Dutch Sud Giardinetta restoration

Alfasam

Dutch Sud Giardinetta restoration

Post by Alfasam »

Here is a very interesting website run by a Dutch national about the restoration of his Sud Giardinetta. Some of you may well know of it allready, but for those that don't it makes an interesting read.

Link: http://alfasud-giardinetta.net/

Always fancied one of these due to their rarity in the UK. First saw one in the car park at Prescott Hill Climb in the late 1980's, it was a Series 1 in Alfa red.
I think Steve Parry (aka Mr Sud) sold a fairly rusty white South African sourced example on Ebay a couple of years back, but I have not heard any more about it since. Does anyone know who purchased it and whether or not it is being restored?
There was another very rusty Giardinetta at Rusper Alfa near Gatwick about 6 years ago, but don't know what happened to it.
Also, is anyone aware of a Giardinetta that is up and running in the UK?

PETROLHEAD

Re: Dutch Sud Giardinetta restoration

Post by PETROLHEAD »

I'd love a Giardinatta for a day to day runaround, make a lovely parts collector wouldn't it :P
SHREW

I AM the Law!

Alfasud 1.7-16v, Charade Turbo SR, & The Dirty Diesels - GT Cloverleaf, 159 Ti Sportwagon, Saab 9-3 Sportwagon

Kegsti66

Post by Kegsti66 »

One went on ebay about two years ago boys.

KevJTD

Post by KevJTD »

i remember talking to peter grummit of alfasud parts online about the giardinetta as i'd been interested in buying it....pretty sure he bought it for a spares car as he has a few customers awaiting parts....but i'm not at all sure it's the same one i'd been looking at that was sold a couple of years back.....i do have some pics somewhere of the one i equired about...
Giulietta JTD 170
Lancia Delta integrale
Lancia Flavia coupe 1.8 1963
Lancia Dedra turbo
Renault Clio 197 RS

I'm bad with people things
But I should have tried more

SteffenJ3316V

Post by SteffenJ3316V »

Was it ever made in RHD?

vecchioalfa

Post by vecchioalfa »

SteffenJ3316V wrote:Was it ever made in RHD?
Pretty sure it was only in LHD as it was never officially exported to RHD markets, I remember a very rusty red one on e-bay a few years ago in Scotland I seem to remember, think it made about 300 quid or so

KevJTD

Post by KevJTD »

i have seen RHD ones, but whether they were built that way from new or converted i don't know.
seem to remember that cars were on sale in south africa though so that is probably where they came from in RHD form?
they were never officially available for sale in UK though
Giulietta JTD 170
Lancia Delta integrale
Lancia Dedra turbo
Renault Clio 197 RS

vecchioalfa

Post by vecchioalfa »

KevJTD wrote:i have seen RHD ones, but whether they were built that way from new or converted i don't know.
seem to remember that cars were on sale in south africa though so that is probably where they came from in RHD form?
they were never officially available for sale in UK though
Yes you could be right there mate with South Africa, there very rare though in LHD or RHD form as we know

KevJTD

Post by KevJTD »

this is the one i enquires about some years ago, quite fancied it actually but seemed a bit too far gone on the chassis rails etc
Attachments
032.JPG
sud giar 2.JPG
sud giar 3.JPG
sud giar 4.JPG
sud giar 5.JPG
sud giar 6.JPG
sud giar 7.JPG
sud giar 8.JPG
Giulietta JTD 170
Lancia Delta integrale
Lancia Dedra turbo
Renault Clio 197 RS

vecchioalfa

Post by vecchioalfa »

That's the one I remember too, RHD but as you say could have been a conversion from LHD at some point, don't know what happened to it

KevJTD

Post by KevJTD »

vecchioalfa wrote:That's the one I remember too, RHD but as you say could have been a conversion from LHD at some point, don't know what happened to it
99% sure this was the one that peter of alfasud parts bought, remember talking to him about it at the time.
if i recall it got broken up for parts for other giardinettas
Giulietta JTD 170
Lancia Delta integrale
Lancia Dedra turbo
Renault Clio 197 RS

Alfa_Japan

Post by Alfa_Japan »

The Giardinetta was converted into a RHD version for the South African market in the Alfa Romeo factory in Brits South Africa in 1982. Non sold vehicles and parts from Europe were shipped to South Africa as knock down kits. Some local content was added for tax reasons but for the rest it was merely an assembly of parts that were left in Europe after the manufacturing of the Giardinetta stopped at the end of 1980 or beginning of 1981.

One UK dealer heard of the South African Giardinettas with RHD conversion in the early eighties and imported a small batch of them to the UK. Although not officially sold in the UK this particular operation led to the fact that some were actually sold in the UK. I guess none of them are left?? If you look at the "register" section on the website you will find a few UK vehicles. In case any of you have additional information please feel free to inform so I can complement or correct the register.

For those of you sincerely interested in Giardinetta's you can have a look at the South African auction sites "Gumtree", "Junkmail" or "OLX". Every now and then some Giardinetta's appear for very affordable prices, but then of course you have to add the shipping costs to the UK.
Registro Alfasud Giardinetta internazionale (R.A.G.i.)
http://www.alfasud-giardinetta.net/

Alfa_Japan

Post by Alfa_Japan »

With regards to the UK Giardinetta discussed in this thread it's VIN 8G00619 (register number #023). The car was offered for sale in 2010. As far as I am informed it was bought by Peter from Alfasud parts to serve as parts donor.
Registro Alfasud Giardinetta internazionale (R.A.G.i.)
http://www.alfasud-giardinetta.net/