Storing panels

Whats on your mind? Alfa related or otherwise, the funnier the better!
Veesix75

Storing panels

Post by Veesix75 »

Slightly dumb question perhaps, but what's the best way to store panels, especially new ones in just the black paint they come with.

Obviously dry, but wrapped, or not wrapped in anything. I need to store some in my loft, and lofts do get a lot of heat fluctuation and even some condensation if the vents are not clear so would wrapped be better than just left open?

Thanks

Alfasixnut

Re: Storing panels

Post by Alfasixnut »

I think I would put a coat of oil or waxoil and wrap them in old sheets then in black bin liners.

Johnboy

Post by Johnboy »

Evening chaps

One trick the jet ski boys do to protect there skis from condensation, is to fill an ice cream container with table salt . this sucks all the moisture out of the air ;)
Powered by the dark side
Gt jtdm blackline
S2 33 cl veloce 16v sleeping
Freestyle superjet jetski

PETROLHEAD

Post by PETROLHEAD »

I understand the principal,

But It'd be a brave man to store his beloved italian body panels near a box of salt! :lol: :lol: :lol:

personally, and for clear reasons, having seen the pathetic standard black coating turn to dust and allow rust to form in abundance in time, i would strip them to bare metal and powder coat in a plain matt black.

its also a great base coat to sand and paint on on the future, but if anything is going to last, i'd put my money on that process winning due to the complete eradication of any surface issues already present, the heat and drying nature of the powder coat cook and cure process, and the durability of the finished product.

That'd be me, but i would wouldn't I?
SHREW

I AM the Law!

Alfasud 1.7-16v, Charade Turbo SR, & The Dirty Diesels - GT Cloverleaf, 159 Ti Sportwagon, Saab 9-3 Sportwagon

justsuds

Post by justsuds »

powder coat in zinc rich Shrew ? - I have wondered about doing this but wasn't sure about painting on top, so you reckon no problem doing that ?
john.

suds

Post by suds »

I use this its a very thin wax oil with a slight green colour so you know were you have sprayed :)
dont buff just leave as it is theres another gulf product thats a bit more industrial to this i will try and find it :)
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Gulf-MultiAut ... 4abd502d21
alfasud 1.5 ti
alfasud 1.3 super
156 2.0ltr
Fiat Croma 1.9jtd

Veesix75

Post by Veesix75 »

Thanks all for the replies.

PETROLHEAD

Post by PETROLHEAD »

justsuds wrote:powder coat in zinc rich Shrew ? - I have wondered about doing this but wasn't sure about painting on top, so you reckon no problem doing that ?
john.
Powder coat is a brilliant base for wet paint on top in the future, and of course if the workpiece, be it a thin panel, or alloy wheel is shotblasted first, you simply won't get a cleaner component, or a better "key" to the surface for adhesion.

A simple sand of the powder finish leaves you a notably thick and extremely durable base for painting on top, and this is how we've been doing some alloy wheels that really needed the full hit because of poor condition, but had to be a precise colour match at the end, so blast them, powder coat and cook them, sand and wet paint on top, and its beautiful!

In fact when done properly, it ends up better finish than just wet paints alone!

Don't tell me you're thinking about the contents of your rafters John? It'd take till Christmas to shotblast that lot! :o ha ha!!!

Maybe a select choice pieces eh?

Seriously, if i could get my whole Sud in the oven, and its close, i'd do the whole shell,

it'd be brilliant!
SHREW

I AM the Law!

Alfasud 1.7-16v, Charade Turbo SR, & The Dirty Diesels - GT Cloverleaf, 159 Ti Sportwagon, Saab 9-3 Sportwagon

Sud 145

Post by Sud 145 »

A powder coated body shell, now that would be awesome. 8-)

Kermit

Post by Kermit »

As I work in the Ali window trade, 6 x 2 metre ovens are the norm
Just check out powder coaters for Aluminium and you'll find loads - the major problem is more in the "shot blasting" of shells as if they use the wrong grade they maybe no shell left :!: :!:
H