How to remove a CV joint

chriswilliams

How to remove a CV joint

Post by chriswilliams »

I would quite like to change an outer (CV) joint, but to do that you must get the old one off! (sud not 33)

Has anybody managed this?

I have done a lot of work with a big hammer to no effect. I have also tried a bottle jack pushing it off and reached the stage where I am afraid to go any further!

Any advice appreciated.

Chris

LooLooSud33Spider

Re: How to remove a CV joint

Post by LooLooSud33Spider »

Hi Chris. To replace the outer shaft boots on Sud shafts the best way is usually to remove the inner end. Start by removing The shaft from the gearbox. Then prise off the steel cap that covers the cv joint. Inside you’ll see the end of the shaft and a circlip. Remove the clip and any ties holding the boot to the shaft. You should then be able to remove the inner cv joint with its boot from the shaft. Beware that there is. Concave washer that sits on the shaft before the cv joint ensure you refit it when reassembling. Once you’ve got it all apart simply slide your old outer boot off and your new one on remembering to repack the joints with fresh CV grease. See my sketchy picture for a general idea of the build up as described.
DCF8F79F-9B69-480A-8CFD-D5E78A385DF2.png
1). Steel cap
2). Circlip
3) inner joint
4) concave washer
5 ) inner boot
Hope this helps
Alfasud Ti 1984
Alfa Spider 2.0 Ts 916
Alfa Spider 20v Turbo

LooLooSud33Spider

I’m a little concerned about your use of a bottle Jack ! There is a circlip holding the outer joint on. But they’re such a pain to open reliably we found the aforementioned method the best and quickest way I’m just hoping you haven’t knackerd it by using the bottle Jack !
Alfasud Ti 1984
Alfa Spider 2.0 Ts 916
Alfa Spider 20v Turbo

LooLooSud33Spider

Please refer to the attached pics taken from the official manual. The manual covers the original shafts from 73/4 but they are basically the same. As the shafts on later cars
65DDD560-AF36-480C-A6BE-E9D61A4A9C16.jpeg
8B185F38-1AD6-44DB-A952-A64BB08D5BF5.jpeg
As I previously mentioned there is a circlip in the outter shaft but they are such a
Pain to get open to allow the shaft to be removed I’ve always done them the way I explained previously
Alfasud Ti 1984
Alfa Spider 2.0 Ts 916
Alfa Spider 20v Turbo

Pedrokat

Post by Pedrokat »

Hi All, when you say you want to replace a CV, does this mean you have found a source of outer CV?
I would dearly like to replace my 105hp sprint Outer CV joints, as 40 yrs of use has made them occasionally noisy, but I cannot find replacements anywhere..
Any leads welcome
Peter
Sprint green cloverleaf 1.5.
Lancia integrale evo2
Ducati 748s