Wipers won’t stop

Sprint88qv

Wipers won’t stop

Post by Sprint88qv »

Hi guys, was on my way back from a show today in my 88 Sprint. It started raining and now the wipers won’t stop :-(

According to the Haynes manual is the the “auto stop device” is faulty. Any idea where that is?

Cheers all,

Ed

KevJTD

Re: Wipers won’t stop

Post by KevJTD »

Either the switch has a fault internally and has bridged contacts inside keeping power supply to the motor or similar has happened inside the motor

Check the terminal at the motor, there should only be one wire with power to it for the self park function with the switch in the off position.
If you have power at 2 terminals (with switch off) then the switch is faulty.

My guess is that the sprung steel tang inside the motor has bent and is touching the wrong segment on the circular contact, so the self park live has moved from the 3/4 circle where it should sit and is touching the full circle which is for the switched live.

There's a betterexplanation on here somewhere.
Giulietta JTD 170
Lancia Delta integrale
Lancia Flavia coupe 1.8 1963
Lancia Dedra turbo
Renault Clio 197 RS

I'm bad with people things
But I should have tried more

Sprint88qv

Post by Sprint88qv »

Cheers Kev. I had the motor rebuilt about 4 years ago so I’m hoping it isn’t that end of things but then again, I guess it doesn’t mean it couldn’t happen. Will follow your tests and let you know where I come out.

Cheers again mate.

Sprint88qv

Post by Sprint88qv »

Well…. No sooner had I wrestled the scuttle tray out and got to the electrical connector…. Readings were ok. So I tested it and the wipers worked perfectly…. Hmmmm, before I put it all back together, I’ll leave it overnight and check it again tomorrow. Although Alfa electrics are very frustrating, I guess I can’t complain about a self-fixing car this time….