found & bought - another Alfasud Ti series 1!!

vecchioalfa

found & bought - another Alfasud Ti series 1!!

Post by vecchioalfa »

I have some good news.... I have found & bought another alfasud Ti series 1
The car is leaving Sydney Australia tomorrow and docks in Southampton in about 45-60 days
I have already given Shrew a heads up on helping me collect it from the docks.
He are a few photos:
Attachments
OZ SUD 1.jpg
OZ SUD 2.jpg

vecchioalfa

Re: found & bought - another Alfasud Ti series 1!!

Post by vecchioalfa »

The car has some corrosion issues around the boot hinge area like the one I am currently restoring had but the car looks to be fairly original except for the wheels. I am not 100% sure on the year of manufacture but it looks like a 1977 - bonded front screen but it has a rear valance without the cut out for the straight tailpipe although that is not easy to see in the photos.

its_welshy

Post by its_welshy »

How much are the import costs, if you don't mind me asking?

vecchioalfa

Post by vecchioalfa »

That has been an issue to be honest, the absolute cheapest I quote I could get was £1215 - shipping only :roll: and that's as RO/RO, not in a container, the vendor has sprayed the car with fish oil to keep the salt spray off it or there may be not much left by the time it gets here!!
I imported a car from the US about 8 years ago and it was about £500 so this is much more than that but it is a lot further isn't it
The car itself was not much money but after all the shipping and transport both ends its not going to be a cheap car but the difficulty has been finding an early Ti at any money recently so I decided to go for it

KevJTD

Post by KevJTD »

are you planning on riding down with shrew to collect it mate? wouldn't mind riding shotgun with you 2 when you do ;)

we have a customer at work who visits a few times through the summer, assie ken we call him which he hates, he's from new zealand :D apparently NZ and auusies don't always get on....
anyway, he oftens imports a container or 2 of vw's etc as they are dirt cheap and rust free in NZ. he pays around £2k for a container which he gets 4 cars in.
not much help to you now though i guess :D

i'd love to come down for the trip if you're going, sure shrew would love the company ;)
Giulietta JTD 170
Lancia Delta integrale
Lancia Flavia coupe 1.8 1963
Lancia Dedra turbo
Renault Clio 197 RS

I'm bad with people things
But I should have tried more

Sud 145

Post by Sud 145 »

WOW - there's dedication for you. You guys down south good heavens only a Sud could tempt you.

Bluesuit

Post by Bluesuit »

1978 Sud 5M
1978 Sud 5M
Those wheels look the same as the ones I had on my series 1 5m (1978) so are Alfa and of the right era, if not the steels you expect on a Ti.

Ian
Alfa Mito 1.6JTDM-2 QV Line

vecchioalfa

Post by vecchioalfa »

KevJTD wrote:are you planning on riding down with shrew to collect it mate? wouldn't mind riding shotgun with you 2 when you do ;)

we have a customer at work who visits a few times through the summer, assie ken we call him which he hates, he's from new zealand :D apparently NZ and auusies don't always get on....
anyway, he oftens imports a container or 2 of vw's etc as they are dirt cheap and rust free in NZ. he pays around £2k for a container which he gets 4 cars in.
not much help to you now though i guess :D

i'd love to come down for the trip if you're going, sure shrew would love the company ;)
Yes Kev no problem.... I was going to suggest it.... :D
Yes the shipping price is a killer but hey ho...., if you think how much stuff goes on/in a container ship they must make some serious money... but then again imagine the diesel fuel cost for one of these container ships!!
I think its going to be 1 1/2 - 2 months to get to Southampton, as soon as I have a more accurate date I will let you know ;)

vecchioalfa

Post by vecchioalfa »

Bluesuit wrote:
image.jpg
Those wheels look the same as the ones I had on my series 1 5m (1978) so are Alfa and of the right era, if not the steels you expect on a Ti.

Ian
Yes I think you are right Ian, the seller also had a set of momo alloys for sale but personally I like the standard Ti steel wheels

PETROLHEAD

Post by PETROLHEAD »

Sounds like we have a bit of a boys road trip ahead! :D

Think maybe we should overnight it somewhere coastal and fun loving?

No, i didn't mean brighton! ;)
SHREW

I AM the Law!

Alfasud 1.7-16v, Charade Turbo SR, & The Dirty Diesels - GT Cloverleaf, 159 Ti Sportwagon, Saab 9-3 Sportwagon

Ted27sud

Post by Ted27sud »

I would have thought Brighton's right up your street Shrew...........? :lol:

KevJTD

Post by KevJTD »

Ted27sud wrote:I would have thought Brighton's right up your street Shrew...........? :lol:
if we're off to brighton then count me out :?
Giulietta JTD 170
Lancia Delta integrale
Lancia Dedra turbo
Renault Clio 197 RS

vecchioalfa

Post by vecchioalfa »

:) what a couple of jokers!!!

Update on the car is that it is now on its way, the ship left Sydney on Monday and I have the bill of loading, I will leave it couple of weeks and then try to get a date it will dock at Southampton so we know what's happening, and look into the customs side of it, there has been no VAT to pay as it is from outside the EU but there will be import duty but shouldn't be too bad I hope, as long as the ship doesn't sink all should be good....... :D

PETROLHEAD

Post by PETROLHEAD »

Looking forward to this one mate, should be a good car by the sounds of it, and an adventure right from the outset! :D

As for Brighton, well :roll: i never! :cry:
SHREW

I AM the Law!

