Sud Brakes

GTV

Sud Brakes

Post by GTV »

Folks as some of you have probably tackled this before, The 1.5 green cloverleaf I have has tired brakes, I have to stamp on them to stop. Is there anyway to make the inboard set up work well without spending a fortune in upgrades or complicated replacement set up.
I am considering new discs and pads, refurbing the calipers and possible brake hoses and brake pipes. Am I far off the mark or anything else I should consider. Cheers

vecchioalfa

Re: Sud Brakes

Post by vecchioalfa »

Maybe just refurbish everything as the standard set up should be more than adequate, its probably a bit of everything causing poor brakes, change the master cylinder for sure, you could also have a seized piston somewhere

PETROLHEAD

Post by PETROLHEAD »

vecchioalfa wrote:Maybe just refurbish everything as the standard set up should be more than adequate, its probably a bit of everything causing poor brakes, change the master cylinder for sure, you could also have a seized piston somewhere

I agree with Adi here 100%.

There are upgrades available for inboard, mostly incredibly hard to source and/or very expensive.

BUT,

a well serviced stock set up actually works well enough for a road going Sud i reckon.

my old S3 Ti weren't in the the best tip top condition if i'm honest, poorly adjust handbrake, cheap pads, old discs etc, but a very rudemental clean up and check over had them stopping very well indeed for no more cost than an afternoon and some elbow grease, and i don't think the backs were doing doing much at all!

if overhauled, fresh decent pads, and you know your lines, fluid and master cylinder are good, you should be pretty pleased with them unless you're driving pretty hard very often.

i'd have a good check round for weakness's before thinking about upgrades, and let us know what you find?

good luck :D
SHREW

I AM the Law!

Alfasud 1.7-16v, Charade Turbo SR, & The Dirty Diesels - GT Cloverleaf, 159 Ti Sportwagon, Saab 9-3 Sportwagon

GTV

Post by GTV »

Thanks Chaps, I get the impression in the last 6 years the car had had little spent on it. I'm having my mechanic give it a once over in a week or so. I do hate cheap crappy brake discs, are they easy to get hold of. I have been in the world of 145's and alfetta's for a long time so am out of touch with what's available for Sud's. Another quick question Windscreens were very rare once upon a time ago, is that still the case?

PETROLHEAD

Post by PETROLHEAD »

neither brakes or windscreens are common place, but they are out there, and mostly reasonably priced too.

if you let me know which brake discs style you have, 4 bolt or more, i'll see what what i have aswell as others here i'm sure.

as for windscreens, they and their sources have been discussed and named on this forum in another thread somewhere, which will probably help you source and identify the right one for your car.

happy shopping!
SHREW

I AM the Law!

Alfasud 1.7-16v, Charade Turbo SR, & The Dirty Diesels - GT Cloverleaf, 159 Ti Sportwagon, Saab 9-3 Sportwagon

sud_1.5ti

Post by sud_1.5ti »

i rebuild my front and rear calippers, changed the hoses and lines. it's all standard setup.
works perfect. i don't think a sud with standard engine needs an upgrade.