Looking for good Insurance Company

sudboy1490

Looking for good Insurance Company

Post by sudboy1490 »

Hey guys am looking to get better insurance and just wondering what experiences anyones had in getting decent cover? I know there's a specific post for insurance in another section on the site but am not sure how many members have seen it so i asked kev if i could post one here in the alfasud/33 section. Thing is am looking for insurance that offers good agreed valuation and breakdown cover for a reasonable cost? Until last year i was with Peter Best Insurance for 8yrs and found them to be very good, with a competitive price, excellent agreed valuation and breakdown cover included. Only problem is the insurance company i was insured by "ecclesiastical" came out of the classic car market and the other company's used by Peter Best won't insure me as am a courier. So last year i got on the comparison sites and found Flux Direct who were very cheap and offered agreed valuation and multi car discount but no breakdown cover. Only problem is after paying £15 for the agreed valuation, sending in the photos, they only offered a low value which wouldn't cover the cost of a rebuild if the worst happened. As we all know body panels, good work and paint job don't come cheap "probably over 4k anyway".

Am hoping with the increase in asking prices on the internet over the past year that flux direct might give a better agreed valuation this year but if not am hoping someone can point me toward a better company??

Any ideas lads? anyone found the perfect company? :roll:

col

Kegsti66

Re: Looking for good Insurance Company

Post by Kegsti66 »

Hi Col,
I have mine insured by Highway (part of Liverpool Victoria). It is through Chris Knott and I have agreed value of 8k at present. Just need to sent about half a dozen good photos as proof if condition.
I have 3000 mile limit, and was told they will up it in increments of 1000 if needed.
I plan to up the value on renewal (due in May) but I paid £135 for this last year. I also added breakdown cover for another £60.
Thankfully, I haven't needed their services, but I am sure the service is good if it is encouraged by Alfa Owners Club.
This is my second year with them.
Hope this helps,
Keith

sudboy1490

Post by sudboy1490 »

Thanks Keith thats definitely more like it for agreed valuation :)

col

Kegsti66

Post by Kegsti66 »

No probs mate,
Like I said, I plan to see if they will up it a bit as I have been advised that may be low.
Trouble is when you do all the work yourself, you have no receipts of labour and it was my hobby but to pay for what I did as a customer it would cost probably 15 - 20k ?? I really don't know. :shock:
It is all numbers I guess. :D

sudboy1490

Post by sudboy1490 »

Got to be 15 - 20k hasn't it keith, iv got well over 1000 hrs in mine, a decent restoration place would do it in a lot less time i suppose but maybe charge up to £40 per hour wouldn't they? Am wanting to get the white one insured for 10k and the other two for about 8. I'll try Flux Direct again and see if i can get a better valuation this year, if not ill try chris knott and see what they can do. I'v also got a 2.4 diesel Brera coming up for renewal so itll be interesting what they can do on that compared to Flux Direct.

KevJTD

Post by KevJTD »

i was given some sound advice my mal nicholson of trentside classics some years back when we were on about agreed values, when i had VJM.
he says don't put the value of the car as what you think it's worth, you need to value it at what it would cost for it to be fully restored again by a professional outfit. aftre all, if it was pranged would you want to go through it all again without charging for your time? or even doing it all again! once is often more than enough times to do a full rsto

i've had good quotes from lancaster insurance before

http://www.lancasterinsurance.co.uk/

my sud now is insured with chris knott, they did me a good deal on the 147 & sud
Giulietta JTD 170
Lancia Delta integrale
Lancia Flavia coupe 1.8 1963
Lancia Dedra turbo
Renault Clio 197 RS

I'm bad with people things
But I should have tried more

KevJTD

Post by KevJTD »

if you are needing to insure the brera mate it's well worth talking to chris knott.

my 147 was a few quid over the cheapo on line sites but as i insured that car they gave me a £20 discount on the sud.
it was under £100 for the year inc agreed value.
haven't put a high figure on the value yet, which i know i should, as it's not compltet. once i have the pix (can't do many interior shots yet!) then i'll talk to them again.
seem very helpful on the 'phone...
Giulietta JTD 170
Lancia Delta integrale
Lancia Dedra turbo
Renault Clio 197 RS

sudboy1490

Post by sudboy1490 »

yeah kev thats exactly what am looking at, getting them insured for enough to cover any kind of rebuild cost if the worst ever happened. No parts or panels are cheap for these cars are they? :?

col

Sud 145

Post by Sud 145 »

Same as Kev with Chris Knott did a good deal on combined Sud and 145. Going on what Kev says will look at upping the agreed valuation next year.

sudboy1490

Post by sudboy1490 »

Sounds good kev ill see what they can do at chris knott before i renew any of them, my white one was 88 quid with flux but thats with no agreed valuation of breakdown cover. I got a quote from footman james and that came in at £200 per car but that was with breakdown cover and the valuations i wanted. sounded a little expensive really!!

