FMJ820Y

PETROLHEAD

Re: FMJ820Y

Post by PETROLHEAD »

Following the usual route backwards, in 2" bore for the system, and finally, with all the space that removing the spare wheel well releases, it was time to show what that rear bumper and diffuser work has all been about.
DSC_3192 (1280x720).jpg

and i'm sure at this point H is gagging to get on his build thread! :lol:

so last one from me for now

DSC_3194 (1280x720).jpg
SHREW

I AM the Law!

Alfasud 1.7-16v, Charade Turbo SR, & The Dirty Diesels - GT Cloverleaf, 159 Ti Sportwagon, Saab 9-3 Sportwagon

KevJTD

Post by KevJTD »

bet he's itching to get it all plumbed up and hear it now, eh mate ;)

great pipework as always 8-)
Giulietta JTD 170
Lancia Delta integrale
Lancia Flavia coupe 1.8 1963
Lancia Dedra turbo
Renault Clio 197 RS

I'm bad with people things
But I should have tried more

Johnboy

Post by Johnboy »

Busy day chap ,system jlooks great 8-)
Powered by the dark side
Gt jtdm blackline
S2 33 cl veloce 16v sleeping
Freestyle superjet jetski

Kermit

Post by Kermit »

Hi Guys. got home 1/2 an hour ago
Can I just say a huge thanks to Shrew and Wayne for not only taking my mad idea on but for making it 10 x better than I thought possible :D :D :D
Shrew even bought me lunch :o :lol:

I will say one thing though - if the car was the colour Green that Shrews phone takes - I think I would of thrown up :mrgreen:

Only took a few pics as Shrew warned me that Wayne doesn't like "customers" around
005.JPG
Just to prove Shrew did get his hand dirty :lol:

And a couple more
014.JPG
015.JPG
016.JPG
The last couple were short of sunshine as by then it was 5.30Pm

All being well she's coming back here tomorrow, and hopefully get the ICE and brakes sorted (and get a local body shop to have a look at the paint) then off to the rolling road to get the motor sorted :D :D

Once again thanks Shrew and Wayne, I would recommend your work to anyone - some of those bends were amazing :!: :!:

Spacenut

Post by Spacenut »

Outstanding 8-)

Johnboy

Post by Johnboy »

Looking good chap and quite. Wide too thanks to shrew no doubt :lol:
Powered by the dark side
Gt jtdm blackline
S2 33 cl veloce 16v sleeping
Freestyle superjet jetski

PETROLHEAD

Post by PETROLHEAD »

ha ha!

that photo looks so staged! :lol:

I was busier and dirtier earlier in the day i assure you, you can't even make tea without getting sticky fingers, i assure you, tut :roll: that place!

ha ha! :lol:

besides, i wanted to stay relatively clean for our lunch date H!

something of note, Lauren in particular may comment on this one as i recall the Nova exhaust build elsewhere, but recently Wayne had reason to build a few exhaust for his own regular Autograss fraternity, but without the use of pipe collectors, instead blending the pipes smoothly as we did on Harveys manifold intersections today.

The engines in these cars, vauxhall red top for example, are built to regs, and performance return is quite a well known target and expectation, and previously recorded, and when dyno'ed with no more than the new exhaust, (same layout designs, replaced due to damage) there were small, but none the less noted gains here and there, namely in the midrange iirc.

It may take longer, but gains for gains sake, no matter how small really, are worth the effort, and so this method will very likely find its way onto all exhaust from now on.

Collector design has been debated many times before, and no harm in doing so again, but if Wayne has found some real world positive experience from this method, thats good enough for me to run with for now.
SHREW

I AM the Law!

Alfasud 1.7-16v, Charade Turbo SR, & The Dirty Diesels - GT Cloverleaf, 159 Ti Sportwagon, Saab 9-3 Sportwagon

sud_1.5ti

Post by sud_1.5ti »

Looks fantastic!!!

