Gearbox query

StescoG66

Gearbox query

Post by StescoG66 »

Good afternoon all. I am just thinkinng ahead here to the winter jobs, so not something I am going to deal with immediately. My car has the classic crunching on 2nd and 3rd gears unless you change very slowly. They are known for this after all. A few questions:-

1 - in the immediate short term, would gearbox oil change or an additive help matters? As with the M32 box would a bit of overfill maybe do some good?

2 - Are replacement synchros and baulk rings available? Presumably there must be equivalents if not, although I would imagine these will have been used across other FIAT group cars.

3 - I have a spare gearbox sitting here so will likely refurb that off the car. How can you identify which gearbox it is as I don't want anything too low geared. The speedo drive and change linkage are different but I daresay these are easy to swap across (I have done the speedo drive before)

Thanks in advance
Si puo diventare Alfista
Si puo anche nascere come Alfista

Ma si muore sempre come Alfista

alfadave

Re: Gearbox query

Post by alfadave »

Try Charlie Skinner at Cloverleaf Transmissions in Cumbria for your answers.

rsfruitbat

Post by rsfruitbat »

One trick I know to is swap 5th gear with 2nd.
5th gear one side isn't used and the other only light usage.
If you need spares pinch 5thr gear synchro from another box

StescoG66

Post by StescoG66 »

I haven’t opened the box up yet, but the one on the car has the number 107 200 on the end where the selector rod enters it ( could be 206 or 208 too, it’s hard to make out)
My ‘spare’ box has 133 724 on it. Do these numbers indicate which ratio gearbox it is?

Edit. Picture attached of selector end box on car
20230722_104834.jpg
Si puo diventare Alfista
Si puo anche nascere come Alfista

Ma si muore sempre come Alfista

alfadave

Post by alfadave »

Ian at Sudshop may be able to answer your question.