Bosch Electronic Ignition

Spacenut

Bosch Electronic Ignition

Post by Spacenut »

Hi everyone - I am trying to reinstate the Bosch electronic ignition that come with my 1.5 Ti engine. When I first installed the engine into the Green Machine the distributor had no connectors and no ignition module, so I slapped on the points distributor from my original single carb engine and the rest is history.

But a couple of years ago I fixed a Porsche 911 SC ignition box for a friend of mine, and used the Alfa distributor to test the functionality. Flushed with success, I found the modern equivalent to the Bosch ignition module (£23), but the special shielded cable that goes between the module and the distributor is outrageously expensive (£85), and all because of the non-standard 2-pin connector.

This so-called "green wire" is used on Porsche 911, 914, 928, various Mercs etc., and all of them are the same ridiculous price!

Does anyone know of a cheaper alternative? I could make the connector myself (in fact I already have, using a modified £2 connector and some screened cable from an EFI parts supplier), but I am not sure how reliable it would be, so I would prefer to use the original connector if possible.

Can anyone point me in the direction of a budget alternative, or will I have to swallow hard and fork out 85 quid for a piece of wire!???!!

Thanks guys,

Lauren

rsfruitbat

Re: Bosch Electronic Ignition

Post by rsfruitbat »

Hi Lauren
Know anyone with a 3d printer???
Rsfruitbat

LooLooSud33Spider

Post by LooLooSud33Spider »

Hi Lauren. Some time back I posted a fag packet sketch of the Green lead and its connections that may be useful .
Louise

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=2870
Alfasud Ti 1984
Alfa Spider 2.0 Ts 916
Alfa Spider 20v Turbo

junior

Post by junior »

The small firm that helped me so much with the Lancia was H and H ignition solutions. Brierly Hill 01384 261500.

I would give them a ring and see if you can send them a picture of what your after if they don't recognize it.

I just e mailed a few pictures, before they took the job on. Very helpfull and reasonable if not cheap price.

Good luck.

Spacenut

Post by Spacenut »

Thanks everyone for your replies, Lou in particular - where was I when you posted that??? Very useful.

Looks like the availability of this connector is main issue, so I will look into making one. Because of chassis obstructions I run the dizzy clocked 90 degrees compared to standard factory orientation, and this is fine for a points dizzy, but the electronic variety has the special plug located further around the body, so I will need to make a plug with a 90 degree elbow.

Lauren