Kermit

Post by Kermit »

Thanks for the positive comments guys & Girls !
As for design style
I wanted M3 style quads
Shrew choose the size of pipes
Wayne came up with "stepping" the outer pipes back about 1/2 inch which then follows the curve of the bumper

So we all had a little input and the final results are top notch, just have to get her ready for "national Alfa Weekend" on May 10 - 11 :oops:

Now that would be a target :o
H

Mufasa

Post by Mufasa »

Looking great and very purposeful!
Looking forward to seeing it finished....
05Alfa1662.0GrigioGeo-Daily
01Alfa1663.0Manual-Proteo Rosso
00Alfa1662.5Sporto-Verde Argo
99Alfa1662.5V6GrigioNettuno-Track Car
84Alfasud1.5GoldCloverleafFlorentineCopper

Spacenut

Post by Spacenut »

Looking very nice indeed I must say.

I guess blended joints without pre-fabricated collectors minimises disruption to the gas flow by reducing the number of joints from 3 down to 1; it has to make a difference :D

I just used pre-fab parts from Jetex to make my system - but I must admit I had bigger worries trying to get it all to fit!

Unfortunately the secondary collector lengths are unequal due to the packaging issues. When I get round to doing the Mk2 version (in stainless, hopefully) I will address this. As it stands, this arrangement is a lot better than the one I started with!

Lauren

PETROLHEAD

Post by PETROLHEAD »

Yes i remember that particular snakepit Lauren, and still think you did very well to get it on at all! ha ha!

Your primaries look pretty good for equality at the very least Lauren, do you recall how close you got them?

I know you enjoy doing as much as possible yourself Lauren, even the git bits like this, but if you want a hand with anything next time round, just give us a shout.

FMJ was delievered back to Harvey this afternoon, or more accurately to the lads workshop where it will recieve some 2.5 kilowatt of ICE i believe! :o

Good job it has a 1712cc and stiff springs H! :D :D :D
SHREW

I AM the Law!

Kermit

Post by Kermit »

petrolhead wrote:Yes i remember that particular snakepit Lauren, and still think you did very well to get it on at all! ha ha!

Your primaries look pretty good for equality at the very least Lauren, do you recall how close you got them?

I know you enjoy doing as much as possible yourself Lauren, even the git bits like this, but if you want a hand with anything next time round, just give us a shout.

FMJ was delievered back to Harvey this afternoon, or more accurately to the lads workshop where it will recieve some 2.5 kilowatt of ICE i believe! :o

Mid life crisis springs to mind :lol: :lol:
Never had a sub when I was young so just wondering how Ozzy Ozbourne going to sound :twisted:

Bit worried about the rear wheel clearance though :(
still need to fit the "carbon" arches :shock:

Keep ya posted
H

PETROLHEAD

Post by PETROLHEAD »

I would suggest rolling your arches first H, it can make a huge difference, and your arches do have a large return face on them too being new.

You could make enough room that youll end up with spacers!

Hmmmm, wiiiiide! Ha ha!
SHREW

I AM the Law!

Kermit

Post by Kermit »

petrolhead wrote:I would suggest rolling your arches first H, it can make a huge difference, and your arches do have a large return face on them too being new.

You could make enough room that youll end up with spacers!

Hmmmm, wiiiiide! Ha ha!
Hi Shrew,
Could be bad news but asked a guy that owns a paint shop over the road from where you dropped her off to have a look at the paint to see if it could be cut back / flatend and then polished out.

No f****** way was the answer :(

Worst still he recons that some of the "craters" are from oil from the air supply and "may" result in the paint flaking off or making it impossible to just coat over :( :( :(

Back to subject - If I "roll" the arch can I still fit the arch covers (I assume I will have to trim them back as well) and do I need to do this BEFORE she gets her respray ??

OR I could just put the standard springs back in and Keep the Spaxs shocks !!

H

PETROLHEAD

Post by PETROLHEAD »

Yeah if you roll the arches, you can decide how far to go yourself.

you can just fold the return lip in, or you can keep going and flare it out wider than stock.

if you just do the former, the lip tuck, then the profile of then outer arch won't change at all and the kit should still fit as per standard, and then yes to make the most of it, trim the kit retun back to match.

if you do this and seal it all up whist its all fresh and new, then no damp or crud should ever get stuck in there either, and preserve the arches much better.

I have an arch roller if you need one, alternatively, there's a franchise company called "arch enemy" that do mobile jobs, or you can hire the tool (ebay) or buy a good'un at your local tool shop i should think.

mines was a powertek or protek if i recall, one of the better ones, and cost about £150 i think.
SHREW

I AM the Law!

Spacenut

Post by Spacenut »

petrolhead wrote:Yes i remember that particular snakepit Lauren, and still think you did very well to get it on at all! ha ha!

Thanks Shrew. From memory I think the primaries came out pretty near equal, to within a few mm. I just had to throw away some low frequency torque due to the uneven length secondaries. I can fix it, but only by increasing the length of the LH manifold to suit.

Hmm, 2.5 kW ICE eh? How very modern. I gave up listening to music in cars a long time ago, ever since the exhaust dB exceeded the ability of the amplifiers in fact. Of course ICE wasn't as powerful back then. These days I just listen to the engine note hoping that it doesn't falter :lol:

Why not connect an electric motor to the power amp instead? Then you could have a hybrid - stick some Sabbath on and see how fast you can go on metal power!!!

(actually for sheer white noise I would recommend Napalm Death)

I also need to apologise to Harvey for cluttering up his nice thread with my BIG pictures - sorry mate ;)

Lauren

PETROLHEAD

Post by PETROLHEAD »

Napalm Death!

that takes me back to my Nottinghams Rock City days, :twisted:

and when i had hair :cry:

ha ha! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
SHREW

I AM the Law!

Kermit

Post by Kermit »

Thanks for the tip Shrew - might still go back to the std springs as the front is much higher :?

Lauren - Need the 2500W amp so I can hear "the sabbath" over the exhaust :lol:

Napalm Death Shrew :shock: must of been MORE than a few years back :lol:

PETROLHEAD

Post by PETROLHEAD »

no probs H, i hope it all works out in the end of course.

why not try the ride, and see if you can get away with trimming a turn off the spring?

sounds crude, but can work out very well to be honest.

and yes, it was a long time ago! lol!

17.5 stone in my 32" speedo's back then, naturally wavey hair below my shoulders, and some early scratchings of my tattoo addiction! 8-)

i actually broke a lads arm in Rock City, leaping onto the stage from a speaker cabinet when the first bass chords of Rage against the machine found my lugholes, slipping on the 80 pints of beer on the stage floor, knocking the lad clean off his feet into an involuntary stage dive, and his mates didn't even consider catching him, Crack! I was sure i heard it over Tom Morello's guitar!

I carried on as if i was King Mosh, and nothing had happended! :roll:

terrible behaviour!
SHREW

I AM the Law!

Kermit

Post by Kermit »

RESPECT

:D :D

Shame you haven't got a "Rock horns" smiley

H

Spacenut

Post by Spacenut »

You youngsters with your new-fangled pop bands, I don't know :lol:

Back in my day it was down to the Portsmouth Locarno for spot of Anti-Pasti, rounded off with a main course of the Damned (with Capt. Sensible of course). Moshing hadn't been invented then, so the audience used to riot to pass the time... :shock:

I still think you should harness that audio power to produce forward motion - how about a tuned audio port working like a pulse-jet? Of course you would need the right music to make it work. Some bish-bosh, perhaps?

Lauren

Alfasixnut

Post by Alfasixnut »

Great work on the Sud - Nice exhaust - and I like the quad pipe tips - wonder why???
Interesting tales of misspent youth and music tastes
Pulse jets are cool - there are some great clips on "you tube" of a pulse jet powered bike!

PETROLHEAD

Post by PETROLHEAD »

Spacenut wrote:You youngsters with your new-fangled pop bands, I don't know :lol:

Back in my day it was down to the Portsmouth Locarno for spot of Anti-Pasti, rounded off with a main course of the Damned (with Capt. Sensible of course). Moshing hadn't been invented then, so the audience used to riot to pass the time... :shock:

Lauren

Mosh, Riot, The Pit?

its all the same, loads of beer n teeth all over the floor! :lol:

sweet memories eh......

If i did it today it'd be a race to which finishes me off first, Hernia or Heart Attack?

Better stick to the Bolero!

Pulse jets are so cool, their simplicity is just sublime, keep fancy having a bash at one if i get five!
SHREW

I AM the Law!

Johnboy

Post by Johnboy »

Yeah pulse jets where quite popular with the third rike too :lol: