1500ti restoration. Ex racer

junior

1500ti restoration. Ex racer

Post by junior »

Just working out how to put photo's on the forum so have a couple to show what I am up to especially to those who have so kindly helped me with advice, skills and parts.
The first picture is of the car in my shed which is often full, the person pictured is of normal height which shows how low the car is to the extant it would not get off my drive. So that has to alter. He looks so pleased as we struggled to get it off his trailer !!!

The picture of the engine is as it has come out and cannot be used as it is so radically altered for running the turbo set up.
Gearbox is fine, 5 speed, with a limited slip diff.

smiffy 33

Re: 1500ti restoration. Ex racer

Post by smiffy 33 »

Looks great, shame you have to higher the suspension looks good sitting that low. Love the exhaust exit that's on my to do list for the 33

Veesix75

Post by Veesix75 »

Welcome James, you will get a lot of help and interest in your car from the forum.

I'm sure just about any question you may have will get a response / answer.

It's good to see another series 1 being saved.

Tim

Kegsti66

Post by Kegsti66 »

James , Good to see your car again, I contacted you when you bought it. (door trim)
Good luck with the build glad you're on this site.
Keith.

NEG

Post by NEG »

Excellent! Although why has the gearbox extension been attacked with a drill? Can't see it would save that much weight...

KevJTD

Post by KevJTD »

gearbox extension is a surprisingly heavy item. probably halved the weight by drilling those holes.
although beware, i've seen them break with less holes than that!
Giulietta JTD 170
Lancia Delta integrale
Lancia Flavia coupe 1.8 1963
Lancia Dedra turbo
Renault Clio 197 RS

I'm bad with people things
But I should have tried more

KevJTD

Post by KevJTD »

very unusual calipers too, with vented inboard discs. very rare items
Giulietta JTD 170
Lancia Delta integrale
Lancia Dedra turbo
Renault Clio 197 RS

junior

Post by junior »

Yes. To get at the calipers the disc had to come off and they fastened on with allen headed bolts. These were screwed through the discs then had nuts

on the back that were welded to the disc, so fun and games grinding them off.

After all that the Lockheed callipers had to go away with the gearbox to be taken off and then sent back again to be refitted when the gearbox is finished. They end up expensive calipers just in postage and insurance.

They are also quite modified as the Droitwich firm who redid the brakes were impressed by the work.

The £80 + for a set of pads was a bit of a shock, but to be expected when one thinks about it.

The rears are mini drums which was a surprise again. They had me thinking hard till Will Dick thought that they might be and then identified them correctly with an e mail.

Thanks for all the friendly comments chaps. Will keep you informed.

Alfa_Japan

Post by Alfa_Japan »

Congrats on this excellent purchase. What is your intent with this car? Keep it more or less as a less extreme racer or restore it to factory original spec.? Pretty amazing to see several S1 TI's have survived in the not so friendly climate in the UK.

P.S. would you by any chance be able to post a picture of the inside of your door? In my restoration project I need information about the location, geometry and size of the holes for the door card assembly. My doors are unfortunately 3rd series doors and are therefore most probably different in this aspect.
Registro Alfasud Giardinetta internazionale (R.A.G.i.)
http://www.alfasud-giardinetta.net/

Spacenut

Post by Spacenut »

What a fantastic project! I love the old-skool turbo motor - custom log manifold, with what looks like a blown twin-choke carburettor (standard 32 DIR?). Often blown carbs needed special seals and floats to stop them being damaged by overpressure. Shame the turbo can't be retained, but I guess the lag would have been horrendous!

If the rest of the shell has been engineered to the same standards as the engine and drivetrain this will be such a great car when it's done 8-)

More pictures please!

Lauren

Veesix75

Post by Veesix75 »

James, I saw your axle picture on the AROC forum, I hope you dont mind, but I've posted it here to see what the chaps think.

Photo below is of the sud axle on James' (junior) Sud, it has a bow in it, James has been told it may be for the toe in on the rear.

I might be imagining this, but I seem to remember having a sud axle that looked the same. I havn't seen one in the flesh for a long time, but from the angle James has taken the photo I'm sure I had a Sud axle that was the same as the picture. The common theme was that the sud axle I had was also from a racer.

Kev - the axle I'm talking about I gave you all that time ago, it was painted metallic tourquoise blue !

So, the question is, did James and myself have axles that were bent for racing, or is this a normal Sud axle?
Sud Axle.JPG

KevJTD

Post by KevJTD »

is that not the top of the beam tim? brake pipe clip on top?
if so the bend would give toe out, which i guess would improve turn in to the corner?
really can't say if i've noticed them being straight or not to be honest, i'll do some digging.

i think that axle you gave me was donated to ade for a spare for his 33 rally car, he's running sud stuff on it.
Giulietta JTD 170
Lancia Delta integrale
Lancia Dedra turbo
Renault Clio 197 RS

KevJTD

Post by KevJTD »

found a pic but not good enough to say for sure, but does look to have a little bend to it...
Attachments
P100414_17.39.jpg
Giulietta JTD 170
Lancia Delta integrale
Lancia Dedra turbo
Renault Clio 197 RS

Kegsti66

Post by Kegsti66 »

I noticed mine was bent as well when I removed it, is that of any help ?
My car also has chassis rails running from the bulkhead suspension mounts under the footwells :shock:
Attachments
Driver side floor 337.jpg
Parts reconditioning 015.jpg

Veesix75

Post by Veesix75 »

I think that the axle in James' picture looks like a standard shaped axle, and I reckon I can see the same bow in both axles that Kev and Keith have posted?

Whether James' is more pronounced is difficult to see.

My 33 axles were shimmed at the hubs to give toe and camber, but with enough heat it would be possible to bend the beam in the centre.

It would give toe out Kev, you are right.

PETROLHEAD

Post by PETROLHEAD »

Im pretty sure it's a factory bend, I've never seen one without the kink to it, but whether there is more effort made to set a toe out or camber setting at the hub mount plates im not sure,

We'd need to measure the angles of the disc to disc surfaces for a reading off the car I guess?
SHREW

I AM the Law!

Alfasud 1.7-16v, Charade Turbo SR, & The Dirty Diesels - GT Cloverleaf, 159 Ti Sportwagon, Saab 9-3 Sportwagon

Veesix75

Post by Veesix75 »

I agree Shrew, the beam has a factory curve in it, I can remember looking at axles way back when I had my first Sud racer. Once off the car it was easy to see it.

Anyhow, James looks like he is re-fitting the axle which is th right decision.

Johnboy

Post by Johnboy »

Wow what a great project chap , looking forward to this build 8-)