1800 8v with Nissan pistons.

bert308

1800 8v with Nissan pistons.

Post by bert308 »

Having read somewhere about some Nissan pistons suitable for our boxers, I started looking in this catalogue:
http://www.wiseco.com/Catalogs/SportCom ... atalog.pdf
(note Wiseco offers 88 mm forged pistons for our 16v boxers and not really expensive if you search the part nr you'll find USA sellers)
I found suitable pistons page 68, they are for the Nissan KE24DE engine as found in anonymous sedans and pickups that I don't think we appreciate here in Europe, but I think we know the 240SX.
Anyway they are normally 89mm with a compression height 1mm lower than the 1700 boxer 8v pistons. And the piston pin is the exact same 21mm. This is the Wiseco catalogue but I wouldn't want/need forged pistons as they are stronger but not lighter and piston clearance at cold engine needs to be greater and they make more noise then until they reach operating temperature. I searched Nissans forums and standard cast pistons are supposed to be good for 700HP in aftermarket turbo applications. So I looked for a set and found them at ebay, very cheap, here is were I got them from:
http://www.ebay.de/itm/200949279274
Only us$106 for a set with new rings&pins! With shipping and duties they cost me Euro 120 delivered at my door. And I researched the NPR brand, they are good and an OEM supplier, economics of scale probably make the low price possible.
Some pics of the pistons and compared with a 1700 8V boxer piston.
DSC00155.JPG
DSC00162.JPG
DSC00164.JPG
Despite being larger, they are also 40 grams lighter and the pins are 10 grams lighter (bigger inside hole)
DSC00166.JPG
Fits an Alfa rod like it belongs there:
DSC00174.JPG
So now soon I'll take the pistons and some worn 1700 block to my local machine shop and have them bore the block for the 89mm pistons. With a 1700 crank this will give 1800 cc.
For the brave amongst us, the pistons are also available in 89.5 and 90 mm for the same price, but the general consensus seems to be 89 is the limit for dependable long time use in the Alfa boxer.
Now the compression height is 1mm lower and the chamber in the piston is about the same size as the Alfa piston. I have a very nice set of 1500 105hp "flat" heads (including good fast road C&B) that are flowed and enlarged for 40mm carbs, better in and out channels than the regular 1700 8v heads with chamber in head. The flat heads will more than compensate for the 1mm less compression height from the Nissan pistons, maybe the CR will even be too high, I'll have to measure. Another possibility is use regular 1700 heads that are 1mm (or a bit more) shaved.
So what do you guys think, this should make a very good 8v boxer. I will keep you updated as there is progress but this is a side project without time pressure.

Veesix75

Re: 1800 8v with Nissan pistons.

Post by Veesix75 »

Excellent, thanks Bert, interested to see the results.

vecchioalfa

Post by vecchioalfa »

This looks very interesting, think I will order a set ;)

bert308

Post by bert308 »

What to do about the headgaskets, the regular 1700 ones are 88 mm diameter, too small. I thought to be smart and would get a pair of Nissan gaskets and cut to size, retrim the holes for headbolts etc., but looking at pics they don't have the coolant passage between cylinders. Need to find some car with 89-91mm pistons and same cylinderspacing as the Alfa, difficult... Otherwise order custom gaskets from for example http://www.cometic.com/custom-gaskets.aspx
Copper is also an alternative and can be made at home but I prefer regular MLS gaskets for dependable street use.

vecchioalfa

Post by vecchioalfa »

Yes head gaskets could be a problem unless enough of us do this and we could look into a group purchase. As we are only talking about 1mm difference a gasket manufacturer may be able to modify a standard 1.7 head gasket by carefully removing the existing compression ring and fitting a new ring 1mm larger diameter, the compression rings are only crimped on I think but obviously you need the right equipment to do this type of thing

bert308

Post by bert308 »

I received a PM from a member, here it is with my reply:

I used standard 16v gaskets in my 1800cc engine.
THe bore of the copper gasket is bigger than the original cylinder bore, somewhere around 88mm. The top of the piston is chamfered, or shaped at the top so that it is not a constant dimeter at the very top (of the piston), there is a step and the crown sits within the overall diameter of the piston. I did a number of dry fits after asking others what they had done when needing head gaskets for 89mm pistons - and they all said the same thing. Use standard gaskets after checking things out.

I hope that helps.

E.

Thanks E. I noticed the pistons are smaller diameter at the top, a used gasket will barely fit over the piston top. But I don't think it's possible to have a machine shop bore the cylinders with a taper at the top, the cylinder will still be 89 mm all the way and part of the gasket will be in the cylinder exposed to the combustion. Maybe there are some brands of gasket that are a bit bigger than the one I have here (Reinz). It is good to hear some used standard gaskets without problem. I will investigate further.
I will post this info in the thread so others can read and offer comments.

junior

Post by junior »

Hi Bert 308.

Your info and pictures have been most helpful as struggling to make decisions with my engine.

The original advert is sold out but E bay no's 151171854584 and 191156654195 are very similar and a good price.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/151171854584? ... EBIDX%3AIT

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/220426320325? ... EBIDX%3AIT

Hope the links work .

Has anyone got any further with fitting these pistons and overcoming the gasket problems ? Thanks Junior

AlfaCorseChris

Post by AlfaCorseChris »

This is great news actually !!!

Brilliant find ! Love it !!!

What I would like to see though, is if we could find matching piston rods from another/more powerful engine, that would fit the boxer blocks without issues on the crank

Anyone got anything in mind ?

PETROLHEAD

Post by PETROLHEAD »

You don't want much do you Chris? lol! :lol:
SHREW

I AM the Law!

Alfasud 1.7-16v, Charade Turbo SR, & The Dirty Diesels - GT Cloverleaf, 159 Ti Sportwagon, Saab 9-3 Sportwagon

bert308

Post by bert308 »

I think our boxers have short rods in order to not make the engine too wide. But they are strong enough as there is never a problem with them? There is a Chinese supplier of H-beam rods and they make them for a lot of applications. Don't be put off by the Chinese origin of the rods, I have a set for my Lancia 16v turbo engine (meant for the Montecarlo) and quality is superb (ok, by just looking at them) but there are no complaints found on the web and they are sold everywhere in large numbers, I only paid 200 euro + shipping form Germany. They seem to have a fairly standardized production process and seem to make rods in any size just by entering the numbers in their machining, but non offered for the Alfa boxer though. Not sure if they would make a batch for a group buy if we specify length and big and small end diameter...
Link to these rods (but found them for less elsewhere) www.ebay.de/itm/181043038744
Didn't realize this thread is that old already but just past week I dismantled a 16v block and it is ready to take to the machine shop, together with a pair of heads that I put new valve guides in and have new valves for. I will let them, besides boring the block, surface the block and heads to have a clean base for maybe copper head gaskets, or I will try regular 87mm gaskets first.
I'll use a 16v block because of the oil sprayers in the main bearings. Also the 16v has a bigger oil pump and hardened crankshaft, though that could be transferred into an 8v block.

junior

Post by junior »

Hi.

Did not realise they had a larger pump.

Do you know yet exactly what your going to bore the block out too ? Would be very interested in your decision.

I am having a 8v done but rather concerned at boring out too much and cracking the block under use.

I believe it was often a problem in the day and these parts are sadly not improving as time goes on.

Thanks

PETROLHEAD

Post by PETROLHEAD »

you should be quite safe taking a 1712 block to 1800, and a tad more (89mm Pistons)

its when you start to stretch above 89mm that the block cylinder walls can come into question, so if done correctly, you should be good to go.
SHREW

I AM the Law!

Alfasud 1.7-16v, Charade Turbo SR, & The Dirty Diesels - GT Cloverleaf, 159 Ti Sportwagon, Saab 9-3 Sportwagon

Johnboy

Post by Johnboy »

Yeah 89mm Pistons are the way forward ;)