KevJTD

Post by KevJTD »

didn't get any breakdown cover on the policy though.
i am an AA member which covers me for whatever car i'm in so instead of covering all the cars it's just the one i'm in, which is the one likely to breakdown if the others are sat at home! :D
Giulietta JTD 170
Lancia Delta integrale
Lancia Dedra turbo
Renault Clio 197 RS

its_welshy

Post by its_welshy »

Worth having a look at LV, I found them cheapest with an agreed valuation.

Mine came in at £109 with an agreed value of £8000, 3k miles a year.

sudboy1490

Post by sudboy1490 »

cheers welshy thats a crackin deal, i'll give them a try :)

i found a couple of other company's am gonna give a call...

Lancaster who offer a single policy for multiple cars along with agreed valuation and Carole Nash who offer free breakdown cover, agreed valuation and good discounts for multicar cover.

sudboy1490

Post by sudboy1490 »

Bit of an update on the insurance front today lads, i just got my Flux Direct renawal quote and unfortunately its way over priced so i won't be renewing.

I contacted Lancaster and am awaiting a call with the quote for all 3 cars on one policy.

But the big surprise is Aviva through Carol Nash - With 3 cars on one policy in an alarmed garage with breakdown cover included, agreed valuation of 10k each, european cover included, 100k legal, and after mentioning i use alfa forums online they gave me the 10% club discount as well as the multicar discount. "Oh and that was for 3k miles each car and they'll also include any spares you have"..

It came in at £355 so am well impressed to get it for under £120 each car :D

To be honest i think getting all that for that price will take some beating so probably won't waste anymore time phoning round. Especially when it was so easy to get the quote and the girl i talked to was spot on ;)

Has anyone heard anything good or bad about Carol Nash insurance, am i potentially heading for disaster? :?

vecchioalfa

Post by vecchioalfa »

Hi Colin,
Carol Nash are a good company, Had many bikes insured with them over the years and a few classics in the past as well, never needed to made a claim but their admin. & phones were always very good and never had any problems with them taking wrong payments etc.
Until you make a claim with a company all you have to go on is admin & phone waiting times etc. really which for me was always spot on.
You say you have 3 cars! I thought you only had 2 suds you dark horse, come clean, what cars do you have exactly...... :D The white sud & what else....?
Cheers
Adi

sudboy1490

Post by sudboy1490 »

Thats good to hear Adi, i think i'll be ok with Carol Nash :)

You must have been off the sites for the last couple of years have you Adi? iv had a couple of threads on about a 76 ti i bought a couple of yrs ago, thats probably the one you don't know about? Or maybe a s2 ti iv had for 9yrs?

col

vecchioalfa

Post by vecchioalfa »

Hi Col,
I remember your restoration thread on your white SI Ti you did on the other site and remember you had SII car as well at the same time but didn't know you had a 3rd car, my SI Ti restoration has become a massive job, maybe you've seen the thread! i'm only on this site which has grown to be the biggest & best for us sud owners ;)

sudboy1490

Post by sudboy1490 »

Ah right Adi the threads I had on the my car were on "the other site" and yeah iv seen your resto thread mainly on the "the other site" but you've recently restarted work on it again haven't you? And yeah this is a much better home for us alfisti isn't it :) i was late to join but eventually took the plunge! Kev and shrew done a great job :)

vecchioalfa

Post by vecchioalfa »

sudboy1490 wrote:Ah right Adi the threads I had on the my car were on "the other site" and yeah iv seen your resto thread mainly on the "the other site" but you've recently restarted work on it again haven't you? And yeah this is a much better home for us alfisti isn't it :) i was late to join but eventually took the plunge! Kev and shrew done a great job :)
Yes they have done a grand job. My car has turned into such a big job and so time consuming that so many other jobs have come along since I started it, including a family house renovation, work on other cars etc. and now next week we are moving house so the car needs to be moved! thats life I guess, looking forward to it being finished one day soon :lol: