C&CCC Article on Supercharged 33s

Whats on your mind? Alfa related or otherwise, the funnier the better!
adsblacksud

C&CCC Article on Supercharged 33s

Post by adsblacksud »

Evening,

Following a recent conversation with Lou which resulted in my needing to clear garage space, in my pile of old magazines I came upon this article spotlighting an Alfa Romeo UK Turbo conversion and a Westune Supercharging conversion which I trust you will be interested in.

Thanks,

Adam
Attachments
Westune Advert.jpg
Page 102.jpg
Page 103.jpg
Page 105.jpg

Kegsti66

Re: C&CCC Article on Supercharged 33s

Post by Kegsti66 »

Love it. 8-)

NUALFAMAN

Post by NUALFAMAN »

Very interesting, I used to have a S1 1490 on 13s, which looked very much like the 1300 in the pics, back in the late 80s. Never even considered turbo or supercharger for the boxer engines in the past.
Great article though and thanks for posting.
Alfa Romeo 33 (907)
Alfa Romeo Giulietta (940)

LooLooSud33Spider

Post by LooLooSud33Spider »

A72 HFR was Dads company car at the time. I had the job of taking a brand new 33 1.3 sc from the showroom and removing the bumpers to have them colour coded. We then took the heads off and fitted a pair of veloce cams. A set of Konis all round followed by alloy wheels with firestone S660 185-60-13 fitted. We also played with water injection which did show a performance increase in the dyno. The Brakes were bone stock non vented and if anything was the only area that would of improved the car further. The car was awesome and even though I had my own car (mk 1 Capri 1600 GT). Dad was more than happy for me to use it as my own in the evenings and weekends. I was only 19 at the time and this made me quite popular as a taxi for my friends going to and from the pub. I wasn’t really in to drinking as I preferred to drive. (im making up for that now)
I saw a solid 125 (it was only 1.3 after all) on a remote straight stretch over Belmont hill one evening on the way back from taking my friends band to a gig.
The car ran in this form for over 50k miles with no more than routine servicing. And even went out as a courtesy car to customers.

I also made the number plates !
Happy times.
Last edited by LooLooSud33Spider on Sun Jul 21, 2019 11:13 am, edited 4 times in total.
Alfasud Ti 1984
Alfa Spider 2.0 Ts 916
Alfa Spider 20v Turbo

Kegsti66

Post by Kegsti66 »

Do you know what happened to the car.?
Be great to find out it is squirrelled away in a garage............ just waiting. 8-)

LooLooSud33Spider

Hi Keith. After it’s time in the limelight the car was de supercharged and sold.
We lost track of the car until the early 90s when the then owner brought it to us for some work. The alloys had gone and sadly it had become just another old 33 and wasn’t ageing well with some rather established corrosion to the rear arches and door bottoms. The interior was not a pleasant place to sit
either. According to DVLA it hasn’t been taxed since 93 so I guess it’s passed to the other side. I may even be washing my pants in it as we speak.
Of course if that is not the case I would certainly like to know as id love to find it and rescue it.
Lou
Last edited by LooLooSud33Spider on Sat Jul 20, 2019 3:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Alfasud Ti 1984
Alfa Spider 2.0 Ts 916
Alfa Spider 20v Turbo

Kegsti66

Post by Kegsti66 »

That is a shame to hear.
Did you ever fit the kit to any other cars, or did it remain a one off?

LooLooSud33Spider

No to my knowledge it was never fitted to another car and I’m not sure what happened to the original kit. That original kit used a Magnusson blower. I’ve got one of the Sprintex Kits here that I may put on the Sud. Just For shits & giggles
Alfasud Ti 1984
Alfa Spider 2.0 Ts 916
Alfa Spider 20v Turbo