Alfasud 1.7-16v, Charade Turbo SR, & The Dirty Diesels - GT Cloverleaf, 159 Ti Sportwagon, Saab 9-3 Sportwagon

Johnboy

Post by Johnboy »

Powered by the dark side
Gt jtdm blackline
S2 33 cl veloce 16v sleeping
Freestyle superjet jetski

Mufasa

Post by Mufasa »

vecchioalfa wrote::) what a couple of jokers!!!

Update on the car is that it is now on its way, the ship left Sydney on Monday and I have the bill of loading, I will leave it couple of weeks and then try to get a date it will dock at Southampton so we know what's happening, and look into the customs side of it, there has been no VAT to pay as it is from outside the EU but there will be import duty but shouldn't be too bad I hope, as long as the ship doesn't sink all should be good....... :D
Are you positive?
I brought my wife's VW Beetle from USA and had to pay VAT in Rep of Ireland-I'm a Paddy you know...
05Alfa1662.0GrigioGeo-Daily
01Alfa1663.0Manual-Proteo Rosso
00Alfa1662.5Sporto-Verde Argo
99Alfa1662.5V6GrigioNettuno-Track Car
84Alfasud1.5GoldCloverleafFlorentineCopper

vecchioalfa

Post by vecchioalfa »

Mufasa wrote:

Are you positive?
I brought my wife's VW Beetle from USA and had to pay VAT in Rep of Ireland-I'm a Paddy you know...

That is what the shipping company this end told me, whether they meant no VAT on the shipping cost or no VAT on the purchase price of the car or both I am unsure.... we will have to see how it all unfolds I guess....

Mufasa

Post by Mufasa »

vecchioalfa wrote:
Mufasa wrote:

Are you positive?

That is what the shipping company this end told me, whether they meant no VAT on the shipping cost or no VAT on the purchase price of the car or both I am unsure.... we will have to see how it all unfolds I guess....
Vecchio let's be honest, it was never an economic decision anyhow!!! :lol:

vecchioalfa

Post by vecchioalfa »

...er I don't know, I'm happy with the car + shipping price

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/171345780075? ... _81wt_1305

Series 1 Ti's are so hard to find now in the UK or Europe, it will be interesting to see what that SII Ti makes on e-bay that Adam is selling, I wouldn't be surprised to see that car make over a grand, that car is well restorable but it will have major inner corrosion issues

Mufasa

Post by Mufasa »

Vecchio-sounds like pure man maths to me!
I don't need convincing at all-I have a few Alfas after all....

PETROLHEAD

Post by PETROLHEAD »

I think it will all work out well enough by the time you've got it in your grubby mits!

Hopefully her majesties won't sting you for a huge slice too as thought, and jobs a good'un!
SHREW

I AM the Law!

vecchioalfa

Post by vecchioalfa »

Hi Shrew,
ETA on the car is 3rd. September :) so we are looking at a few days after that I would think taking into account unloading & customs paperwork etc.
Cheers,
Adi

PETROLHEAD

Post by PETROLHEAD »

Ill pencil it in for the few days to follow then, and we'll take it from there i guess.

Ooh how exciting eh! Lol!
SHREW

I AM the Law!

vecchioalfa

Post by vecchioalfa »

Today has been the day that I finally got my hands on this motor.....
With Shrews help we went to collect it today, here are a few pictures, I will take some more tomorrow. 1st impressions are that its a great car with little corrosion, a good buy, corrosion is limited mostly to rear valance and boot hinge area
Attachments
18914 017.JPG
18914 019.JPG
18914 020.JPG
18914 021.JPG
18914 022.JPG

vecchioalfa

Post by vecchioalfa »

:)
Attachments
18914 023.JPG

KevJTD

Post by KevJTD »

looks promising mate, gutted to have missed out on a road trip but things changing here lately prevented it.

looking forward to seeing a detailed report soon 8-)
Giulietta JTD 170
Lancia Delta integrale
Lancia Dedra turbo
Renault Clio 197 RS

Greencloverleaf pat

Post by Greencloverleaf pat »

Looks a very good buy.

alfachris

Post by alfachris »

Looks good so what's the plan with it?

vecchioalfa

Post by vecchioalfa »

KevJTD wrote:looks promising mate, gutted to have missed out on a road trip but things changing here lately prevented it.

looking forward to seeing a detailed report soon 8-)
No worries mate, sorry it was very short notice but HMRC were dicking me around while at the same time charging me £10 a day 'storage' :roll:
I gave it a wash today to make sure any salt was removed as it has spent the last 3 1/2 months either at a port or on the deck of a ship, reading the info on the screen it looks like it changed ship in Korea :)
I took some more photos as well, I will stick 'em up later tonight
I was hoping to meet up next Thursday at the car show but the missus is working so will have to catch up some other time

vecchioalfa

Post by vecchioalfa »

Greencloverleaf pat wrote:Looks a very good buy.
Yes not much corrosion except for base of front screen and boot hinge area plus a few other bits just a shame the costs skyrocketed