

2 steps forward, and 3 back, business as usual then :roll:
SHREW

I AM the Law!

KevJTD

Post by KevJTD »

Nige005 wrote:Just read elsewhere that the applicable date is the date of manufacture and not the date of registration so you'll have to do a bit of research before you can claim even this paltry concession.

i have an email from alfa registro stating that my cars build date is 2nd spetember 1976, wonder if that will help....
Giulietta JTD 170
Lancia Delta integrale
Lancia Dedra turbo
Renault Clio 197 RS

Bluesuit

Post by Bluesuit »

petrolhead wrote:Flippin joke though,

What was wrong with the old rolling system?

Oh yeah, that was it, greed!
the 25 years old system was great, at 40 years it'll be a while till my GTV gets there.

I have owned a bunch of Series 2 Land-Rovers that were tax exempt, that and £75 insurance, made them nice and cheap to own, if not run....

Spacenut

Post by Spacenut »

I think either date will work - if you go by date of first registration, you won't get any complaints from the government as you will effectively be paying tax for longer, as you can't register a car before you've built it!

I had a Plymouth Baccaruda as a daily runabout for a while (don't laugh, I could get 18mpg on a good day), it was originally imported into the UK from Belgium in 1978, so was on a T plate. I successfully proved to the DVLA that the date of manufacture was actually September 1970 and was issued an appropriate registration and was able to go tax-free. I don't see why the same system should not apply now :)

Shrew is right though, I can't see anything made in the last 20 years lasting long enough to achieve classic status (with the possible exception of a few 145s and 916 GTVs of course :D)

Lauren

KevJTD

Post by KevJTD »

just dug my logbook out, was registered 18th january 1977

can see an argument starting with dvla coming soon :D
Giulietta JTD 170
Lancia Delta integrale
Lancia Dedra turbo
Renault Clio 197 RS

PETROLHEAD

Post by PETROLHEAD »

Plymouth Barracuda!

O M G :o

I always have, and always will, love muscle car and mopar, even though i'm fanatical about quite the opposite :?

ive only ever managed a brief brush with owning such things, and tried many times at a more serious relaitionship, but a Barracuda, jees, that was high up the list Lauren,

very jealous!

but back to topic, this tax break, like so many policies and promises, from so many governments, is nothing short of utter rubbish in the long run, but i am glad that there will be at least a few that will benefit, and for that, i am pleased.
SHREW

I AM the Law!

Bluesuit

Post by Bluesuit »

Agree shrew, in a time when tax for the oldies gets ramped up in favour of new electric golf carts, at least there is some benefit and a little more encouragement to preserve the older ones, but 40 years is a long time to wait. You don't get much out of our state these days, something is better than nothing

Spacenut

Post by Spacenut »

petrolhead wrote:Plymouth Barracuda!

O M G :o

I always have, and always will, love muscle car and mopar, even though i'm fanatical about quite the opposite :?

very jealous!
Haha, if it makes you feel any better, "the fish" was REALLY rusty. 1971 E-body, export version. Only a 5.2 litre V8 and "slap-stik" auto, but it turned out to be the Belgian motor show display car and had every performance handling tweak in the Mopar arsenal - Hemi torsion bars, vented disc brakes, heavy duty rear springs, limited slip diff, pinion snubber(!)... for a hefty old bruiser, it had some poise!

Like you, I love American performance styling of the late '60s and early '70s almost as much as Italian - and when the two get together, like a Bizzarrini AMX/3 - heaven!

Sorry, need to get back on topic... :oops:

Lauren