Who to rebuld an engine

chriswilliams

Who to rebuld an engine

Post by chriswilliams »

I bought a car and I now find that the engine is frost damaged (water leaks from a crack in the block).
My mistake!

I now need a replacement engine, so various questions:

1. Who do I go to for engine re-builds or to buy a short engine?
2. Are all 1500 blocks the same? I have an old engine (1983) and the 'new' engine is much later with hydraulic tappets. Would the blocks be compatible?

Any advice welcome.

Thanks,

Chris.

LooLooSud33Spider

Re: Who to rebuld an engine

Post by LooLooSud33Spider »

Hi Chris. Firstly If it’s got hyd tappets it’s most likely a late 33 IE engine. If you can scrape the boss to reveal the engine code it will help identify it.
Alfasud Ti 1984
Alfa Spider 2.0 Ts 916
Alfa Spider 20v Turbo

chriswilliams

Post by chriswilliams »

The damaged block is AR305 88, which I think is 1.5 33.

Can I use the heads from this on any 1.5 block?

Chris.

rsfruitbat

Post by rsfruitbat »

Hi Chris.
I think your heads will go on any block. What I think you would have to investigate is the comparability of the pistons.
If you could prep a block and fit your bottom end into it.......

Rsfruitbat

chriswilliams

Post by chriswilliams »

I think I am better off getting an expert to do the basic block/crank/pistons. I am happy to do all the rest!

Chris.

bobkelso

Post by bobkelso »

Hi, block, crankshaft, rods are basically the same (blocks before 1990 don't have holes to attach power steering pump), you can eventually mix them

more attention with the design of the pistons, that shoud fit the correct heads

from 1987 they changed the combustion chamber design (allowing use of lower octane fuel and with better combustion efficenty), these new engine boxers are named on spare catalogues " RON 95 " ( the lower octane fuel they can use)
the same combustion chamber design was used also in later boxers post 1990

the alfa 33 1.5 boxer engine coded AR 30588 should be already a RON 95 one,
produced in year 1988 (+-1 year), it has already the new combustion chamber design and big diameter valves so I think you can mix also new pistons with old heads or viceversa

EDIT: I looked at piston spare codes and they are ugual beetwen 1988 1.5 RON engine and last 1.5 engines post 1990 (with hydraulic tappets)

just to be sure, you can double check if pistons have identical combustion chamber design and same height respect the block when arriving at the top dead centre

PS: if you don't already know:

- hydraulic valve castle uses longer timing belts and specific valves (stem length is different) and slightly modified cam profiles

- intake manifold and carburators originally fitted on 30588 engine could be 36mm or 40mm depending the year (last 30588 where surely fitted with 40mm)

- post 1990 boxer engines all use 40mm intake manifold and carburators

- you can aventually choose if use 36 or 40mm, maybe better (?) if a manifold type is used with his original carburators and eventually also cam profile

- all post 1990 engines where fitted with a bigger oil pump (+3mm taller gears), it gives a bit better oil flux, you can eventually move it from one block to the other

Good job with the puzzle :)

alfadave

Post by alfadave »

Is your 'old engine' complete with cylinder heads, or do you just have the block?

alfadave

Post by alfadave »

........and do you have the carbs?

junior

Post by junior »

K an L autos built my engine and its still running very well after a few years. Starts easily after winter and has plenty of go.

Good luck.

chriswilliams

Post by chriswilliams »

Thanks for the replies.

The story so far:

I have an old 1.5 engine with damaged con-rods, but the block seems to be OK after a strip down at the WE.(I have all bits for this engine including carbs. I need to check the carb size).
The later damaged engine says its 1.5, but has the hydraulic tappets and presumably compatible heads and pistons!
Until I get the engine out and the heads off I can't be 100% sure what I have got, so I have started getting the engine out, but I have 2 weeks off, so it will be some time before I report back.

I have also been talking to Will Dick who I believe ran a garage in Wolverhampton for some years. He seems to be a good source of knowledge.

In the end, if all goes well I hope to move the later crank, pistons, heads, oil pump etc into the old block! With a following wind I will be able to do it my self. I have to learn sometime.

Regards,

Chris.

Veesix75

Post by Veesix75 »

Well, if you decide to stick with the old route, I have a set of new but std size 1500 dished pistons and rings already fitted to a set of good rods. No good for a rebore but if the block is good and just a hone is needed then it could be a plan B

justsuds

Post by justsuds »

Will Dick is a good source of info, he has years ofexperience, - he will know what is compatable with what with regard to early v later engines.
Cheers, John.