Peter West 1934-2018

Whats on your mind? Alfa related or otherwise, the funnier the better!
LooLooSud33Spider

Peter West 1934-2018

Post by LooLooSud33Spider »

Dear All
It is with great sadness that I have to announce the sad passing of my father Mr Peter West.
I’m aware that some forum members may not know who he was. In brief He was the driving force behind Westune of Bolton. We were an Alfa main dealer from the early 70’s through to 1985.
When the new Alfasud was launched he was impressed by the dynamics of innovative Little Alfa and immediately saw the competition potential. Over the years he gained a reputation as something of an expert on all things
Alfa with contacts being made all over the world as they sought his advice on problems on all models; from the 105 series all the way to the intoxicating Montreal and of course the Sud and 33.
To this end he became closely involved with the development, building and running of a number of the Alfa Romeo Dealer team Suds including the cars of John Myerscough and Rex Greenslade who was the technical editor for Motor magazine at the time. Over the last few years he had started to suffer from ill health and he finally passed away in Bolton Royal hospital last Thursday.

Louise West.
789CA95E-91CF-44F1-8EA9-F8325AFC46D7.jpeg
Alfasud Ti 1984
Alfa Spider 2.0 Ts 916
Alfa Spider 20v Turbo

Veesix75

Re: Peter West 1934-2018

Post by Veesix75 »

I’m sure the thoughts of all forum members will be with and your family Louise.

While it’s never easy at this time, just reading your words describes what must have been exciting, rewarding, and no doubt hard working times with the racers and dealer teams, I’m sure your dad and yourself loved those times.

Take care and keep your dads passion going via your own projects.

alfadave

Post by alfadave »

Louise, I echo Tim's comments.
Been through the same myself in the last few years, and its an upsetting experience.

I only met Peter once.
I joined a construction company who offered me a car allowance and a petrol card.
So, a 75 three litre it had to be!

I rang Peter, and asked if he knew of anything.
But, being impatient, I saw one in the AROC mag, and dived in for it.

Turned out to be a tired example, thrashed engine,prop out of balance,dodgy suspension.

Peter rang a few days later.....he'd found an excellent example with Colin Wing at Alfa Services...who I didn't know.

I called in to see Peter with the duffer I'd bought, he test drove it, and gave me a right bollocking for buying it......first time I'd met him!

The only saving grace was that I discovered that Colin had Tim Dacombe's ex racer rolling shell for sale.....I bought that, and along with a ti MoT failure, put together my first sud.

Keep your chin up Lou,

All the best,
Dave

Kegsti66

Post by Kegsti66 »

Sorry to hear your loss Louise.
I personally didn't know your father, but he obviously had a massive influence on you and all the people who met him. As Tim said, keep his passion alive with your own projects and happy memories.

KevJTD

Post by KevJTD »

Didn't know your Dad Lou, but thank you for sharing with us.
Difficult times I'm sure, we all seem to be at the age where Parents are next, I long since lost all my Grandparents, both In-law parents gone. Luckily my Mum and Dad are still with us despite heart problems for both.

Nothing much any of us can say as a comfort. :(
Giulietta JTD 170
Lancia Delta integrale
Lancia Flavia coupe 1.8 1963
Lancia Dedra turbo
Renault Clio 197 RS

I'm bad with people things
But I should have tried more

LooLooSud33Spider

Post by LooLooSud33Spider »

Thank you all your kind words at this most difficult of times.
Louise.
Alfasud Ti 1984
Alfa Spider 2.0 Ts 916
Alfa Spider 20v Turbo

PETROLHEAD

Post by PETROLHEAD »

Sad news indeed, and our thoughts are with you.

A huge personal loss, and notably to the whole Alfa circus too.

Best wishes and take care from all at Classic Alfa Forum...
SHREW

I AM the Law!

Alfasud 1.7-16v, Charade Turbo SR, & The Dirty Diesels - GT Cloverleaf, 159 Ti Sportwagon, Saab 9-3 Sportwagon

Johnboy

Post by Johnboy »

Sorry for your loss RIP